The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how much money $budget u think i need 2 have a computer setup 4 trackin beats at home
Old 18th January 2007
how much money $budget u think i need 2 have a computer setup 4 trackin beats at home

to track beats with high quality. im lookin for a pre-production setup..

what do i need to purchase? please break it down cause im not realy a computer person..

whats the best way to track beats? digitally or is it better to go through a console? how much we are talkin bout for a decent setup?

hows the quality on m-audio the protools cheaper version? what should i stay away from? and what should/shouldnt i get?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

about 5grand get mpc drum machine, a good keybaord controller and some really good sofysynths. ur hiphop so drums are the big part u can put that piano melody or whatever you want to the drums from softsynths. Than i would take the beat when finished and run it threw a really nice warm mic preorcompressor to phattan it up.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

You can get a custom PC built at a few sites, ie. ADK and Sonica Labs. Check them out at:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/
http://www.sonicalabs.com/

For software, if you want maximum compatibility, go Pro Tools. If you want sound quality, go Logic, Sonar, or Cubase. Sonar is cheapest and, to me, sounds best, but Cubase has more features. Logic is for Mac only now and has a steep learning curve but is full featured. You'llneed an external 7200 RPM hardrive for backup, a good pro sound card (preferably firewire).

My advice is to call ADK or Sonica and tell them what you need it for, and they'll direct you to the type of machine you'll need. I've never dealt with Sonica, but the folks at ADK are pretty helpful and honest.

Overall, though, I think you can get a good comp setup with a soundcard, backup HD, and converter for $3-4G.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Hey i liked that tracked u did with styles, i heard it from one of those tony belmont post.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

i guess it really depend on if you want to go hardware or software for trackin...

Hardware:

i would say get a Akai DPS 24( i have a DPS16) Multitrack Recorder, or the Korg D3200 ( I think thats the New one) its been gettin good reviews...

for tracking beats and/or vocals

Software:

The sky is the limit..on what you want to use and or comfortable with...

PRO TOOLS..which i think is still for MAC user only..(dont use it so i dont know)

Cubase- is great for PC tracking..good interface and plugin..

Adobe Audition- has the best noise reduction program out ..period for software..IMO..and is real great for trackin and recording (i Have this for editing)

Wavelab- not for trackin..but for wave editing purpose..

Nuendo- great just like Cubase..and you can edit video ..

most common system mac/pc setup for running the software programs are...

Mac OS X Version 10.4
Power Mac G4 1 GHz or Core Solo 1.5 GHz
512 MB RAM
Display Resolution 1024x768 pixels
CoreAudio compatible audio hardware

Windows XP Home or XP Professional
Pentium/Athlon 1.4 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows DirectX compatible audio hardware (ASIO compatible audio hardware recommended for low latency performance)
Display resolution 1024x768

soundcards..you on you own on that one..i know someone can give you a good answer on that..better the me..cause i dont record into the computer anymore..
Hope this some somwhat helpful
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknot1 View Post
Windows XP Home or XP Professional
Pentium/Athlon 1.4 GHz
512 MB RAM
tutt

No.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twin View Post
tutt

No.

NO what?

thats a minium requirement for most PC setup for most software programs...

and this is the Minium that Steinberg say you need to run their programs..
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Dude needs 2 gigs of RAM an a dual core processor to really get things moving. If you go PC and make beats, use Cubase or FL.

Just get an Maudio MIDI controller. Get Battery for your drums. Get whatever softsynths you like.

I would say to also grab Reason. Reason is really good for making beats fast, and you can then rewire it right into Cubase and mix there.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Since you already have a Dell, you don't need a new computer, and since you have a keyboard, you don't need a MIDI controller. All you really need is a way to get the audio and MIDI into your computer.

What model is the Dell? Most Dells are high quality, so you might not even need an upgrade to your computer. Since your just tracking beats you won't need a crazy system as you'll only be working with 20 tracks or less.

You will need a way to get MIDI and audio in and out of the computer. Hopefully you have a free PCI slot and can hook up this unit:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Delta1010/

If not there are firewire/USB devices you can buy.

