The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 160x was the missing link
Old 24th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
The 160VU's do still have a great reputation for drums, whether you believe it or not.
Maybe in Scotland, Jacc.

Quote:
The 160VU's do still have a great reputation for drums, whether you believe it or not.
I agree, they are good on drums.. They have different character than the 160x, xt, a units. But, they are great units that I would love to have in my rack. I just can't justify the cost of them at this point.
Lives for gear

The 160X smokes them for drums. Not to say that the 160 ain't good, but the 160X has the ummm, "X-factor". I'm not just basing this on my own judgement/opinion. I couldn't even count how many sessions I assisted where the 160X was used on the drums. On the flip side, not one engineer or producer EVER used the 160's for drums on my sessions. Rock, rap, r&b....they all used the 160X's. "They" would be huge names, too. All this took place at a big studio in Hollywood that had the reputation for having the most gear in town.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
I know what he's referring to. That's still wrong. Maybe back in the 70's or 80's these had a rep for drums, but in the 90's and now it's the 160X.
"yeah, well..... thats just like....your opinion, man."

The Dude
Lives for gear

Sweet! Now I got the fucc'n POOL GUY telling me that I'm mistaking my experience for an opinion.

Gearslutz....gotta love it.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sweet! Now I got the fucc'n POOL GUY telling me that I'm mistaking my experience for an opinion.

lol

dont sweat the small stuff
Gear Head

Wow...I guess there are a lot of 160x fans out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercut View Post
Can you describe how the DBX is better than the RNC? I'm considering both right now, and was wondering.
Well...the 160x just seems to have waayy more edge to it. It really makes the vocals punchy. Also, control-wise it is a no brainer and you can really hear the results right away. I kind of found that the RNC needed a lot more fine tuning to really make any difference. It was a nice piece of gear...but a bit wimpy when it came to rap vocals IMO.
Lives for gear

the t in the xt stands for transformer as it can be added as an option to the outs .....
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Ease up there, diz. I don't doubt your experience. But if you say this is better than that, I dont care who you are, it's your opinion.

Maybe, while you're sifting through my profile, you'll notice the "working engineer" part. This was 10 years of real studio experience. World class facilities - not project studios. This is where I have experience with the dbx compressors. I don't know how it is in Purgatory, but in New York, when I was working, it was the 160 VUs that I was patching in when assisting the big boys, Jacc. Maybe they were LANDSCAPERS... I dunno.

Jeez - apologies to the innocent bystanders here. I simply saw that in a discussion about 160X and XT units, the terms 160 and 165 were being used. I saw this as an opportunity to chime in with some potentially helpful info for people curious these compressors. Please excuse my participation.
Here for the gear

dbx 160AD

Found this thread maybe it can help people that are searching for facts about these dbx comps > https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...light=dbx+160a

I was looking for an 160a, and the only thing I came across is the following:
160AD

Is this the 'a' we're talking about, or is this another version?
If it's another version, what's the difference?
I can't find an '160a' here in Europe stores online.
I took a quick peek at the dbx-site but could not find anything on that moment.

thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roestvogel View Post
Found this thread maybe it can help people that are searching for facts about these dbx comps > https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...light=dbx+160a

I was looking for an 160a, and the only thing I came across is the following:
160AD

Is this the 'a' we're talking about, or is this another version?
If it's another version, what's the difference?
I can't find an '160a' here in Europe stores online.
I took a quick peek at the dbx-site but could not find anything on that moment.

thumbsup
This is the DBX 160A:

http://highprofileaudio.com/DBX160A.html
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I agree, they are good on drums.. They have different character than the 160x, xt, a units. But, they are great units that I would love to have in my rack. I just can't justify the cost of them at this point.

i agree, can't justify the cost.

but i did buy a couple of 160a comps straight outta D & D Studios...the nostalgia factor was HUGE.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
the t in the xt stands for transformer as it can be added as an option to the outs .....
There seems to be conflicting information about that, as I have read several times that the 160X could have the optional transformer fitted as well.

