The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pultec and the EAR EQ's
Old 10th March 2003
Gear interested

Pultec and the EAR EQ's

Hi Tim,

I know your EQ designs are based on Pulse Technologies, can you give any detailes on how they are similar and how they are different. What did you "improve" on in your design and how you feel your EQ's fit in todays modern mastering chain? I know a few collegues who use your EQ's (and love them) and I use the older Pultecs myself (EQP1A3's with the API op-amps, I like the low end slightly better then the tube ones). I've owned most of the mastering EQ's out there and always fall back on the old passive design with the make-up gain, still sounds the best to my old ears.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
Saratoga Springs, NY
www.silvertonemastering.com/stone/
=============================
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Head

EQ's and Pultecs

My EQs use the same basic pasive networks but I then designed my own 3 tube balanced circuit that saves me an input transformer and I wanted atleast 28 dB output or 25 volts 20 to 20K. The bass is -1 dB at 5Hz and output is +20dB at 10Hz. Better than any of the op-amp solutions period. I have always been a bass fanatic. and want to here the size of the building, and know that the human body detects audio below 20Hz to 3 Hz by bone and chest cavity.
Here's a thought. Why do most PA and disco speakers resonate at about 60 Hz and most bass tracks peak between 60 and 90Hz. Because it makes women feel sexier dancing due to the fact that their organs resonate at about 60Hz.
Tim de P
Old 10th March 2003
Gear interested

Thanks Tim,

I started in this business as a bass and Chapman Stick player (which goes down to low C), so I know the affect it can have on women. Half the reason I started playing those low end monsters in the first place (and still do).

It's also the same reason they love to ride Harleys!

Thanks for the info on your EQ's, I'd love to try them in house some time. Preferably when I can afford to buy them. I hate to fall in love with the sound of something and then have to give it back. Of course I could always sell the Pultecs.

best regards,

Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
Saratoga Springs, NY
www.silvertonemastering.com/stone/
==============================
Old 11th March 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fancy Pans
Thanks Tim,

I started in this business as a bass and Chapman Stick player (which goes down to low C), so I know the affect it can have on women. Half the reason I started playing those low end monsters in the first place (and still do).

best regards,

Larry DeVivo
What a small world! As a fellow Stick player, I've got to dispute your claim. I've distinctly noticed a decided lack of females squirming and rutting at the front of the stage when I play my 10 string indian rosewood Stick...the more common reaction by the women is "...*chortle* so is that, like, some sort of compensation for your, er..."

zowd
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Head

10 string rosewood? Bass.

I sorry I don't have an answer to that. In the end women are complex beings Nuff said.
Tim de P
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: EQ's and Pultecs

Quote:
Originally posted by TimdeParavicini
My EQs use the same basic pasive networks but I then designed my own 3 tube balanced circuit that saves me an input transformer and I wanted atleast 28 dB output or 25 volts 20 to 20K.
Tim de P
Does this mean that you put the gain before the passive networks instead of after like in the original? The input is a buffer with gain.
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Head

EQs and gain

I have the amplification as post gain on gain make up if you like. Its just that the passive network floats.The gain is about 22 dB.
Care in the design allows for in excess of 80dB sn and the balanced input has only fair but adequate common mode rejection ratio.
Tim de P
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

So your active input stage replaces the input transformer and the makeup gain is done by another amplifier before the output transformer. Right?
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Head

EQ's and things

I don't think you fully understood what I said in the 2 previous postings. The input XLR pins 2 and 3 go to the PASSIVE network which as a total of pots, switches and components is a 3 terminal device 1 input and 1 out and common. this floats to go to the plus and minus input of the differential tube amplifier which is part of the 3 tube complete post amplifier.
Pin 1 is only a chassis ground. The common mode is about 30 dB which is sufficient for just about every case I've encountered on balanced or unbalance systems.
All my stuff these days is Pin 2 + no phase reversals.
As an aside when XLR's were invented by cannon around 1953 the American audio industry took pin 3 as + but when Studer and Neumann adopted it around '59 they thought it was like a DIN plug and got it wrong, also like mains connectors they got the sex wrong. I always remembered it as 'from a Jack to a Jill'
Then the Japanese copied the Neumann/Studer way untill it became the majority and the Americans had to cave in and recognise the defacto standard. A pity that it was not better published in the 50's.
Tim de P
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

I certainly didn't understand what you were saying. I don't think I've ever seen a passive input without a transformer. Are there any coupling caps or is it completely naked?
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Head

The Passive devices such as the pots and switches plus the caps inductors and resistors make up a tone shaping circuit that is only three terminals. because it is directly connected to the pins 2 and 3 of the XLR it does not need further anything. but because the circuit in acheiving its tone shapeing has a loss of 22dB its outpuut connects to a differential circuit( another word for a balnaced input) that is part of the 3 tubes that are differential connected (push/pull) and that the anodes of the final 2 halves of the ECC82 connect to the output transformer.
Owners of the EAR822Q have a circuit diagram in the manual.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search