As for software, you can get Cubase but I'd personally recommend Digital Performer. It's MIDI capabilities are incredible. It's a little slow on the audio editing side, but you'll get used to it:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Digperf

That's all you really need.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

My favourite set up for tracking out beats:

Mac G4 or G5
PT's 002
8 DI boxes
8 Mic pre's
8 compressors

MPC w/ 8outs
Controller
sound modules

Signal flow:

out of sound modules or MPC---> DI boxes----->Mic pre's-----> compressor---->Pt's

Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thats a minium
Which is why I said, "No."

Meth is right: 2 GB and dual core, preferably over 2 GHz if you can afford it.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Your dell is probably loaded with a bunch of stuff that will **** it up for tracking music...especially if you don't know much about computers.

I'd snatch a pre-built from one of the audio people if you're not up to the task. Since you're in the bay check out Central Computer...they are good people and know their ****. There's one in Fremont, SF, and SJ

http://centralcomputer.com/audio/

I'd snatch something like this:

http://centralcomputer.com/systems/Pro_Audio/daw-x2.asp

Definitely go 2gb ram...and if you decide to go the RME route they can install/config **** for you.

I'd grab an RME card, and a decent AD<>DA....or you could cut some corners and go with an MBOX. Probably the cheapest route and still effective.

If you're working with big studios I'd agree with the Pro Tools route, especially if you're already familiar with it, but I feel Cubase SX more.

A good mic / preamp (or channel strip) would be necessary too. Something with 2 channels...

I think you're looking at something like this...

DAW / Audio card / Sequencer ~ 2-3k
Audio card / AD<>DA ~ $700-$1600k depending...
Decent 2 channel strip (Langevin DVC is what I have) ~ $1600
Mic? You already have one? Shure Sm7b?

You need to think about audio treatment as well. That's the thing that made the most difference in my home studio. ReadyTraps sells some really good ****. I'm definitely not a pro engineer, but in my experience buying/selling/going through hella gear this is what I've found to work for me.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Since you already have a Dell, you don't need a new computer, and since you have a keyboard, you don't need a MIDI controller. All you really need is a way to get the audio and MIDI into your computer.
if you decide to make all your stuff in the box, you can pick up an old soundblaster card at any second hand computer store for about $5. you can spend another $10 on a joystick port to midi cable, and you're in business for sending midi data to your computer (at very low latency to boot). this might expand your options for nicer sound cards a little bit if midi isn't an issue.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

a good computer

Dont use a dell. Dell's are pieces of ****. They are built for soccer moms who want to look up cooking recipies on the internet and monitor what thier kids are doing on said internet. If you want a computer to track on, get a decernt mac (it doesn't have to be a brand new dual core) with at least 2 processors (usually 867's or faster), 2 gigs of ram, and a pro tools mbox 2. If you are more comfortable on pc's, I bult my PC from parts I ordered from Tigerdirect.com. Its way easier than you think an I built my PC for about $800 (and it will smoke anything you can get fom dell). Just make sure you get a pro tools setup. It will make tracking out a lot easier and sound the best for your buck. peace.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

here is my backup rig. imag g5 2.0.

digital performer or logic, rme ff800 (400 would work for you), whatever mic you want to use u87, tlm103, re20. krk v4 monitors. some headphones. an ilugger soft case for the imac.

it is a great setup for under $5k. when you go to a studio you can just take the whole rig if you want. or print your stems and bring a hard drive.

better than a laptop. simpler than a p.c.

currently i'm liking dp better than logic or pt. pt would be the easiest to learn, but your interface choices are limited.

check, i sent you a pm a while back about graphic artist referall. who does your art? i'm working on an album with this cat deuce eclipse across the bay.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twin View Post
Which is why I said, "No."

