The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need sp-404sx help!
Old 25th August 2015
Here for the gear

Need sp-404sx help!

Okay, so I just copped an SP-404sx and I'm having trouble getting sound from it with my Scarlett 2i4. I can use the RCA out cables from my Numark TTUSB turntable and put them into the RCA line in of the SP-404sx and i get sound out of it but the sound seems blown out. So i got an extra pair of RCA cables and plugged them into the Line in of the 404 and into the Scarletts RCA input and i cant get sound.. Any help on what I'm doing wrong or what i need to get this to work?
Old 25th August 2015
Gear Head

Mixer in between turntable and 404?
Old 25th August 2015
Here for the gear

i was sure i could use an audio interface instead of a mixer
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Head
read there have been issues with the scarlett inputs, might want to check against another interface if possible.
also do out of 404 to in of interface not in to in...
when sampling into the 404 is when you will use its inputs
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

It looks to me that the RCA jacks on the Scarlett are outputs. Have you tried any of the other inputs on the Scarlett?
Old 26th August 2015
Here for the gear

Thought that might be the problem lol. Theres only 4 RCA outs and 2 1/4" inputs which i use for my speakers. Looks like i need an interface with more 1/4" or input RCAs right?
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielemery View Post
Thought that might be the problem lol. Theres only 4 RCA outs and 2 1/4" inputs which i use for my speakers. Looks like i need an interface with more 1/4" or input RCAs right?
That would be 2 1/4" outputs for your monitors.
The only inputs (two of them) are on the front, so if you are using both for something other than the 404 you will need more I/O. If you are using only one then you could run the 404 in mono for now.
Old 26th August 2015
Here for the gear

so basically would need RCA to XLR cables then. Because thats the only two inputs on the front end.. Sorry lol all this is still kind of new to me and never ran into problems like this before with other gear
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
so basically would need RCA to XLR cables then. Because thats the only two inputs on the front end.. Sorry lol all this is still kind of new to me and never ran into problems like this before with other gear
They are combo jacks so you can use either RCA to XLR or RCA to 1/4". They are balanced TRS jacks and the RCA' s are unbalanced, but you should be fine with the RCA to 1/4" TS, worst case is you may experience hum/noise.
Old 27th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changoe View Post
They are combo jacks so you can use either RCA to XLR or RCA to 1/4". They are balanced TRS jacks and the RCA' s are unbalanced, but you should be fine with the RCA to 1/4" TS, worst case is you may experience hum/noise.
Okay well both of my 1/4" inputs are being used on my scarlett 2i4. If use the RCA to XLR would i need to take up both of the XLR inputs for phono? Or does dual RCA to single XLR make phono? I would post a picture of my audio interface but its not working on mobile. Again sorry for all the noob questions lol.
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Head
here is how i route my sp505
scarlet outs to speakers
505 outs to scarlet input (i use an rca to 1/4 inch adapter)
turntable to mixer to 505 inputs
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay well both of my 1/4" inputs are being used on my scarlett 2i4. If use the RCA to XLR would i need to take up both of the XLR inputs for phono? Or does dual RCA to single XLR make phono? I would post a picture of my audio interface but its not working on mobile. Again sorry for all the noob questions lol.
The Scarlett 2i4 has 4 total 1/4" jacks: 2 on the back that are outputs and 2 on the front that are inputs. The jacks on the front do not look like standard 1/4" jacks because they are combination jacks. This means they will accept either an XLR OR a 1/4" (refer to pg. 14 of the user guide, number 1, "Inputs 1 & 2"). If you have an RCA to XLR already, buy all means use it, but you can use an RCA to 1/4" as well. I would not use a dual cable to combine outputs to a single input (the other way round would be ok (ie. single output to two inputs)), besides you really don't gain anything as your signal will be recorded as mono either way.
Old 27th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changoe View Post
The Scarlett 2i4 has 4 total 1/4" jacks: 2 on the back that are outputs and 2 on the front that are inputs. The jacks on the front do not look like standard 1/4" jacks because they are combination jacks. This means they will accept either an XLR OR a 1/4" (refer to pg. 14 of the user guide, number 1, "Inputs 1 & 2"). If you have an RCA to XLR already, buy all means use it, but you can use an RCA to 1/4" as well. I would not use a dual cable to combine outputs to a single input (the other way round would be ok (ie. single output to two inputs)), besides you really don't gain anything as your signal will be recorded as mono either way.
Lol literally did not know they were 1/4" as well. So basically need a dual rca to single 1/4" correct?
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol literally did not know they were 1/4" as well. So basically need a dual rca to single 1/4" correct?
A single RCA to 1/4" will be fine, as I said, it will be mono no matter what.
Old 29th August 2015
Here for the gear

Alright so i got the RCA to 1/4" cables and the sound is worse lol. Only can hear bits and pieces of sound. Idk if its my AI or the cheap cables i copped from radio shack.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Are you using a single RCA to 1/4"? If your are using a dual RCA to 1/4" you may be getting distortion/ clipping at the input. Just go left out of 404 to either input on your 2i4. From there you will need to use proper gain staging: turn input gain to zero, turn output of 404 to a good solid level but not too loud, and then gradually turn up input gain until you are at a good level (-18-12dBFS).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search