The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snares- metal or wood, thick or thin?
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

Snares- metal or wood, thick or thin?

What are your fave snares? I am partial to an old metal ludwig, and an old wood slingerland, both of "medium" thickness.

The one thing I'm not really hip to are those thick wood snares that are in vogue. WTF?
Old 5th March 2003
Gear nut

i love my chrome '67 ludwig

i have both sizes

i tend to like the smaller one but they both have the crack that satisifes.
had a brass slingerland....just didn't do the trick

wood snare drums are a whole nuther world

Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by studiojimi

i tend to like the smaller one but they both have the crack that satisifes.

Ah, I wish I could come up with a good joke for that line.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear interested

my fav snare is an Ayotte wood hoop 5.5 x 14

it has an amazing sound, is easy to tune and it stays in tune.

great rim shotz
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Guru

I've got about seven or eight snares. Three are metal and rarely see the light of day. The most used is a Bison 5x14 maple with a die cast rim on the top. I scammed the rim form a Pearl brass piccolo that I only bought because if was $75 with a case.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear maniac

I bought our drummer a Yamaha wood snare for live use and absolutely love it, even near naked...(no EQ/Comp). Seems to have more body than the available DW Custom we were going to buy with the kit.

Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

That's just what I think. SOme of those more expensive snares sound more like marching snares than anything that should be in a kit.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I like to have a variety... I've got An old Slingerland, a metal noname, a custom built deep pink sparkle wood snare named "big gay Al" and the fiberglass Fibes (no relation) that matches our kit. That sucker rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Snares- metal or wood, thick or thin?-kevinsfibesj.jpg  
Old 5th March 2003
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
... The amount of times I've ended up using the 'cheapies' over the 'money' snares to record over the years is one of the most perplexing phenomonons I've ever noticed.

SM.
Funny. I've had the same experience. The kit I have is pretty nice but the snare is kind of a POS, loose nuts inside, been beaten on for many years, