The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do you guys stay working on one beat until it's finished?
Old 18th October 2015
I choose the key the tempo and 96% of the time start and finish the production before starting another. And when I say finish, I mean what I consider commercial or radio ready.
Old 18th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
I choose the key the tempo and 96% of the time start and finish the production before starting another. And when I say finish, I mean what I consider commercial or radio ready.
That's exactly what I've been struggling with. Getting it to a ready radio level seems like it takes so long! Especially with not much time to work each day.

How long doe it take you on average?
Old 27th October 2015
Here for the gear
I think that it's best to aim for finishing the beat the same day you started it. BUT, after watching a youtube video called "Hip Hop's big leaguers talk beatmaking and MASCHINE" where some of the TOP PRODUCERS talk about how they make their beats and tell some funnny stories (link at bottom of comment), I've realized that SOMETIMES THE BEST THING TO DO IS WALK AWAY. After not doing that for many beats that needed that, I realized that when you walk away, you are allowing your mind to become clear and you imagination to run wild. So, some tips that I've been given and that I have found to work as well are...
1) Listen to other beatmakers that make similar beats to the one you're making
2) Go outside...sounds weird? Yeah I know, but literally GO OUTSIDE (i.e. take a walk, listen to the cars passing, listen to the leaves rustle, listen to the construction workers nearby) because believe it or not, you can get inspiration from just about ANYTHING
3) Meditate, this is one SUPER HELPFUL way to clear your mind. If you don't know how, start by sitting down and every time you have a thought, just imagine that the thought is a cloud passing by...and LET THE CLOUD PASS BY
AFTER trying one of these methods, go back to the beat with a clear head and realize that there is no right or wrong way to make a beat...just go with whatever feels right!

Hope this helps, good luck with your new beats!
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfelbz View Post
I think that it's best to aim for finishing the beat the same day you started it. BUT, after watching a youtube video called "Hip Hop's big leaguers talk beatmaking and MASCHINE" where some of the TOP PRODUCERS talk about how they make their beats and tell some funnny stories (link at bottom of comment), I've realized that SOMETIMES THE BEST THING TO DO IS WALK AWAY. After not doing that for many beats that needed that, I realized that when you walk away, you are allowing your mind to become clear and you imagination to run wild. So, some tips that I've been given and that I have found to work as well are...
1) Listen to other beatmakers that make similar beats to the one you're making
2) Go outside...sounds weird? Yeah I know, but literally GO OUTSIDE (i.e. take a walk, listen to the cars passing, listen to the leaves rustle, listen to the construction workers nearby) because believe it or not, you can get inspiration from just about ANYTHING
3) Meditate, this is one SUPER HELPFUL way to clear your mind. If you don't know how, start by sitting down and every time you have a thought, just imagine that the thought is a cloud passing by...and LET THE CLOUD PASS BY
AFTER trying one of these methods, go back to the beat with a clear head and realize that there is no right or wrong way to make a beat...just go with whatever feels right!

Hope this helps, good luck with your new beats!
I do all the above, plus often just get pulled off of something because I have to do something else. Especially when going to the studio, which really is inspiring to get your own work done when you return or wake up the next day.

That said, for myself, it's a huge difference to take a break, from 15 minutes to hours, maybe a day or two, than letting things sit for weeks or months. I find if I don't finish my work in some sort of timely manner, they sit. If 20 beats sit, I may finish one very well, maybe another few because they are close but I don't really work further on them, just finish up what it needs. The rest either sit forever as is or just get finished to a really basic level to just get them off my plate, then sit forever on a hard drive haha.
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

For me i finish everything when I start it one at a time. If its not a flow going on it gets deleted. I don't believe I should have to try hard to finish. If I'm vibing I usually finish the arrangement pretty fast. Mixing and everything!! I try not to think too much. If it's not exciting and fun to me I don't think I can convince my writers that it's hot!!
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear
If it's worth it.

If I hear a vision for it... I work on it until it's done. That could be in one shot... that could be off and on... whatever, it depends what I feel.

