The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slackers need not apply.
Old 6th March 2003
Harmless Wacko

Old 6th March 2003
Gear nut

procratination

yes indeed by using the word procrastionation
you procrastinate

instead of sloth you use 5 sylables
Old 6th March 2003
I chip away at mixing.

I dont like it.

I stretch the procedure over many days.

I hop from one tune to another gradually building up mixes usually across 3 tunes. Working with a DAW makes this very easy.

I take ear breaks, I goof off, I eat lunch, watch TV, drink coffee, I mix a little more.

This works for me,

SO! Slipperman, I snatch that crown of yours, jam it on my head and run down the street with it, but~! I put off tying my shoelaces properly earlier in the day so I trip, fall flat on my face and the crown falls off only to be picked up by.................
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

The group I work for have a tendency to change things.. alot. often times waiting a day on things that are not "mission critical" can save a ton of wasted work.
Old 6th March 2003
Sometimes getting back to folks later rather than sooner, help you formulate what to say to them better.

Early responce examples:

a) Your demo sucks
b) I will charge you a cheap rate for the job
c) no I DONT know where you stupid back up / master tape is, I have had too much coffee and the overdub I am on is going badly, f**K off or call back in a year and I might look for it if I am in the F**KING mood.

Late responce examples:

a) Your demo has great potential for another producer
b) On reflection, I have decided to put my rates up, starting with you
c) We found your back up!
Old 6th March 2003
One with big hooves

I'm not that great with the business side of things. Filing the paperwork, expense reports... invoicing always ends up scribbled on a piece of paper and get's done once or twice a month. I almost never blow off the AE stuff. Oh, fixing things. Channel 9 on the console is still kinda busted. I need to fix the insert jacks and I keep blowing it off and patching around that channel.
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

i can be the king of procrastination... but a LOT of times, if i had done it early... i wouldnt of not taken the route that i thought of much later after putting it off which always is the best route to take.

although im referring to specific creative type things and not mundane tasks such as paperwork and so forth. that just sucks to do.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i can be the king of procrastination... but a LOT of times, if i had done it early... i wouldnt of not taken the route that i thought of much later after putting it off which always is the best route to take.

although im referring to specific creative type things and not mundane tasks such as paperwork and so forth. that just sucks to do.
So, what your saying is that you're not actually procrastinating -- you're just letting your brain assess and process the situation before doing anything about it??...

I gotta use that one

Cheers,
john
Old 6th March 2003
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Late responce examples:

c) We found your back up!
We Found your backup.. Man I feel you on that one. After I took over from the former Eng. at the current studio I work in they had NO system for keeping track of the 1000 plus library of CDR based backups for old alsihad sessions.

It was a horror show!

The staff ate some crow on that one.

kakaroto
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
So, what your saying is that you're not actually procrastinating -- you're just letting your brain assess and process the situation before doing anything about it??...
i always let my brain assess and process the situation, well not unless im opening my big mouth... its got a mind of its own.

you could say my brain is marinating on it. sometimes lasts for years.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear nut

situations often have a way of resolving themselves, given time...

...but alas...dishes never wash themselves, given time.

zowd

(the prognositicating procrastinator)
Old 6th March 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Can anything POSITIVE come out of procrastination?
YES!!!

I have kitchen gnomes. Yes, actual kitchen gnomes.

You place a soiled dish (or glass, or gouping) in the area of my kitchen. You come back in 5 min., it's still there. You come back in an hour, it's still there. You come back several hours later (or overnight), and BINGO!!! Gone.

Of couse in my studio, it's the opposite.

The bands come in. It sounds good. They come in & out of the room, it's sounding better. They go home and come back....
...WOW! What did you do!!!
Old 6th March 2003
Gear interested

meant to reply yesterday, maybe I will tomorrow
Old 6th March 2003
Gear maniac

Make lists, you'll look like you are actually doing something.

You also end up with good documentation.yuktyy
Old 6th March 2003
Gear interested

Slipperman, I recently found out why I do the exact same thing.

It has to do with the type of personally creative people usually have. I took a stupid personality test, which I am normally repulsed by, and I was somewhat amazed at how it had me pretty well pegged. Whether or not the test is a crock of dog poop I don't know but I learned a few things.

Number one was that I enjoy doing something the most when I am NOT supposed to be doing it. If I should be fixing the car I will be playing guitar, if I am supposed to be writing a song I am playing on the computer, etc. If it is what I should be doing I am not nearly as interested in it.

Whenever I plan a weekend or a day to record stuff I am never in the mood when the day comes, but up till that day its all I can think about.

It's most likely just your personality and you can't fight it you just have to learn the best way to make it work for you.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear interested

Procrasinating is the only way I ever get things done. I need a fire under my ass and a deadline.

