The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slipperman how about shaping of the bass guitar
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear interested

Slipperman how about shaping of the bass guitar

I'd love to hear your thoughts on getting the most out of the bass guitar, pre and post.
Old 4th March 2003
member no 666

Never forget that basses have 4 strings and say "Fender" on the headstock... Jazz or Precision being about the only options worth exploring... and the really good ones have flat wound strings on them.

Very often they can be rather cool sounding when plugged into another unit with glowy things and a speaker or 8 that says "Ampeg" on it.
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Head

The best luck I've had in recording my own bass tracks is basically 2 mic's and a DI input for 3 tracks.. One mic close to the grille, one mic 2 - 3 feet back, and the DI input get's just a touch of distortion to give a little extra "growl" to the overall sound. Experimenting with mic placement , mic types, and placement of the cab in the room helps if you take the time to capture the tone. And most important of all, as many have said in the past, is capture the tone you want going in so you have very little to do other than some tweaking to get the bass to sit in the mix. Otherwise you'll have GIGO(Garbage In Garbage Out)

Just my .02 cents worth.

Oh yeah, I mainly use an old Bassman 100 head with a variety of cabs.

The DI is an old AudioTechnica 8512 model.

Basses used are typically a 5 string Jazz, 4 string Pbass or my trusty old Rick 4003s (Yes I'm a freak for the Chris Squire Rick sound)...
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Never forget that basses have 4 strings and say "Fender" on the headstock... Jazz or Precision being about the only options worth exploring... and the really good ones have flat wound strings on them.

Very often they can be rather cool sounding when plugged into another unit with glowy things and a speaker or 8 that says "Ampeg" on it.
You should check out a Gould...
Old 4th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:

A chain like that is pretty hard to **** up. But, it has been done.
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Isn't it GREAT when old rock dawgs speak?!! Fletcher, You're singin to the choir!...Where did I read on here(orsomewhere) that the 8 'o' 10 with the 100lb. gorilla sittin on top wasnt a 'good' thing?? "specially wit da 65 p-bass featuring the 'Voice Of Gawd' pick-up on it....sheeesshh...there aint nuttin else juniors.
BTW..the Voice Of Gawd pick-up can only be found on elderly fender basses...they can wind till they're blue in the face but...YMWV...
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Fletcher, I'm hearin ya, but sometimes they say "Stingray" too!
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I dig the G&L ASAT's as well. Between that and my Fender Jazz I can cover just about anything.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear nut

In deference to fletcher, I'll agree on the p-bass thing...mine is from about '68 or so...but the flatwound strings are REALLY for the flat-earthers.

I think the real key though is to play as if you mean it. Play hard enough to scrape some calluses off. Some guys play by barely gesturing at their strings, with the amp up to 19...but I think the best tone comes from a player who's spankin' some decent voltage out.

zowd
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

Remember everyone, Basses have 4 strings, Banjos 5 and guitars 6...

A close friend of mine has Stingray #003. it sounds friggin amazing.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Remember everyone, Basses have 4 strings, Banjos 5 and guitars 6...
Reminds me of the joke my bass player tells:
What's a 5-string bass good for?

Kindling for a 6-string bass fire!
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Head

Recording of bass Guitar My pennies worth!

I have done the odd bit of producing in the distant past and my method was Fender naturally into VOX AC30 Mic'd with Sure SM57 and EQ'd heaverly to get the fatness with the clicky pleque or finger top end that isn't slap bass but has that rythmic property.
Whilst on Guitars I never liked DIing because the amp and cabinet give the total sound as per live sets and if you want good distortion do what I did and that is put the speaker on the roof(If city high rise building) or country side put it out in the garden and give the muso a small practise amp so he can hear himself but you can drive the out side speaker flatout place the mic still with 57close and on axis to the voice coil then there is a bit of magnetic coupling the the moving coil dynamic mic.
Because it on the roof or garden it has a much drier quality without the room noise bounce back etc.
Drums. Try puting a false cealing about 7 ft high from the ground over the kit and tape a boundry mic hard agaist the cealing the you get a crisp snare without the reverberant bounce back. It does not matter that the mic is some 4 ft above.
Tim de P
Old 7th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: Recording of bass Guitar My pennies worth!

Quote:
Originally posted by TimdeParavicini

Drums. Try puting a false cealing about 7 ft high from the ground over the kit and tape a boundry mic hard agaist the cealing the you get a crisp snare without the reverberant bounce back. It does not matter that the mic is some 4 ft above.
Tim de P
You know, this could be an interesting approach - figure out a way to suspend some plywood over the kit at any angle, and see what happens. I have seen some nashville studios where the overheds were boundary mikes attached to the ceiling.
Old 7th March 2003
I am crazy about the boundary effect on drum kits.... room mic's facing concrete walls is a favorite..
Old 7th March 2003
Gear interested

Doesn't anybody here like Rickenbacker basses? When well played, they sound better to me than any P-bass, unless there's some guy named Jamerson playing it.
Old 8th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by da5idfox
Doesn't anybody here like Rickenbacker basses? When well played, they sound better to me than any P-bass, unless there's some guy named Jamerson playing it.
I like them fine when I need a Rickenbacker bass sound. But I never need that sound...
Old 8th March 2003
Gear addict

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't say better than a P-Bass, just different.

