The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"I am a fanatic for session documentation"
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Head

"I am a fanatic for session documentation"

In another thread, Slipperman comments:

Quote:
I am a fanatic for session documentation ...
I would like to be a fanatic about this, but I find that time and time again I start out with the best intentions, writing everything down, but the session soon takes on a life of its own, things are changed and I am busy doing the changing and there's no one else to make note of what's going on. I've tried to sit down and think it out, come up with some sort of format to follow to make sure I record all the correct details, but I must admit to total failure in follow-through.

So, what are some different styles of documentation? How brief or how detailed do you get? Do you use a form and if so, what kind of stuff is on it?
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm doing more stuff in a DAW where the documentation is internal to some degree. But I usually have a project notebook or binder that carries track lists, tracking notes, lyric sheets and other stuff in it.

I wish more notes i get would just say "unmixable material" on it.
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Guru

I have track sheets that say "instrument," " sound description," and "signal path." That's about all I document. I'm working with small time folks and I don't have a true assistant. I do have an intern right now, and I may make him take more notes, but I doubt it.heh
Old 15th March 2003
member no 666

Yeah... things change as you move along... but at the end of the day, they're probably fairly well set... so make a practice of documenting your various signal paths, settings, etc. at the end of the day or at the acceptance of a "take" and you should be fine.
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
I wish more notes i get would just say "unmixable material" on it.
Orange juice just shot through my nose.... that's funny. (+painful)

It could also say "they'll think it was your fault".

-dave
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

NARAS published their delivery recommendations, including a "Recording Map" form. Have a look at it: http://www.grammy.com/recommendations.pdf

I've become geeked up on taking digital photos of my outboard gear settings, with a visible index card or post-it in the pic that has the client, song, and date on it. I store those pics in their appropriate PT session folders and/or print them out and attach them to any other session documentation I might send-out.

-dave
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
I've become geeked up on taking digital photos of my outboard gear settings
I think this is a great idea .... I don't have a digital camera (yet!) but I have taken to snapping regular 35mm of, in particular, the drum set up. I was also thinking I'm gonna start using the "stickies" on my Mac in conjunction with the various documentation aspects of PT to slap a stickie on the screen with any extra details, then take a screen shot and keep that in the session folder.

Thankfully, my current "client" is really good at making his own notes, so together we are getting all the details. But normally, I am on my own so it has to be fast and easy.

Thanks for the NARAS link, I'll check it out.

p.s. just found out one of my songs (my band, my mix) is going to be played on a nationally syndicated radio show .... "hoo hum" I'm sure for most of you, but pretty exciting for this small time hobby mixer!
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mixervixen

p.s. just found out one of my songs (my band, my mix) is going to be played on a nationally syndicated radio show .... "hoo hum" I'm sure for most of you, but pretty exciting for this small time hobby mixer!
hey congrats, do we get to know what band/artist and what show?
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
NARAS published their delivery recommendations, including a "Recording Map" form. Have a look at it: http://www.grammy.com/recommendations.pdf

I've become geeked up on taking digital photos of my outboard gear settings, with a visible index card or post-it in the pic that has the client, song, and date on it. I store those pics in their appropriate PT session folders and/or print them out and attach them to any other session documentation I might send-out.

-dave
Dave, Thanks for the link and the digital photo idea! It helps!

Moko
Old 18th March 2003
One with big hooves

My usual SOP is a track sheet with the format and related notes to that, instruments, client & band name, start and end time of the each song. Unless I really need to I do the same thing as Drumsound. If there's a pretty good chance that I'll need to recreate a vocal path for a later session I'll write down the preamp compressor settings on the back of the track sheet. I hardly ever do mix recall notes. But, when I do take them I usually grab a 58 and a DAT tape and read them off in real-time. When I recall that mix I put the DAT in and hit play and listen to whatever I said.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've also used a video camera so i could speak the notes and although the linear aspect of video tape can suck it at least lays down as the session progresses.

PFFFT 57 on boogie distressor on... api at... I'm going drinking now...
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search