The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording with Big Drums
Old 28th October 2009
Gear interested

Recording with Big Drums

Man I been waiting for somthing like this, such a hugh fan of Tommy, Scott, Chris and all the old ChopShop recordings. I have a few questions for Tommy or Scott or Chris.

1.) Me and my bro are way into recording big drums (26,28,and up kicks), we mostly create samples of em in our basement and use them. Are there any tips on micing and processing big drums for sampling?

2.) Are Tommys samples from Never A Dull Moment the same Samples on Rob Zombies Sinister Urge, me and my bro just know they are. And what type of reverb did you use on the snare on those two albums, its such a dirty sweet reverb.

3.) Scott, On Rob Zombies Educated Horses how did you record the Bass, Guitar, and Vocals. Everything sounds so open, raw and old school on that album.

4.) Scott and Chris, what are your fave signal chains for Vocals, Bass, Drums, and Guitar, anything special you do.

Thanks,
Hope to hear back.
Trevin
Old 28th October 2009
Gear interested

Thanks for the questions Trev.

I'll answer your 4th question, which in turn will probably answer your 3rd as well. Favorite signal chains... obviously depends on the kind of sound we're going for, but as a starting point at both The Chop Shop and The Atrium, this is kind of how things end up:

vocal: U47 -> Manley Vox Box
guitars: 57, 421, PR30 -> Neve 1073 or Vintech X73
Bass: Avalon U5 (DI), RE20 or 421 or AT4047 (amp)
Drums -
kick - fet47, AT4047, RE20, 421 -> Neve -> Mercury EQP
snare - 57, PR20, AE3000 -> Neve -> Transient Designer
toms - AE3000, 421 -> Neve
OH - Earthworks, B&K -> Universal Audio 610
Rooms - any large diaphragm condensor (87's, 414's, 4050's) -> 1176
Ambient - Coles 4038, AT4047, u47 -> Mercury 66

This is a similar setup for the Educated Horses album.

C.
Old 29th October 2009
Gear interested

Cool, alot of my research on the chopshop and atrium was really close. I've looked up alot of the stuff from that studio, the eq or mix magazine article from 2002 about recording tommys drums for Never a Dull Moment has been a kinda basis for how we go about recording drums.
Thanks,
T
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search