The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass drum size & micing
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear nut

Bass drum size & micing

Hello Tommy and thanks for your time. Live you play very large bass drums with your kit. When in the studio what size do you prefer? Any certain micing tips you can give or do you let the engineer handle all that? Dr Feelgood was an album I used for drum referencing for a long time. Great big drum sounds on that one.
Thanks
Mark
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

And on those new tracks from 'The Public Record" how much of the sound is samples vs. mics?

They sound great, but I'm curious how you got there.
Old 25th October 2009
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
And on those new tracks from 'The Public Record" how much of the sound is samples vs. mics?

They sound great, but I'm curious how you got there.
There's no samples as of now!....those drums you hear are live drums recorded @ Atrium my home studio!!

Tommy
Old 25th October 2009
Gear interested

Tommy,

Do you need an intern/assistant at Atrium? If so, where can I send my resume?

thanks,

tom
Old 25th October 2009
Gear Head

Your too late I already asked him I was hoping he would say yes as a matter of fact we do, but no luck yet.
Old 25th October 2009
Gear interested

Old 28th October 2009
Gear interested

We've used some pretty large kick drums in the past... 26, 28 even a 30 on Tommy's last solo album. We've been using a lot of 24's lately in the studio. I think the majority of the tracks we've been recording on lately have been a Custom 23" DW with a resonator on the front for sum extra umph. The idea behind the 23 is that it sounds like a 24 but plays like a 22... it really fills up the room nicely. A big part of the sound we've been using lately is compressed room mics in the drum room at Tommy's studio. The room is pretty reflective, so it sounds a lot bigger than it actually is... we take full advantage of that with agressively processed room mics. I love EQ and Compression!!! Yyyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyy!

C.
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear nut

Thanks Chris. I think I saw a pic of that kit your talking about in the studio with the BD extension somewhere on here. Just out of curiosity what BD heads are you using on the 23? That's not a size your going to run down and get at Guitar Center
Old 5th November 2009
Gear interested

I believe it's a coated Ambassador.

C.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search