The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
12 bit sampler with digital out?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

12 bit sampler with digital out?

I there such thing as a 12 bit sampler with a digital output?

I know of the akai s950 but the expantion with digital options for that only has digital in. But the s950 sound is the kind of sound I'm looking for.

Why I want a digital out is because I just want to use the AD converter and go straight digital out to my soundcard. I only want the sound of the converter so i don't want to send it out annalog and send it trew an other AD converter.

all suggestions are welcome or other tips that can help me do this.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

if you want the sound of the converters then thers´s no way around ...ehm... yes....converting. this also includes DA conversion. the chips, the filtering etc. all this influences the sound of a unit which you will loose when you bypass it.

steff
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen View Post
if you want the sound of the converters then thers´s no way around ...ehm... yes....converting. this also includes DA conversion. the chips, the filtering etc. all this influences the sound of a unit which you will loose when you bypass it.

steff
I don't want to get around them I just don't want an other ad converter like my apogee to touch the sound again when I go into my pc. The idea is that i want to sample in my pc trew the AD converters of a hardware 12 bit sampler in case I'm in need of that kind of sound. I don't want to use al the other options on the sampler it will just me in sample mode converting the incomming signal and feeding that digitaly to my DAW.

My second option is to go for an older 16bit sampler which has a good sound to it like the s1100 which does have a digital out.

Thanks for the help.
I asumed there would be some more replies in the hiphop section as the real raw hiphop sound has everything to do with the converters like the 950 has and the mpc60 you can't compare those to converters of any soundcard!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projuice View Post
I don't want to get around them I just don't want an other ad converter like my apogee to touch the sound again when I go into my pc. The idea is that i want to sample in my pc trew the AD converters of a hardware 12 bit sampler in case I'm in need of that kind of sound. I don't want to use al the other options on the sampler it will just me in sample mode converting the incomming signal and feeding that digitaly to my DAW.

My second option is to go for an older 16bit sampler which has a good sound to it like the s1100 which does have a digital out.

Thanks for the help.
I asumed there would be some more replies in the hiphop section as the real raw hiphop sound has everything to do with the converters like the 950 has and the mpc60 you can't compare those to converters of any soundcard!
what he's saying is that the D/A is just as important to "that" sound.
Old 15th January 2007
If you're on PC... there's supposed to be some 8 or 12 bit sampler VST emulation (mirage emulation) coming out... they *supposedly* modeled everything... D/A converters, noise, aliasing, etc... can't remember the name, sorry.

It probably won't sound as good as an 950/Emax/SP/ASR but it might be worth checking out...
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah i misunderstood at first so de DA that goes out is just as important for the sound. I will mis out on that when I send it out digitaly. Hhehehe I should have known that thanx for the tip.
I'll think I'll get myself a 900 series then.

Thanx for the help!

Yeloocproducer do you maybe have a name of that plug would be nice to look at.?
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah i misunderstood at first so de DA that goes out is just as important for the sound. I will mis out on that when I send it out digitaly. Hhehehe I should have known that thanx for the tip.
I'll think I'll get myself a 900 series then.

Thanx for the help!

Yeloocproducer do you maybe have a name of that plug would be nice to look at.?

check here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/102314-quot-vintage-quot-style-sampler-vst.html

steff thumbsup
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear
Sure, the DA and analog section after DA does contribute to the sound -- but so much much of the 950 vibe does come from the preamp and AD stage.

I don't know of any 12 bit samplers that can stream the input straight out digitally. The best option for getting gritty 12b bit samples into a computer without extra DA/ AD stages would be to get a k2000rs. It'll import s950 samples off a disk (or ensoniq eps) and then you can play it out the AES/EBU output. K2000s are mad inexpensive these days and do many more tricks than just this one so it's well worth considering, unless you are set on direct in to out conversion. Ie you have to sample on the akai save and then load in the k2000.

Another possibility is the roland s760 which has an spdif out option and can do bit reduction down to 12 bit from the 16 input -- but that's not gonna sound the same as a s950.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

talking about my s950 with digital out (in his case since last use 2 yeas ago, sigh), i had a digital out. just buyed, i tried to compare the digital out with analog ones. my personal result was that analog out was part of his akai sound, digital didnt sound as "thick" as analog. so i've push it in my fireface
these days im keeping a 2500 for a friend that is workin in another country and i noticed that it's te same: digital are nice but they loss the "AKAI PUNCH", on kick drums especially...
however i agree, just sample with it then record on daw and work on it. these are old, slow and a bit complex systems, but however are made by humans for humans
i would reccomend u a S series model, the push out a sound quite similar to 2000XL.

my 2 cents
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Get a mpc 60 like me.
Sample.
Save sound to floppy.
Place that floppy in your USB floppy.
Connect it to your daw.
Import the sound to your project.

Job done.

Btw, the drums i sample on my 60 sound NOTHING like the so called "emulators" out there.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd View Post
Get a mpc 60 like me.
Sample.
Save sound to floppy.
Place that floppy in your USB floppy.
Connect it to your daw.
Import the sound to your project.

Job done.

Btw, the drums i sample on my 60 sound NOTHING like the so called "emulators" out there.
MPC 60's can save WAVs / DAWs can load SNDs?
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear
Well...get the MPC Ren with this vintage mode
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

12 bit sampler with digital out?s-950 with extras and digital out/scsi just sold for.....
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

SMIDI
Slow butbit will do exactly what you want.
SampleWrench
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear
Ok I'm serious now (although this thread is from 2007) cause it might help someone.

1. Get an old floppy drive and install it in your PC. NO USB
2. Get the software/driver omniflop and install it on your PC
3. Get Awave Studio
4. Sample with the 950 and save it to a disk.
5. Put that disk in the PCs floppy drive, start omniflop and grab an diskimage with it.
6. Save this image in fileformat .AKAI
7. Open this image in Awave and save the sample as wav to your PC HD

peace
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Maniac

what's wrong with simply recording the s950 into your DAW???

it's simple, quick and effective.
I use my s900 strictly as a lo-fi soundmodule, everything is sampled with my pc then if I want some 12bit I sample my pc with the s900 then record it back into it, it takes seconds really.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Addict

I think you're overthinking it. All examples of that 12 bit sound all went from audio out and is part of the whole vibe, to go past that is a bit reductive. If you want that nice, rougher and degraded sound, its not like you're missing anything by not having digital out.

EDIT: Holy smokes this is an old thread! I feel like i'm talking to a ghost.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Addict

since you bumped it

nowadays there are some eurorack solutions to this

Rossum Electro (of EMU fame) has it's Assimil8tor which will do (continuous!) bit reduction- down to 1bit and down to drop sample behavior (selectable interpolation)
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Nut

way back in my DAT days I figured that you might use a DAT recorder (Tascam DA20) in 32khz/12bit mode as your AD and pick up that 12bit signal from the Tascams digital out... never tried it though, because I had sp1200 and s950s in my arsenal and always liked all the AD/DA they provided.. so I am not sure if that works

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search