The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
COMPLETE MY STUDIO PLEASE! Urgent! Rode K2, Fostex PM2, FMR RNP?, EMU 1212M?..
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Head

COMPLETE MY STUDIO PLEASE! Urgent! Rode K2, Fostex PM2, FMR RNP?, EMU 1212M?..

Im planning to spend 5 grands for a vocal studio for major/radio recordings. all im looking after is the best (Retail CD) sound quality for vocals which i can send in for mastering at the label. dont really need anything else.

therefore the MIXER route is useless to me.. so im following the PREAMP route (Mic-Preamp-Audio interface-Monitors) to get the best sound quality for vocals.

I got the PD Dual core computer package, rode nt1000, yamaha powered mixer, Mackie PA speakers system (both just for show rehearsals), vocal booth.. all i need now is a 1st choice mic-preamp-audio interface-monitors. 2.5 grands remaining to get these 3.

MIC: RODE K2 - $800
wanted a tube for warmth- tested it against various others, stood out, suits my voice, read from scratch- ppl who use the K2: TALIB KWELI, MARY J BLIGUE, THE GAME, HI-TEK.. so its def industry standard.

PREAMP- ?? (FMR RNP/GRACE 101/TRUE SYSTEMS P SOLO?)

AUDIO INTERFACE- ?? (EMU 1212M?)

MONITORS- FOSTEX PM 2 ($900)
tested these, the midrange is def better than the KRK RP series, and the V series are out of my budget range..

so I have approx 1 GRAND remaining to spend on the AUDIO INTERFACE and PREAMP. could you guys suggest me what would be the best for me considering my situation? i was going for the FMR RNP and the EMU 1212M but some dudes told me the EMU 1212M is entry level and wont take the best out of my Rode K2! let me know homies.
Old 23rd December 2006
Lives for gear

The K2 is not used by them... and is not an idustry standard. People on the board have recorded some of those artist and I know that a K2 is never the first choice.. or 10th!
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Head

i read on this months skratch magazine with cool n dre/khalid/rick ross on the cover that kweli, j bligue use the NTK with the MBOX and are upgrading to a K2..i read on the blackwall street forums that game uses the k2 with the great river for the mixtape recordings at skee's..

i dont know anythin more tho.. anyways what do u recommend me man?
Old 23rd December 2006
Lives for gear

funny... i like the NTK more than the K2. My pick at your price point would be an AT4060. You can find them for about $700 used... beats the k2 to death. clean, warm, it has a great touch on most any vox. Soundelux U195 can be bought for about $700 as well. just a bit more for a new one. That one is great as well. Finally if you can save for a Gefell M930... now that's a serious mic that can compete with the best. Again... at the price... you may want to check out the Summit 2ba-221 pre or a UA solo 610 or 110. Good luck
Old 23rd December 2006
it'd get a compressor too... and a decent pop screen like a steadman or whatever...
Old 23rd December 2006
Lives for gear

not saying anything bad, that mic is fine for mixtapes but not full releases. That mic will work in your budget though and is nice for what you have. Get a nice pre/compressor. Look at an all in one box to save money.

I suggest the Avalon 737 for $1400 ebay or the UA la610 for around $1200 ebay.

I would use pro tools, get an mbox

Monitors? Event ASP 6's for you or 8's if you can!

5 grand total????

Avalon budget $1500, Shure KSM 44 $600, Digi 002R $700, Apogee 200 (old one) $600, Event ASP 8's $1000... thats $4,400.
Get mic cables and other cables pop filters etc.... and your at $5,000!
Old 23rd December 2006

[QUOTE=Kompakt]i read on this months skratch magazine with cool n dre/khalid/rick ross on the cover that kweli, j bligue use the NTK with the MBOX and are upgrading to a K2..i read on the blackwall street forums that game uses the k2 with the great river for the mixtape recordings at skee's../QUOTE]

Who cares what they say in the magazine... it's far from an industry standard.

