The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I rocked CNN!
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

I rocked CNN!

Yesterday every half hour I was on CNN rocking in the St Pat's parade in between all the pre-war coverage. Yeah it's no big deal but: Saddam and BinLaden were prolly watching with their intel agents. I'm gonna get so busted for playing infidel rock on a float in the pouring rain.
Old 18th March 2003
Gear interested

So you got your generator issue worked out, I presume.

So. How'd it go? What gear d'ja use?

Tell us a parade story, Uncle Fibes!
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hmmm..... (picturing Bin Laden in his cave tapping his foot and nodding his head to the beat of your music).
Old 19th March 2003
One with big hooves

Didn't we already see that in an Eminim (whatever, M&M) video?
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

Playing loud rock music in a parade is a blast!

Putting together the float, generator, PA, and balancing devices was also a blast. The horrible rain made things a bit hairy at times but the power of rock kept us warm and cozy.

I want to thank everyone that chipped in some priceless knowledge ie. the leaning posts (ala Miss America), the proper generator, watching the low end...

We did use a few low watt tube amps without a hitch and due to some heavy duty water proofing and condoms for all vocal mics no one had to trip the GFI.

Enough words, how about a pic?
Attached Thumbnails
I rocked CNN!-fibes-parade.jpg  
Old 19th March 2003
Gear maniac

Cool

Fibes:

Cool!!

You the guy with the shades, and purple/blue shoulder strap, I presume?
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

it's a damn big strap too!

....and another.
Attached Thumbnails
I rocked CNN!-shparade.jpg  
Old 19th March 2003
Were you honorary Leprechauns for the day?

How many 'hat changes' did you go through?

I am jealous!

I've never done the float thing..

Rock on!

CNN?

Try to get global figures for the show at the time of broadcast! Could be 50 Million + !!!!

Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah it was a total rush playing for 250,000 people but only for about 45 seconds each. We won the Chairman's trophy and 2 grand. Not bad for a soaking.

The CNN spot was shown at least 12 times during the day and evening. 50 mil huh? Wow i gues it was a big deal. I've had about 100 people email and call me over the last two days about it.

Y'all are welcome to drink like fish here next year!
Old 19th March 2003
Gear maniac

Cool

Fibes:

And I thought that purple thing was just one of my "Party Tyme" Condoms that landed down there after those 2 Chicks and I finished filling it with Helium, and sending it out the window in honor of "Saint Patrick's Day"!!

(All the Green ones where already sold out....rollz)

You get the broadcast on tape?

Can you post an AVI of it MPEG of it, somewhere? heh

Utmost Congrats, to you and your band, in any case!! heh
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

He is one of the most incredible front men i've ever witnessed. He should be a total rock star but the world wouldn't know what hit them.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Didn't we already see that in an Eminim (whatever, M&M) video?
I'm not sure about that - I don't have cable, or MTV, and I wouldn't watch an Eminem video even if I did.
Old 20th March 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
He is one of the most incredible front men i've ever witnessed. He should be a total rock star but the world wouldn't know what hit them.
thats the ****ing truth. its really a ****ing shame.
Old 20th March 2003
One with big hooves

Nice. What the hell is that blue thing though? For some reason I've got an image of Ferris Beulers Day Off in my head.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ferris' day off on 11... It was a float for an art store, there were 3 10 foot high paint tubes in the truck with this red, blue and yellow "balloon things" coming out of them. They floated above all of our heads like a rainbow until it started to pour. Very disconcerting. i'll try to get some better pics that put the whole thing in perspective.

I'm sick as a dog now, but it was damn fun.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Fibes - did any of your equipment get damaged by the rain?
Old 21st March 2003
One with big hooves

At least the giant mushrooms are kinda cool. I think the worst outdoor gig I've ever done was my high school's 25 year anniversary. IIRC it was a Saturday afternoon in May and it was probably about 95 or so and we were baking on a stage in the back parking lot and they had the brillant idea of painting it black. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I remember sweating so much that when we were done I took my shirt off and rung it out like a towel plus my sunglasses kept sliding off my face while I was playing. I'm not sure what's worse, pouring rain and cold or searing heat.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah i can relate to the heat jay... The sun also wreaks havoc on tranformers, LED visibility and leather pants.

None of the gear was ruined thanks to my past experience in the live arena... Condoms, plastic bags, visqueen, duct/gaffers tape and the balls/stupidity to actually do it. the guitars got a bit wet but they dried slowly and are still in shape.
Old 22nd March 2003
Gear Head

Congrats, Fibes.

Post more pics!

And get well.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm waiting to get some more pics... I just located a videotape and hope to get it in MPeg form soon, but with a baby due any day now...
Old 24th March 2003
Gear nut

Fibes, let us know when that baby comes. Tyr to get some pictures of that too. I would've posted pics of my new son, but I don't know how. He's almost six weeks old now. I can almost sleep through the night. . .hurray!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I rocked CNN!-haydeb-cherub.jpg  
Old 26th March 2003
Gear interested

awwwwww

now THATS a cute baby pic......congratulations
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah the whole composition of that photo belw me away when he sent it to me. Baby pics---
Attached Thumbnails
I rocked CNN!-today-s-youth-1.jpg  
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search