The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverb: Does It Suck?
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Reverb: Does It Suck?

I believe it does, and I'm deleting it from ALL of my mixes.

FOREVER!

Why does reverb suck? Let us count the ways...
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Oh no, you've finally gone off the deep end!

If you're talking about digital verb, I can meet you half way. More and more, I find myself doing things to degrade the reverb signal. I don't have access to those $ 2000+ reverbs, so might as well have it sound "intentionally" degraded.

But, the masses love reverb man. People went crazy with that **** when it first came out, putting spring reverbs in their car stereo's and whatnot.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

It all depends on what you're going for. I tend to not like stuff to be swimming in reverb, but it depends on the style of music. Some ambient stuff just wouldn't sound quite the same without the verb. The 80's are back in a big way now, so watch out - reverb will be showing up again in mixes.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

I don't give a damn what is in vogue! I'm using more verb all the time (KSP 8 and spring usually) and I'm looking into building one of those plate reverbs into the studio. I'm so far behind the times I'll be ahead some day...
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm really digging this Tapco spring reverb a friend gave me awhile back.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Head

Old 13th March 2003
One with big hooves

I dunno, usually I'm allergic to reverb if I can hear it. I like to feel it more. Right now I'm mixing a project with a chamber preset on an MPX-1 as my main 'verb. The output of that is patched into the line in of a PV VMP-2 with about 8dB cut at 10khz and the output of that is going to an SPL Vitalizer Jack with the 'width' control around 1 o'clock to spread it out and push out the sides. I've got almost everything feeding that reverb. Guitars, vocals, snare, OH's, and a little bit of the toms. It's enough to miss it when it's muted but we aren't really hearing it.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Guru

I'm with Jay. About 95% of the time I hate to hear the reverb. I like dry mixes a lot.
Old 13th March 2003

Typical trend related question...

I used to hate large pants bfore too ...

today it is dry, tomorow will be wet

that was you weather report from malicenewz.com

malice
Old 13th March 2003
Its music style related.

I love reverb.

I am looking into buying a Quantec Yardstick as I type.

Reverb rules!!
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I dunno, usually I'm allergic to reverb if I can hear it. I like to feel it more. Right now I'm mixing a project with a chamber preset on an MPX-1 as my main 'verb. The output of that is patched into the line in of a PV VMP-2 with about 8dB cut at 10khz and the output of that is going to an SPL Vitalizer Jack with the 'width' control around 1 o'clock to spread it out and push out the sides. I've got almost everything feeding that reverb. Guitars, vocals, snare, OH's, and a little bit of the toms. It's enough to miss it when it's muted but we aren't really hearing it.
I think it's best to embrace it as a subtle enhancer AND as an obvious effect. It takes both kinds. It's not good for you or anyone else to get in a linear thought pattern.tutt
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Head

If I can hear "reverb" there's too much.

If I can hear "enhanced instrument" as opposed to "dry instrument" then it's good.

There's too much reverb when you really notice it.

Now, lush reverb used as a pad is a different story. At that point, reverb starts to become sustain, a different beast altogether.

But what the hell do I know?
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

If it comes to reverb: room mics are everything.
I try to use the room as a reverb unit. For drums I tend to nuke the room mics. This way I get the niciest "reverb" I could wish.

But for vocals it's all about a 480l - I love it, but just a tiny bit.

Jo
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Reverb: Does It Suck?

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
I believe it does, and I'm deleting it from ALL of my mixes.

FOREVER!

Why does reverb suck? Let us count the ways...
Eric

Too much D-Verb in a diet can cause headaches, dizziness and loss of appetite...heh
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

trends... they go round and round
Old 13th March 2003
Gear maniac

I look at it like this...

When mixing, I look at reverb like I'm building a space. Depending on what I'm going for, or the type of sound the band is looking for, an area is built to house the sound!

I tend to make the mix sound like you're in the front row instead of the back of the room.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear maniac

Oh, how I hate reverb.

Here's a few of my many, many reasons why;

1. When you compress a mic'd instrument during the mixing stage, you are also compressing (and thus making more audible) the natural ambience of the room. If you then put reverb on that instrument, you will have two different ambiences fighting each other.

2. Reverb 'in the wild' is what you hear when you are further away from the sound source. So it's a great way to make your mix sound smaller and further away.

3. Full frequency reverb = mud. I hear so many amateur recordings with full freq reverb and they just give me a headache. Band-pass those reverbs pleeeeeeaaaaaasseeee!
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Most of the verb I use are "Room", "studio", and "Ambience"... The occasional 'Tiled Room" thrown in, but it naturally just kinda progressed that way. It wasn't a conscious thing.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cram
Full frequency reverb = mud.
I use hp & lpf to make a big frown face on my reverb aux - seems to make it blend in better.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

I like to use the AirFx in front of a reverb - in one of it's band pass programs. Just move your hand around to find a frequency range that sounds nice and lock it. Sort of lo-fi's the sound in the process too...

I think Curve struck a nerve on this one!
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ta heck wit all of yoouze!

I like reverb. It is a tool, a color. If overused or abused, it can suck big weenie.

When used musically, it is beautiful. It can create a space where all the musicians are playing together. It can transport the listener to another space.

Use, don't abuse!
Old 13th March 2003
Mindreader

I try and make the reverb from the first snare drum in a song to tail off at about the penultimate bar of the track.
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

While we're on the subject - have any of you tried building a plate verb based on the Tape Op article? Do any of you have one of the original EMT's? I'm addicted to the plates in the KSP and it's made me think I'd like to try a real one...
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I always thought that guys that go around talking about how they hate using reverb don't know how to work it. It's about time, energy, nature and musicality, and KNOWLEGE of these things, not about presets on the F***ing Lexicon. Of coarse you hate the sound of it.

IMNSHO, The 80's big reverb sound will come back, especially in rock music, so any of you dried out, closet sounding guys better learn how to tweek 'em.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood about this thread. The creation and manipulation of space is one of the great magical aspects of what we do as modern sound professionals, and I hate to see creative people pussy out of it so they can sound like all the other bland, un-inspiring mixes out there.

The man behind the curtain is gone. The majestic expanse and power of popular music long gone. Replaced by a little taste of this and just a sprinkle of that, and "don't want to put so much in that you can actually hear it". Pussy mixing. If you can't hear it, it's an excercise in futility. grudge
C'mon guys, fire it in there, don't be afraid!

I think I'm going to go muddy up an entire mix horribly with a 9 second long reverb to make myself feel better
Old 13th March 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
IMNSHO, The 80's big reverb sound will come back, especially in rock music
If that is the case, just shoot me now.heh
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Killahurts,
I think you're right. I have always hated that about the "indie" mentality, especially. Here is a whole sect of the music industry, free to do whatever they want pretty much, yet there are so many restrictions in order to be considered real/not a sellout.

You reverb haters need to all go out and buy Paul McCartney's RAM.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
I try and make the reverb from the first snare drum in a song to tail off at about the penultimate bar of the track.
Niiiiiiice!!!!! heh
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

I'm working with dryer snares but shifting the verb onto other incidental percussion like a finger cymbal... Haven't used that 'Bridge over troubled water' snare in a few years...

What's Steve Lillywhite up to these days anyways???
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
I'm working with dryer snares but shifting the verb onto other incidental percussion like a finger cymbal... Haven't used that 'Bridge over troubled water' snare in a few years...

What's Steve Lillywhite up to these days anyways???
I wish he was doing another XTC album!
Old 13th March 2003
Gear addict

Amen! With Hugh Padgham of course!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search