The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware/Plugin Strength and Weaknesses for home studio Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hardware/Plugin Strength and Weaknesses for home studio

Hello Vance! Cheers for taking the time to do this, very cool. I'm a fan of a lot of your work, but will get right on with the question...

I wrote and produced mainly electronic music for a while, but in the last couple years I got bit by the recording more live stuff bug (is that a bug?) and have been getting more serious about recording, mixing and creating a solid and polished final product. More singer/songwriter stuff, me and other folks...

I use plugins, UAD as well, and have been doing the hybrid thing. I "feel" like my stuff sound's better when I use more hardware, and am comfortable knowing this could be a placebo effect.

To you, someone who uses a lot of great hardware and plugins, but also has the skill to understand them and use them properly (or improperly at times) where do you think strengths and weaknesses lie? Hardware has always been great, is great, but plugins are getting better. Have you found a specific niche your comfortable using plugins to substitute for hardware? Is the difference so small that recall-ability and convenience shadow sonic nirvana?

Cheers.
Old 3 days ago
special guest

Analog processing is better to get your hands dirty with.. turning knobs, correctly or more fun, incorrectly. But there are things that are hard to pull off Out Of The Box.
I am a fan of recording the way I want it, and then refining while mixing.. that stuff is usually in the box with plugins.. So a healthy mix of both?

Hmm. most music is in some way analog, in at least it needs to be analog for you to hear it come out the speaker.. so lets get it right in the real world before burrow into a virtual one..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search