Meth is right: 2 GB and dual core, preferably over 2 GHz if you can afford it.

understood... i was just stating the minium to run some program... i know its better to have more RAM...i use to use Software programs...and always had a computer with 1 gig of RAM at least..

but i see ...
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

was this thread a ****ing joke?

checkmate?
are you joking?
if not first thing first half if not all of these posts are ********.

first decide what program you going to track into.
I got a gig of memory in my p4 DAW. and wish i had 2.

the new daw im building will be maxed in mem. and have a dual core chip in it.

obviously if your tracking, your gonna want the best sound in so: [a nicely built front-end.]

come-on man, i know your not serious. ????
lol
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

I use a very basic setup. I have Cubase but rarely sequence on it or really use it for that mater. I still sequence on my old trusty Atarti running Notator and trak it thorugh an O2R using adat light pipe card. I track everything into Sony Vegas 6.0. I also do my mixing in Vegas using the O2R for treating seperate stereo outputs.

For straight traking if you don't want to use a console just get a good A/D converter and track it to your editing software of choice. I like Vegas for home because its very inexpensive, does 48k/24bit, and is the easiest editing software to just jump into. its easy on the CPU too. I have run it on a 1.2ghz Gateway with 512 ram, and was able to do 96 tracks of audio with plugins galore running. It sounds great too. Cheapest and easiest way to get the job done (whith pro quality) IMO.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik View Post
all im tryin to do is track beats with a highest quality as possible or close at home. so i guess im lookin for a pre-production setup.. i usually track at the studios.

what do i need to purchase? please break it down cause im not realy a computer person.. all i got right now is a dell pc.. do i need install cards? how much memory? speed? etc? i need?

whats the best way to track beats? digitally or is it better to go through a console? how much we are talkin bout for a decent setup?

hows the quality on m-audio the protools cheaper version? what should i stay away from? and what should/shouldnt i get?
K,

if you only produce and mix in your PC, you should make sure it has a decent proc and lots of RAM. This is, because the plugins work in Realtime, and too many of them could "crash" your system.

A new Macintosh or PC would be your choice. If you already have a DELL well then boost it with additional RAM and maybe a new CPU and you're good to go.

When it comes to cards the variety is bigger then you think. To have an okay quality I'd also recommend M-Audio products.

If you like to have a better system which has a real damn good sound, try to get a recording card from RME, those are marvelous but damn expensive.

But it's worth to consider.

You can hook up converters (e.g. if you decide to get some gear for recording later on), you can hook up your Midi-Stuff. And you can mix with a lot of tracks inside your PC (no mixing console needed).

As for the SW, well I still use the Logic Platinum 5.5.1 for the PC and it serves me well. Maybe you can get it second hand for a small price, otherwise I'd go with Cubase. Those two are wide-spread amongst producers and you can get a lot of help and you are compatible with a lot of studios you might want to go to.

Well that should help for good quality pre prodution

C ya 'round
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

Virtually any pc can work beats and a multitrack, im running something ancient by todays standards but still have no problems working a 20track with live vst plug ins on my recordings. The right parts are crucial to running a stable system and delievering prestine results.

Points to definetly consider before spending the bucks is the soundcard (obviously). Stay away from **** like soundblaster, even their more "audiophille" models, get yourself something with balanced TRS jacks and a good preamp. Thesedays alot of higher end soundcards are connected to an external breakout box, make sure it has midi, the usual line/mics (more the better), phantom power (although this can be very noisy sometimes)

Gigabyte motherboards would be my recommendation, every one of their units are pretested in factory - they cook the suckers well above the average temperature they reach in their life that way you can rest assured they wont fry on you. 1-2GB ram would be nice, also budget for the largest hard drive you can afford, when dealing with tracks its best to work with uncompressed wavs, that eats space like no tomorrow.

Finally, if working on a pc, Cakewalk Sonar is very similar to protools and provides all you need to get on the way to recording/mastering...Good luck.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
i guess it really depend on if you want to go hardware
Windows XP Home
tutt

never!

never ever?

never ever ever!

XP PRO or nothing, XP Home is crappy........
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager2Know View Post
tutt

never!

never ever?

never ever ever!

XP PRO or nothing, XP Home is crappy........
how do u figure this?
im sure everything i've read told against that.
why do u need pro?
especially when you go into the SYSTEM itself and tweak it and shut off certain tasks to free up memory?
why would you need all the excessive junk that comes with pro?
doesn't make any sense.

i thought with daws you'd optimize them to be just for audio?
but what do i know?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search