The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which MPC is the Best for analogue, warm sound?
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Which MPC is the Best for analogue, warm sound?

I want to add an MPC into my music production for the warm, colored sound. I've been using plugins to get that analogue sound but it's just not doing it for me.

I've been eyeing the MPC1000 (with JJOS, updated pads) as it seems it will be the best for my needs but wanted to get other opinions on this. Does the 2000 XL have a significantly higher analogue sound and maybe should I eye that one instead? I do want it to be user friendly, have longevity and somewhat easy to get sounds onto it.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Ask @ mpctutor and I'd recommend the MPC2KXL and please be sure to find one with a Flash Card reader pre-installed.
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Any red flags or things to look out for when buying an MPC2KXL off craigslist? (i.e. with MPC1000 updated pad wiggle test)
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

re

best sound is pretty subjective but to me the 60 has the most interesting sound, then followed by 3k, then by 4k, then maybe the 2kxl, and the others which are all pretty neutral sounding. of course they are all digital so none of them are going to sound analog. unless you are going for 12 bit I dont think buying an mpc for the sound is important or the best move. to me, you buy them for their timing and workflow. but if you get a 2k look at the screen, you want a good screen with no lines and just test everything when you look at it (look for dead pads, button issues, disk drive working?, etc).
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeBros View Post
best sound is pretty subjective but to me the 60 has the most interesting sound, then followed by 3k, then by 4k, then maybe the 2kxl, and the others which are all pretty neutral sounding. of course they are all digital so none of them are going to sound analog. unless you are going for 12 bit I dont think buying an mpc for the sound is important or the best move. to me, you buy them for their timing and workflow. but if you get a 2k look at the screen, you want a good screen with no lines and just test everything when you look at it (look for dead pads, button issues, disk drive working?, etc).
I would agree with this, well I don't really know the 4k sound, but the 2000xl has a "slightly" vintage sound. I also don't feel the 2000xl sounds different enough from a 1000 to justify how much more powerful the 1000 is. Not to say the 2000xl isn't powerful but it does lack critical features I like and I started with a 1000 so it's hard to loose features, it may not matter for you.

That said, I went another route to get the sound I wanted, I bought a Soundcraft mixer and recorded all my samples through that, using it's eq's. I still eq'd everything more surgically in final mix using plug ins but depending on the sound I wanted, I could have mixed on the console as well.

It's easier to suggest a sampler if you can describe what you want. For me, I like a lot of texture but still like clarity, maybe even a bit bright. Some like a full sound with some exaggerated mid range or low end. Some like the fact a certain sampler has the "knock" but cuts off some high end. Others want a really lofi sound. Many ways to accomplish this, be it sampler choice or using another tool.

At the end of the day, I personally feel you need to love using the equipment as well. So many people try to add a vintage sampler to their setup but love software and they just don't want to learn the machine, or they learn it and hate the limitations.

Lastly, people gravitate towards the MPC but their are plenty of other samplers as well. If I was just running a signal through a sampler, not using it as a sampler, I probably wouldn't pick an MPC and I may not choose Akai either.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Between the 1000 and 2000XL... 2000XL w/card reader update, and add some outboard processors/converters into your setup. The kind of outboard you track into will be the biggest factor in getting that strong type of analog flavor that I'm assuming you're looking for. Personally, that kind of setup was crucial for designing my own drum kits over the years. Plug-ins are fine when mixing a beat or song, but when I'm designing/layering sounds in prep for making a serious beat, I like the sort of flavour outboard processing provides me, especially when it comes to drums. Makes my job later on a whole lot easier.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

I remember when I had the 2k xl when it first came, how every one bashed it because it didnt have the "analog sound" of the 3k etc. lol!

Word of advice, dont fall for that, youre only going to get a significantly "warmer" sound in a drum machine if you go for something like an sp1200 or and mpc 60 imo. Use whatever software you use, put a filter/bitchrusher on the master bus and tweak till you gett he sound youre looking for. Again this is my personal opinion so do what you want, I have owned an mpc 3000, 2000xl and a 4000 at one time or another though. Good luck
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

But....theres something in them old akais that cant be replicated.Some special magic fairy dust!!!!!
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
But....theres something in them old akais that cant be replicated.Some special magic fairy dust!!!!!
aka crappy old converters.

love my S950 / X7000
Old 4th September 2015
SEED78
You could get a Akai ASQ10 sequencer (same seq as the MPC60) then midi any combo of sampler to it you like.