If you have a budget of $3k, you could get a really good vocal chain.

Peluso 251 > BAE 1272 > DBX 160X > MBox
Old 23rd December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Who cares what they say in the magazine... it's far from an industry standard.

If you have a budget of $3k, you could get a really good vocal chain.

Peluso 251 > BAE 1272 > DBX 160X > MBox

So Tony,
Do you think with that chain will work just fine, without adding some external converters going into the Mbox?
Old 24th December 2006
Lives for gear

that chain will work but you said 5K. Tony would agree with me as I agree with him. Get a Peluso 22 251 or I suggest the P12. The pre is a different world, there are so many options! He listed a cheap compressor (but good). I still stick with my suggestions....

but drop the apogee and get a better mic!
Old 24th December 2006
Lives for gear

Just because that nasty rodes works with those guys voice, doesnt mean it will work with yours.......go for the peluso!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kompakt View Post
i read on this months skratch magazine with cool n dre/khalid/rick ross on the cover that kweli, j bligue use the NTK with the MBOX and are upgrading to a K2..i read on the blackwall street forums that game uses the k2 with the great river for the mixtape recordings at skee's..

i dont know anythin more tho.. anyways what do u recommend me man?
Old 24th December 2006
Gear Head

thanks guys.. damn studio equipment selection is real hard.. everyone has a different opinion! and i dont really have any experience with those mics so i think i gotta trust some opinions and reviews since all they offer for testing in australia are the rodes and neumans in the pro range!

i was just wondering, why the MBOX? I agree that the pro tools LE software, plugins etc are in a completely different world and gives you the pro sound but with protools there is no expandibility.. you can get better standalone preamps and convertors..
i can get a Avalon 737 or the True Systems P Solo preamp and the RME Fireface 800 (an excellent interface) and record, mix on cubase, audition (programs ive used for years and know it inside out) rather than go for protools?

what do you think??

thanks a lot for everything once again, im learning a lot from here!
Old 28th December 2006
Gear Addict

If your comfortable with cubase then just ignore the advice about getting Pro Tools.

How about:

SM7 > Pacifica > DBX > RME 400

You're doing rap right? This is a good chain right here.

It'll cost you just under: $350 + $2,000 + $400 + 1000 = $3,750.
If you're interested in a real serious setup... this just might be the way to go for you (I don't know if you want the RME 400 or 800).

If the Pacifica is too much for a pre... then maybe go for the Great River ME-1NV ($1,000 for 1 channel).
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
not saying anything bad, that mic is fine for mixtapes but not full releases. That mic will work in your budget though and is nice for what you have. Get a nice pre/compressor. Look at an all in one box to save money.

I suggest the Avalon 737 for $1400 ebay or the UA la610 for around $1200 ebay.

I would use pro tools, get an mbox

Monitors? Event ASP 6's for you or 8's if you can!

5 grand total????

Avalon budget $1500, Shure KSM 44 $600, Digi 002R $700, Apogee 200 (old one) $600, Event ASP 8's $1000... thats $4,400.
Get mic cables and other cables pop filters etc.... and your at $5,000!
Why will that mic not work for full releases?? If it sounds good on a particular vocalist why not use it? Is it b/c it is not an attractive, exotic boutique mic? I don't understand the concept b/c if something sounds good on a source who cares. Thats just my take but i don't consider myself the best engineer with the best ear so "i could be wrong" but i do know if the general public thinks something sounds good then its good regardless of what engineer thinks differently about it b/c music is made for the ppl....and to be honest, i don't think most ppl who are not in the recording biz care what equipment was used as long as it sounds good to them and they like the music...just my humble opinion...
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

i agree with getting cubase. i used to own a rodes classic mic and it was awsome. they, (rodes),haven't made a mic even close to that one that i have heard. the solo 610 is definitely a great buy. i wouldn't get the k2!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search