The moment I don't hear the vision for it anymore... I stop working on it. That's not to say it can't be revisited at a later date. There's no formula to making a great song man. I could say all of this, and then tonight begin working on something for hours and not really have a vision for it. Then all of the sudden I have a breakthrough and end up loving it, even though I never really felt it had a purpose. I don't try to follow a guideline but... most times I end up working on things I have a vision for.
Old 29th October 2015
only if the song is AMAZING to me.
Old 29th October 2015
Lives for gear
by the way, to the OP, a "beat" is just an accent, one unit of time, one shot. maybe you meant "composition" or "rhythm" or "pattern". I know it's slang to talk about "makin' beats" so yeah I know what you meant. But it sounds a bit fischer-price toyland talking about "beats" instead of compositions. It would all of about 20 milliseconds to make a beat. Tap your pencil once on the desk. There; you just made a beat. Slap your knee once. There; you just made a beat. See how it sounds idiotic to someone with a musical background? It's like talking about digital photos in terms of pixels. Take a pixel.
Old 2nd November 2015
Here for the gear
Personally I can't operate one beat at a time , especially with my workflow being so fluid and quick in FL Studio. My mind works so fast and when I'm in the zone I like to get as much out of the moment as I can. I fully create the Full beat in terms of a giant pattern that contains all the contents and elements that the song will need then save it and I'm off to another one. I'm glad that I adopted this way of working too ... I've made hundreds of Beats that would top charts alone without lyrics back to back fresh off of making other beats. Technically speaking most of those beats wouldn't exist If I were to tie myself down to one project until it was finished. I essentially multiplied my productivity. You can always go back and finish the beat later. That moment when your feeling it doesn't just turn on , well for me it does , but sometimes I'm in a rare air and I don't want to waste it.
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Nut

I like coming back to them later but sometimes I forget about them. Last week I found one I did almost 16years ago. But it really doesn't matter to me I've never had any interest in working with anybody. It's a expensive hobby but music kept me out of trouble growing up in Chicago.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSuave View Post
I've made hundreds of Beats that would top charts alone without lyrics back to back fresh off of making other beats. Technically speaking most of those beats wouldn't exist If I were to tie myself down to one project until it was finished. I essentially multiplied my productivity. You can always go back and finish the beat later. That moment when your feeling it doesn't just turn on , well for me it does , but sometimes I'm in a rare air and I don't want to waste it.
This is why I stop... save... and put that new idea down.
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Addict

I finish a track before strarting another one. When I start I may have a few tries, but once one takes I run with it and finish it in a couple of days. By finish I mean multitrack into my computer from the MPC and synth and do a quick mix, save it, and start anothe beat.

Similar to what homie above was saying about FL Studio. In the MPC I'll create all the layers in a song, writing and muting the tracks as I go, until I run outta steam. Then I try differnet mute patterns and lay it out in song mode. Adding anything thats needed. Then listen for a while and tweak the arrangement, then separate all tracks and record 8 in the the computer, quick mix, done.

I used to try and get the perfect mix but it took to long and sapped all momentum. At one time I just wrote tracks saved i on the MPC and moved on to the next track. When I ran outta steam I would record them in one by one, and just recorded for a few weeks. Then went through and mixed em next downtime. That helped me speed up the process and removing or minimizing the parts you enjoy least is very beneficial.

If I have an idea in the middle of a track I'll usually sample it and save it as such. Then i can chop it later and use it in a different beat.

If you get stuck just mute stuff and lay other **** down on what you have that you like, might replace it might be a change up but keep laying it down, don't judge it let it become what its supposed to be thn when it's finished you can judge all you want.

I also have to say, the MPC is the only way to fly for me. 1000 with the JJ OS 2XL, had it about 9 years now (started with JJ OS 1) had a 60 before that. It just seems to move faster. I know some ableton cats that can fly on it chopping etc and get it sounding good fast, but most people I see go mpc to ableton it tends to slow down their process, albeit for better results in their view.
Old 9th November 2015
Here for the gear

Rarely finish a beat by working on it exclusively. I stop when my creativity slows down too much.... come back to it when I have new ideas for it. I need to be refreshed with contrast.. life experiences, emotions, etc. Only once I get that "special feeling" do I then work at one beat until it's finished. That special energy it has lets me know to go in for the kill and if thats 3 hours or 5 days it's what I will do.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

When I have created Beats, I have always worked on one at a time. I have had times when I have moved another beat, but the problem I found was I never went back and ended up with lots of incomplete beats.

Tip - Work on one at a time.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict

ill gates had a good video on his tips. He had a 21 hour window, that a beat had to reach some level of worthyness to be completed, or momentum, if after 21 hours it wasn't anything he'd strip it for parts and not look back. You can start a number of beats in 21 hours, but it depends on how much time you have I guess.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Depends...

