The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't decide...I need your .02
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Can't decide...I need your .02

Hey guys, I almost posted this in the "so much gear" spot, but decided that since I will be mostly making Hip Hop with the keyboard I choose, I should post it here.
So here goes:

I'm looking to buy my first keyboard...at first I thought I'd buy an M-Audio Axiom (49 key) but figured I'd want some sounds to start out with and don't really need the pads cause I use my MPC.
So I've decided to save a little more dough and get a synth that costs around $700.

I really like the Korg MicroX...I've heard great things about them and like the features...I do kind of wish it had more than 25 keys.

The other candidate is the Korg X50. This Synth is only $50 more and has 61 keys, but doesn't seem to boast such an impressive sound bank as the MicroX.

Which should I go with? Also, would these be good choices for hip hop? I'm thinking mainly bass lines here...I use samples quite a bit and need a way to get some expressive bass lines...

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance, ya'll

-b.read
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd get whatever sounds better to you. It sounds like you like the MicroX more, and the extra keys aren't really worth it if you're just needing basslines.

For what it's worth, if basslines are your MAIN goal, then i'd look into everything from one of the new Moog Phatty Stage editions, to a Novation Basstation, to some of the older roland bass synths. Surely, someone will also mention using a softsynth like Trilogy. Just go with whatever sounds best to your ears when you get your hands on it.

OR for the money, you could get yourself a decent DI and a Fender bass. A ton of great hip-hop and r&b sounds have been gotten out of them. Sounds simple, but if you want a bass sound, get a bass.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, it sounds simple to most...but I can't play a stringed instrument to save my damned breath! Seriously...for some reason I can play the hell outta some drums, but guitars? Forgetabouddit. I do have a good friend that's incredible on the bass...and he can lay down some stuff for me when it's appropriate for some complex ****...but other than that, I'd like to have a synth that has tight bass sounds in it so I can do it myself.

As for your suggestions, a phatty would be ideal, but unless I can find a steal on eBay I just can't swing $1200 right now. Maybe later down the road as my setup expands, but can't right now...

Haven't found a basstation here on the net yet...how much do those cost?

I've also been halfway considering an Alesis Ion...ever mess with one of these?

I know I need to do my own thang...but can't help but strive to get some tight basslines like Hi-tek or 9th get...not so much what I'm trying to copy, but if I get there by accident I wouldn't complain...ha ha ha...

appreciate ya help,

-b
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

to be honest - the best Hi-Tek style bassline ive ever achieved was by filtering a sample that I was using - and then chopping it apart. I've used Trilogy as well - and it has excellent bass, but I really liked the sound I got from using the filtered chopped sample.

not trying to plug my own stuff - but here is the example of a track I did with that filtered/chopped bass - no plugins.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4549171&q=hi

good luck thumbsup
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds good mayne...I dig the flavor the shaker adds....really feel that vocal part too...

Do you just use low pass filters with your samples to extract the bass or what?

Also, do you play them back through a drum machine or midi controller, somethin like that?

Not asking you to reveal any crazy secrets, but I'm somewhat new to the beatmaking game as far as sampling is concerned...I've gotta ton of stuff in my brain, but don't know the best/easiest/most creative way to get it out, nah mean? I know it may sound like a basic or simple question but none of my friends make beats, so I don't really have anyone to watch or learn from! Oh well...guess that's **** goes sometime...ha ha..

Any light you can shed on the process would be appreciated...

peace-

b.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks dude, appreciate that

there are 2 different samples in the track - the piano - and the vocal

the original piano sample had bass in it as well, so exactly right, i used an equalizer to get just the bass, and then using FL Studio I chopped up the waveform into the different bass notes, and then placed them in the seqencer. I did it using my mouse and clicking on the screen. Alternatively, I could have assigned them to keys or pads which would give a more natural feel (like playing an instrument), but I did it this way because I'm more comfortable.

hope this helped!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah it did....thanks...

so do you create your own bass lines, or just dig for bass sounds that you like and chop em up?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

both!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I'd get whatever sounds better to you. It sounds like you like the MicroX more, and the extra keys aren't really worth it if you're just needing basslines.

For what it's worth, if basslines are your MAIN goal, then i'd look into everything from one of the new Moog Phatty Stage editions, to a Novation Basstation, to some of the older roland bass synths. Surely, someone will also mention using a softsynth like Trilogy. Just go with whatever sounds best to your ears when you get your hands on it.

OR for the money, you could get yourself a decent DI and a Fender bass. A ton of great hip-hop and r&b sounds have been gotten out of them. Sounds simple, but if you want a bass sound, get a bass.
Dude pretty much summed it up. On synth basslines: Id add SE1X and a DBX500
A good Bass DI fer pre-production is the BassPod. And then when yer budget gets approved, retrack it with a session musician in an A room.
Also, with out a good AD all that sonic harvesting will go to waste.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

The MicroKorg is also incredibly phat for bass... The keys are very small, but you can get used to them with time, and/or use a seperate MIDI controller. The sound is meaty, and wet, which is perfect for laying nasty basslines.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search