The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with gear set up...PLEASE!!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Help with gear set up...PLEASE!!

What's up fellas. I really need you guys help with something. I have a two part question so bare with me.

1) Ok, in my studio I have 4 keyboards, 8 sound modules and 4 drum machines. In order to hear them all at one time, I have them all plugged in stereo into a Mackie SR32*4 mixer. My question is..how can I hook all these up for tracking(because I would dread tracking through the Mackie for sound quality reasons) with out having to go behind my desk and constantly swap out. I've heard a patchbay may work, some even said get another high quality mixer(like the Yamaha 02R). So any input is welcome.

2) Also, other that the equipment above, I have an Avalon 737, Disstressor, Lil Freq, DBX 160xt and Hedd 192. I running Protools HD Accel with the 96 interface with 8 inputs. I was wondering......do you guys suggest I use the above processors for tracking, inserts in Protools or both? And how should I connect them all?

Any input is appreciated..Thanks guys!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

you can fix it with the subgroups on the mixer. just plug your subgroup out into your audiocard.
whenever you wanna record something just select the subgoup on the channel you wanna record.
Old 19th January 2007
no ssl yet
Ace man you are running entirely too much **** to not have a few patchbays.

Buy the TT bays. There's less weight on the cable and it takes up less space.

Do a search for Mr.patchbay. He usually has pretty good prices. Get a couple of ADC patchpays with the PUNCHDOWN terminals so you won't have to do a bunch of soldering.

Plan out your patch bays and punchdown terminals in Excel, so you have EVERY point layed out before you start. From there it's like assembling a model.

If you wait till I'm back home, I'll walk you through it. (Or I'll do it for a small fee )

You definately need patchbays. And get rid of those 96 I/O's you have too much good **** to be hurting yourself at the converter level

OUts on top
Ins on the bottom
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Ace man you are running entirely too much **** to not have a few patchbays.

Buy the TT bays. There's less weight on the cable and it takes up less space.

Do a search for Mr.patchbay. He usually has pretty good prices. Get a couple of ADC patchpays with the PUNCHDOWN terminals so you won't have to do a bunch of soldering.

Plan out your patch bays and punchdown terminals in Excel, so you have EVERY point layed out before you start. From there it's like assembling a model.

If you wait till I'm back home, I'll walk you through it. (Or I'll do it for a small fee )

You definately need patchbays. And get rid of those 96 I/O's you have too much good **** to be hurting yourself at the converter level

OUts on top
Ins on the bottom
That's wuz up! But I don't us the 96 for the convertors. I use the conversion in the Hedd 192's when tracking!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

And what's the small fee? I might have to take you up on that!
Old 19th January 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
And what's the small fee? I might have to take you up on that!
PM me a list of everything you need connected.
Be sure to include EVERY SINGLE PIECE.
(I can figure out what to charge, and then later have you send me a more detailed list with the exact I/O configuration of each piece (IE MPC 4000 10 TRS outs, 2 TRS ins etc...)

I'd STRONGLY recommend you plan your patchbays well. Connecting is alot less difficult when you have planned carefully.

(I still have the excel documents of mine somewhere on one of my harddrives. I can give it to you or use it for a template if you have me do the work.)

It sounds as if you'll need at least 2 patchbays. (I can't totally say untill I see your list)

Here's a link to mr. patchbay

http://home.flash.net/~motodata/patchbays/

I'd recommend 96 point TT bantam patchbays with the punchdown terminals and the normals brought out to the punch blok (Again this will cut down on the soldering necessary. There will still be some soldering necessary to make cables but you only have to solder connectors on the ends that go to your gear).

If you are serious about doing this, send me a PM with your list/time frame etc...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

DEFINITELY patchbays. Im eyeing these for the Dsub flexibility. My question would be: is the Dsub or the direct wired harness a lower impact on the signal chain...
Old 23rd October 2014
Here for the gear

can some one plz tell me if i cud use a digidesign mbox 2 as an interface with a digidesign old control 24?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search