Mpc60 is most coloured (only a mono sampler btw), then the Mpc3000.

Mpc2000xl is dope sounding too, slightly thinner than the above, but has a certain 'punch' and 'thud' of its own.

will any be SO analogue sounding you feel happy? thats subjective. have you considered just getting a nice summing/compressor/EQ combo to mix down to?

I personally got a MPC3000 for its workflow - I warm it up further with a ton of hardware stuff I have, when i feel the need.

SP1200, well thats another story I still want one of those, just for the sake of!
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Ive owned most of them. I think the 5000 sounds good. It sounds full and somewhat compressed.

I think the 2000's sound the worst.

After owning them I chose the 4000.
Old 4th September 2015
SEED78
I'd take a 2000's sound over a 1000/2500. but its all highly subjective - you can get good music with all of them.

i just got a 4000 to live with my 3000, looking forward to taking them on a double date!
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I'd take a 2000's sound over a 1000/2500. but its all highly subjective - you can get good music with all of them.

i just got a 4000 to live with my 3000, looking forward to taking them on a double date!
You've been talking about the 4000 for a minute. Ahhh good times! Ask questions if you get stuck somewhere.
Old 5th September 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
You've been talking about the 4000 for a minute. Ahhh good times! Ask questions if you get stuck somewhere.

Tanks!
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
you should post some exampe songs/sounds to show how YOU define "warm analog sound". Those terms are used often but different people mean different things.

peace
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Addict
One thing to keep in mind is the newer MPC's while cleaner have resampling with eq, and effects that can make them as dirty, and warm as you'd like.
This goes for the 500, 1000, 2500, and I think also the 4000.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

I don't know how a digital sampler can be associated with "warm, analog" sound. While the older units DO have a character (I own one - played with a few others) when it comes to the sound, it has more to do with flawed digital to analog converters. The sound does have an appeal but it's definitely not the analog part of it that's responsible - at least not as much as you think.

If you want warm analog, that has more to do with what you track and/or mix with and, sometimes, to (tape, for example).
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

I'd recommend the MPC2000XL, a lot of people don't know is that this version of MPC can do the same sound job of the MPC60. A lot of people don't know that even people who have it don't know that. So you have the best of both worlds in your hands. the XL is at 16bit, but you can get it to 12 bit that's where the magic is! You can resample in side of the MPCXL. Also the XL has more features than the 60 and 3000. It also has time stretch :-) Umm yummy! plus you get to take your MPCXL from -0, to +4 and +12 db, that is beautiful

If I were you I would get that. I will get another one right now I am using the Akai LPD8 and this little thing rocks! The pads feel wonderful, better than the Nektar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricotkilla View Post
I want to add an MPC into my music production for the warm, colored sound. I've been using plugins to get that analogue sound but it's just not doing it for me.

I've been eyeing the MPC1000 (with JJOS, updated pads) as it seems it will be the best for my needs but wanted to get other opinions on this. Does the 2000 XL have a significantly higher analogue sound and maybe should I eye that one instead? I do want it to be user friendly, have longevity and somewhat easy to get sounds onto it.

Last edited by danoc; 6th September 2015 at 04:30 AM..
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
I don't know how a digital sampler can be associated with "warm, analog" sound. While the older units DO have a character (I own one - played with a few others) when it comes to the sound, it has more to do with flawed digital to analog converters. The sound does have an appeal but it's definitely not the analog part of it that's responsible - at least not as much as you think.