I almost exclusively jump from track to track when working alone. Sometimes I'm in a drum pattern mood; sometimes in a bass line mood; keys; percussion... Or I'll work on one until I get stuck. It's rare that I have a complete vision upon powering up.

If I'm working with an artist, I'll work on just the one track.
Old 12th November 2015
Here for the gear

I usually start one and then find myself starting another one. Sometimes it'll take 2 hours, other times it'll take a few days to hear the right sound(s) to finish up.
Old 13th November 2015
Yeah, I do. I usually make a beat from start to finish in a few hours.
Old 8th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues man View Post
That's exactly what I've been struggling with. Getting it to a ready radio level seems like it takes so long! Especially with not much time to work each day.

How long doe it take you on average?
Depends on the depth of the production. When I say that I mean the total sum of all parts. Sometimes us as producers, we might layer 4 synths for one sound other times 1 synth is the sound we are looking for. On average it takes 2-3 hours to produce the music and have it ready to be recorded on.

Recording could take 5 minutes be done in one take, other times it maybe a few days before doing vox (maybe sick, your gave vox mic is getting repaired). On average vox if the artist is really feeling the vibe less than 30 minutes to do mains, fills, doubles, stacks, ad Libs the whole vox completed.

Now onto mixing: again this could be drawn out for a month printing different versions until everyone agrees this mix print is the magic one. Other times, after getting a rough balance and panning with levels it already feels (sounds) like a record. Feel because you want the record to move you. On average I would have to say 1-3 days to finish everything making it radio ready. That's mixing and mastering preparing files etc.

Hope that helps sorry it took me so long to respond.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm bumping this old thread I made 4 years ago because I still never stay working on one beat until it's finished. I finish more beats now than I did back then but I still work on several different songs at the same time.

It's been 4 years since this thread was made... so do any of you new guys stay working on one beat until it's finished or do you go back and forth working on several beats at the same time?
Old 4 weeks ago
got millions of beats lol i make as many as i can whenever i get free time, then come back weeks or months later, and finish them up usually back to back within a day or two. if i wanted to make a SONG i would try to finish it within the same day. i usually can too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I create lots of beats that I don’t turn into more complete song arrangements. I’ve learned to stop moving forward immediately if the beat doesn’t feel like my best work. If it doesn’t feel perfect, there may be some part in there that shouldn’t be scrapped and I feel is really good. In that case, I render out that one good part and save it as a loop or sample for a future project and scrap the rest.
Old 4 weeks ago
I’m not sure there’s a 1 size fits all answer here. I tend to think of the process of catching ideas. Sometimes things pan out and I get a song out it. Other times I have a new idea and I think back to another piece I’ve worked on but not finished and it fits. I’ve got a couple ideas that are 15-20 years old that amaze me how I was able to make something like that knowing as little as I did back then. I also like the time capsule nature of music I wrote. If I go back and revisit an old song it sometimes puts me back in that frame of mind or reminds me of what I was going through. I can go listen to my prolific periods and my uninspired periods. Music is my therapy so I hold on to it.
Old 2 weeks ago
It varies for me - depends on the circumstance. Sometimes I'll do one start to finish but other times start something and get stuck so move onto something else if I can't find the samples i'm looking for. Also sometimes I might finish all the main parts and send away for the MC to write to then I may start a new one while waiting to see how to arrange around the vocal.

I actually find it interesting loading up an old beat from years ago to see where I got stuck. I've done this a few times where I've removed a sample and found something else to fit and then finished the track from the new parts. Even taken something back to just the drums and added all new samples.
Old 2 weeks ago
The magic is not in the comfort zone. I usually stay on a beat for weeks until they are finished. If one does not make me happy, I will change it so much. like 180 degrees, until I think its finished.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I Get a song to the point where it's ready for lyrics. I get a collection of songs then start in on the lyrics, If I haven't already sketched down some ideas for a few of the songs.. Lyrics really define the final structure so, thats when it all gets hashed out. Then record vocals for that group of songs. Then add what ever tracking is left. Accents, guitar, bass other odd noises & things.
I think it's good to have some separation for lyrics, at times. Good to go at it fresh when you start penning that stuff. if the vocals don't complete the bare song, I usually have left a little wiggle room to add to the mix. I find it helpful to let inspiration have its room to jump in & play, when needed during the process. Don't get too stuck on an idea

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search