The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Submix EQ'ing for vocal clarity
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Submix EQ'ing for vocal clarity

For getting vocals to stand out, do you guys generally eq individual instruments or do you eq the entire instrumental submix as a whole?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
For getting vocals to stand out, do you guys generally eq individual instruments or do you eq the entire instrumental submix as a whole?
generally, whatever the track requires...
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

if you eq individual instruments you can have more control.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I do both from time to time
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
I would try and create a hole/space for the vocals !I concentrate on instruments that might be in the vocal range and maybe dull them or do whatever i need to do so i can reduce the clash. You can also get panoramic clashes , where there is too much of the one frequency in the same part of the spectrum , try off-setting those instruments slightly left or right , the object is to create a virtual space for the vocal to sit in , this is what i keep in mind ! If this is not taken into consideration most often people turn up their vocal to sit above the music , which kinda makes them stick out and not be one with the track ....

Hope this helps
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

i like eq individual instruments so i can create space for the vocals.
same for the drums but i after i get them sounding the way i want i send them to drum bus.
i hate working with 2tracks unless its someone i work with and i know they know what they're doing.
the only time i work with 2 tracks is when im just trying to get the song recorded. i'll bounce a 2 track(if my team or myself did the track), record the artist then when i do the mix i'll track it out so i have full control of the mix

for these so called producers(aka beat makers) that come to me talkin bout "I already mixed and mastered the track just need to lay the vocals"

i tell them everytime. let ME mix the track. it'll sound a hell of a lot better and have far more dynamics... if not, recording with the stuff i have over a 2 track your vocals are gonna end up sounding a lot better than the track... they don't listen. and what real funny is some don't even know how to track out their own equipment.
i get some of these guys to bring me the files or the equipment so i can track it through my converters etc. the ones that don't always seem to ask me, "why doesn't it sound like this song you did or that one...cuz that distorted 808 is eating up headroom and lets not talk about those loud ass bright hi hats...what can i say....beat makers...LOL

sorry had to vent a little
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I can't imagine wanting to EQ the entire mix if the option of working w/ individual tracks is available.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search