If you want warm analog, that has more to do with what you track and/or mix with and, sometimes, to (tape, for example).
Pretty much. That's why I mentioned outboard in my post. You'll get more warmth tracking through pieces that can actually be described as warm. Analog color isn't always something that you can directly correlate with analog warmth. So while some MPCs do have their own character to them, I wouldn't describe any of them as being warm, not even the MPC 60. I'm always tracking MPCs through something, preamps at least if nothing else. Nowadays, that's the only really good reason left for tracking sounds out of an MPC, to pass the audio through your favorite hardware pieces and get the sound 85-90% of the way there before you even start mixing.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yep That's why I use to love tracking my MPCXL out into the Yamaha O2R, that sound was priceeeeeeleeeeesssssss! And I had the 8 outs along with the 2 stereo and my sound would sound very lush, warm and big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Pretty much. That's why I mentioned outboard in my post. You'll get more warmth tracking through pieces that can actually be described as warm. Analog color isn't always something that you can directly correlate with analog warmth. So while some MPCs do have their own character to them, I wouldn't describe any of them as being warm, not even the MPC 60. I'm always tracking MPCs through something, preamps at least if nothing else. Nowadays, that's the only really good reason left for tracking sounds out of an MPC, to pass the audio through your favorite hardware pieces and get the sound 85-90% of the way there before you even start mixing.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yep That's why I use to love tracking my MPCXL out into the Yamaha O2R, that sound was priceeeeeeleeeeesssssss! And I had the 8 outs along with the 2 stereo and my sound would sound very lush, warm and big.

Quote:
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Anyone have info on what a realistic price for a 2000 xl with converted flash in good is? Seeing them between $700-1000, this price seem fair?
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone have info on what a realistic price for a 2000 xl with converted flash in good is? Seeing them between $700-1000, this price seem fair?
3-4 years ago, I would think $500-700, depending on options. However, prices may have changed. I converted my XL to CF for less than $15, not sure if it is still that easy to find those parts but it looked factory, etc.
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
3-4 years ago, I would think $500-700, depending on options. However, prices may have changed. I converted my XL to CF for less than $15, not sure if it is still that easy to find those parts but it looked factory, etc.
The typical selling price points haven't changed too much. In good working and cosmetic condition w/CR, $600-700 is a fair price IMO, possibly a bit more if the I/O has been expanded. With some obvious blemishes $450-600. Sub $500 if there are major flaws like lines in the screen, dents in the chassis, etc., or no card reader conversion.

Card reader wise, make sure it's a multi-card reader, that way you can use CF or SD (which tends to be more commonly used in devices today).
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The typical selling price points haven't changed too much. In good working and cosmetic condition w/CR, $600-700 is a fair price IMO, possibly a bit more if the I/O has been expanded. With some obvious blemishes $450-600. Sub $500 if there are major flaws like lines in the screen, dents in the chassis, etc., or no card reader conversion.

Card reader wise, make sure it's a multi-card reader, that way you can use CF or SD (which tends to be more commonly used in devices today).
What is CR?
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

The 2000xl's go for that much? Lol. I've seen too many messed up screens and broken buttons on those.
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is CR?
it's shorthand for card reader.
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
The 2000xl's go for that much? Lol. I've seen too many messed up screens and broken buttons on those.
People can and have been charging top dollar for units that are pretty much mint physically and superficially and have the card reader installed. They can get away with it Because there are so many more units floating around that are complete crap and in need of refurbishment.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoc View Post
I'd recommend the MPC2000XL, a lot of people don't know is that this version of MPC can do the same sound job of the MPC60. A lot of people don't know that even people who have it don't know that. So you have the best of both worlds in your hands. the XL is at 16bit, but you can get it to 12 bit that's where the magic is! You can resample in side of the MPCXL. Also the XL has more features than the 60 and 3000. It also has time stretch :-) Umm yummy! plus you get to take your MPCXL from -0, to +4 and +12 db, that is beautiful

If I were you I would get that. I will get another one right now I am using the Akai LPD8 and this little thing rocks! The pads feel wonderful, better than the Nektar.
the 12bit/8bit resampling is not a secret anymore. not at all.
and while it does not sound like sampling into an MPC60/3000, it does have something interesting to it.
but! the process of converting just takes waayyy too long.
10 minutes for converting 5 seconds to 12 bit just isn't worth it, to me at least.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search