It's really nice for certain classic rock stuff, but borderline unusable for a lot of other styles. I wouldn't mind having one as bass #6 or 7, but it's kind of a one trick pony.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

In my old studio we loved the boundary effect on drums and went so far as to have several different boards with different finishes we could hang . My personal faves were the plexiglass ceiling(thats what we called it) and the 1/2" plywood faced with cedar tongue and groove..we also had two 'dead' ceilings and they sounded great for,say, an intimate jazz club kinda session...we had two crown pzm's that we could stick on and since it hung by big chains, we could tilt it any direction we wanted and mic the 'spill' area...very cool.....also TIM!...yes YES! the outside large amp experience.....At the old place it was out in the country and we would put a stack out on the porch and close mic it with a 57 and a sennhieser 409...just like a rock concert...we'd take a feed from a di back to the control rom and run it through this little tiny old ampeg we had that ran at about 10 watts and all tube....it was a great sound...thanx for reminding me of that as i'm back out i the country again....also,I owned a 4001 rick that sounded great for country music...it wasnt the 65 p-bass but it was really full and had much better low-end than one might expect. you just wouldnt be caught dead playin it some of the country dives....
Old 9th March 2003
One with big hooves

Re: Re: Recording of bass Guitar My pennies worth!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
You know, this could be an interesting approach - figure out a way to suspend some plywood over the kit at any angle, and see what happens. I have seen some nashville studios where the overheds were boundary mikes attached to the ceiling.
Sounds like you need Tommy Lee's old flying drum kit.

Strangely enough, I like playing Music Man basses but I usually have a hard time making them fit into a track. The low-mid growl is great but the click on top always ****s with me. I haven't met a Rick that I don't like. People always say they sound thin but the one's I've come across are all bottom. Go figure.
Old 9th March 2003
Music man into a SansAmp bass peddle - very good!

But I find I have to roll off a lot off deep bass on the instuments own tone controls.
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't anybody here like Rickenbacker basses?
I had a 4003 for a while and liked it quite a bit for some stuff... I find a decent "P-bass" much more versatile though.
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Head

I love my Rick 4003s. Slap a new set of superwounds on it and get that lovely ringing piano string tone that sustains like no tomorrow.
Old 10th March 2003
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by midihell
I love my Rick 4003s. Slap a new set of superwounds on it and get that lovely ringing piano string tone that sustains like no tomorrow.
Couldn't agree more. I guess if your bass player is slapping, you might want to use a P or Jazz or Musicman, but Ric 4003s & 4001s do everything I need. People seem to have this idea that Rics always have to sound like Chris Squire on Roundabout, but I find them quite flexible. Not a "one-trick pony" at all.
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've played a P-Bass through an SVT for over 25 years, and It's still my first choice for live gigs. For most of my recording though, I've been using my Ric 4003. I find it's easier for me to get good note definition without as much low end rumble, esp on the low low E string. I usually cut a fair amount of top end just to keep it out of the guitar frequencies, but there's no problem getting bottom and fullness with Ric's - once you spend a little time with them.

Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Way too fancy, those Precisions and Jazzes. Tele bass is where you want to look.<G>

Actually a Rickenabacker is teh right answer some of the time, and there's something special about a Kubicki X-Factor.

Quote:

Or these odd little things where the head flips into the speaker cabinet, and teh Ampeg logo glows when it's on.
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by midihell
Oh the horror!

It's actually possible to get some really nice tones out of a Ric. Especially if you avoid new round wounds like the plague they are.
Old 12th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by covert
Way too fancy, those Precisions and Jazzes. Tele bass is where you want to look.<G>

Remember that a 50's P bass has the same body style as a Telecaster bass. It looks as though Fender is re-issuing them; not only is the Sting re-issue available, but I saw a non-signature 50's P at Sam Ash the other day, and even a paisley painted one.

I think, though, that when Paisley came out, it was only on Telecaster guitars and basses, and it was a lot more detailed paisely than the current one. but then it peeled off, sometimes before the instrument even left the store...
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

just a note on p-bass history....55 p's had the 'new'(current) headstock and a slab body with the single bar p-up....56 had the contoured body w/same headstock and p-up....57 was the original (current) p-bass. we've got a 56 in the collection..Had a 62 till the pickup went microphonic and the truss-rod went to hell..still have a 65...stock..59 thru 67 or 68 were the most consistant and best sounding IMHO...oh yeah...owned a 62 jazz...stolen....68 jazz....73 jazz...68 and 69 tele w/the big humbucker...split the coils, added a jazz p/u by the bridge and wired it in stereo...stolen...both of em...saw one on 'in concert' one year...no doubt it was mine...no one puts a strat switch on em...don't know if any of you older bass guys ever split the jazz p/u's into a stereo out , but it sounds incredible when done like that....i had one p/u goin to the old svt and the other to a furman pre with a dc-300a and a couple of cabs....sweet...ahhhmemories
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

If you like a Tele style bass - check out the G&L ASAT, it looks cool and sounds great.
Old 12th March 2003
Gear nut

I worked with Jack Ricardson some years back{bob segar{ nite moves]The Guess who{wheatfield soul}I had brought in a Brand new Guild pilot bass ,great bass I thought .In ten minutes Jack shut down the session and insisted on 4 Different Jazz bass's!Needless to say I now own a 62/73 and 80's jazz bass.I love the sound of Music mans but most producers ive worked with over the years prefer working with the Fender jazz ,why because it slots well with the kick drum in the eq section. Jack Richardson
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search