Jim Williams explained the differences between the 160X and 160XT in the thread that Roestvogel linked to above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The older 160 X has a lf351 opamp with a couple of really slow output transistors which give the X a cloudy sound. The XT has the identical circuit for the unbalanced output. The XT's balanced output uses a couple of 5534 opamps without the slow transistors. This is the sonic difference between the two. Many folks have commented on the sonic difference on these outputs. With the XT you have options: a cleaner, faster output or a "vintage" cloudy unbalanced output.
Old 25th January 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks Tony
Old 25th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
i always here ppl talkin bout usin the DBX on drums......

does anyone have any audio exampels of it "in action"?

or does anyone know of n e major songs that the drums were processed w/ the dbx?
Yeah, I think most of the Premo-Stuff has been done with it. I've seen the DBX @ D&D Studios the first time and instantly fell in love with them.

It's hard to describe but in general you can compress drums pretty hard pretty simple and it has it's own unique sound which I've never found on any other compressor.

Usually I just eq my kick and compress it with the dbx and use my lexicon after that to give it a small room.

I'll never sell those again!

Old 26th January 2007 | Show parent
vls
Gear Maniac

Hi!

What about the newer 160ADV on the drum bus?

Volker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vls View Post
Hi!

What about the newer 160ADV on the drum bus?

Volker
The newest 160 family products I know of are the 160 SL & 162 SL...
Lives for gear

Quote:
The newest 160 family products I know of are the 160 SL & 162 SL...
Tony, i did a google search and for some reason the 160a comes up as the 160adv in a lot of european stores online. Must be a marketing thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Tony, i did a google search and for some reason the 160a comes up as the 160adv in a lot of european stores online. Must be a marketing thing.
I think you're right... I've seen that designation before, but it doesn't appear to be a DBX Pro designation. I think their European distributor added it to clarify the PSU at 220V. I'm just guessing...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
A kat I grew up with who does rock has one in his stu (up until the stu was sold recently);
Ridiculous recordings.
C'mon...stop pissin on tha gear drool, its an 1176 with tubes! and an important piece in tha 1176 family. I will get one eventually...
Whats up Stitch......I have 176...it's not set up in my rack though and it's in mint condition...not for sale though...where you at in Phila.?

I have a Purple
MC77 and getting ready to get another one (I love them)great on vocals , guitar,bass , bass synth.....and on and on

I have had the original 1176 also black face.....also amazing!

My dbx 160a sits right next to my Chandler's
I sold my Tube Tech Cl1b (Much regrets)
Old 27th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Actually, to the best of my knowledge, the XT version is transformerless.

Has anyone mentioned whether they are using OverEasy when tracking a vocal. I recently used a 160XT in OverEasy while tracking a Rock vocal. It was the best compressor at my disposal, at the time. I think there was an RNC available too.

Chain was: SM7->OSA MP1C->DBX 160XT->APOGEE PSX

Sounds great.
Old 31st January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
Look at this auction

Ouch!

$$$$ pair of 175-B

At that price it better be a killer
To my knowledge the 175 b are the upgrades to 176.
Old 31st January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
Syki, since you have a 176 what do you think about the current price for the pair of 175's?
In other words do you think the 176 has a sound that deserves such a price?
I like the sound a lot but I remember you could find one 10 years ago in the $800
to $1200 dollar range ...Sh%t is crazy. Just like Fairchild compressors ...do you need one to make your tracks bump..? hell no!!!

I could think of a lot more things to spend $8500 with then a pair of 175b's,
On the other hand if you have that kind cake to get some specialty comps thats cool!! I'm hear in Phila. and I have a tech that did work on my 176 and it sounds STUPID!

I'd spend that money on a pair of La 3a's, pair of purple audio Mc77's, Cl1b, la 2a
Just my thoughts.

i'll post a pic of my 176 soon!!!
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
There seems to be conflicting information about that, as I have read several times that the 160X could have the optional transformer fitted as well.

Jim Williams explained the differences between the 160X and 160XT in the thread that Roestvogel linked to above.
Both X and XT can have a transformer added. I know, I have both (my X is fitted w/ xfrmr)

XT has XLR outs.
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

If I'm interested in getting a couple 160s for drums, is it worth looking for an older 160x or 160xt (and which one), or will I attain the same end with a new 160a?

(The x and xt versions often go, used, from reputable dealers, for right around the same price as the new 160a models.)

Thanks...
📝 Reply