It's just my personality.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I snatch that crown of yours, jam it on my head and run down the street with it, but~! I put off tying my shoelaces properly earlier in the day so I trip, fall flat on my face and the crown falls off only to be picked up by.................
i'd rather snatch a crown than crown a . . . . a . . . .aaaaa

Old 6th March 2003
I wonder if there is a private studio owner asskicking / mentoring program you can sign up for?

www.where-are-the-f**king-mixes.com

Perhaps an automated phone call service with pre recorded messages of actors wheezing desperately "we started this 4 months ago, I think it's reasonable to expect to finish it SOMETIME this century!"

Audio forums anonymous? With the "12 outboard program"?

Old 6th March 2003
Gear interested

Funny thing is it drove my wife nuts. Then I took that test at her request. Now she doesn't say a word about it anymore.

I never thought it would work out that way!

I guess she never understood that I just can't help it. It's what I have to do!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

I agree, Fabricoh (sp???) is absolutely right on. He must be, because I agree with him completely.

Can procrastination pay off? I think so. I remember a Howard Hughes story about his legendary indecisiveness. He was a great procrastinator, creative, and a full-blown whack job. He had an offer to sell one of his companies and kept stalling. The more he stalled, the higher the price went. By the time he sold the company, he made $10,000 more than the original offer.

I think. Or maybe it was Ross Perot. And maybe he was buying the company, I'm really not sure, but I'll look it up and flesh it out some more later. You know. When I get some time. And a few other things straightened out in my life.

Jasper
Old 7th March 2003
member no 666

We have a new term around the office multi-slacking!!

This is when you have a game of 'solitare' going, are having an 'instant messaging' thing going with a friend about your plans for the evening and are talking to someone on the phone about a non work related event...
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

I spent a good part of Wednesday trying to find the recall notes for Thursday's remix. No luck. I got up Thursday with this great weight hanging over my head, knowing I was going to have to start from scratch rather than just make the requested changes. After dropping my daughter at school, I had the morning free to get started, but I decided to stop by my wife's school cause I knew they were having problems with their sound and lights. After a few hours of flipping breakers, re-arranging the lighting circuits, and re-setting mic levels, I still had a couple free hours left when I got back.
The old Benz was running a little hot though, it's had a radiator leak for over a year. I decided to finally go ahead and flush it out, then try a copper sealer on it. Just got it re-filled when it was time to go pick up from school. Put the kids to bed when we got back and realized the band was gonna be here in three hours. Where does the time go?
I ended up making a completely different mix in about 2 hours, trashing most of the ideas from the first go around, and having an hour to spare to eat before heading back for another 7 hour stretch with the band. They were psyched on it and didn't care that it bore no resemblance to the original. I guess that's why they call it a remix...
As for procrastination, I prefer to call it "alternative task management." Well I gotta go, my wife wants me to pick up a load of wood fencing at the Home Despot, so it seems like a good time to finally replace those old caps in my master section...
Old 7th March 2003
"We have a new term around the office multi-slacking!!

This is when you have a game of 'solitare' going, are having an 'instant messaging' thing going with a friend about your plans for the evening and are talking to someone on the phone about a non work related event...

heh heh heh

Old 7th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
[B]
As for procrastination, I prefer to call it "alternative task management." B]
I like that. Consider it stolen. I gotta get back to mixing myself, if I have time I'll check in before my gig tonight.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Head

Well, Fabricoh35, you just took 95% of the guilt out of my life (hey, I still am a music dude with a wife and kids - I've got some guilt to deal with!).

Mmmm, Tucson. Much hipper music scene then up here in Phoenix, but much harder to make any money at it. Not as many old retired folks with disposable income.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Hey subspace. Funny post. I know the feeling.

Is that your desk in the avatar?

If so. Sweet!

Whoo-Hoo!

I Love Tucson. Especially this time of year.

Out there quite a bit. My girl lives there.

You can find me down at Anthony's Cigars on E. Grant puffing a Phillipe De Gregorio every 3 months or so. We can't get them much in NYC area.

Best to ya.

I NEVER PROCRASTINATE WHEN IT COMES TO CIGARS.

SM.
Coincidence - my girl lives here too. That's a stock GS avatar, mine's a punter's desk, a Trimix system, but if you need to move it in a hatchback, there ya go.
It's no good. The Nichicons haven't arrived yet and she's got a truck lined up for 7AM. I'm screwed, just hafta pray for rain. The bands will appreciate the privacy during breaks though, as they enjoy another of Tucson's fine smoking imports...

...from the sunny corner of 6th and Drachman.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

If not for procrastination, I wouldn't have time to have any hobbies.
Old 9th March 2003
Gear addict

It never fails. Just when you when you start thinking you're the best at something, someone comes along to burst your bubble. Up until reading this thread I truly believed that I had no peer when it comes to procrastinating. Clearly I am mistaken. I can procrastinate taking a piss until my back teeth are floating. Once again I find myself in great company. Hey, you don't want to rush into anything.
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Slackers need not apply.

This is the sound of me procrastinating.

Right here, right now.

Thank you.

-R
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search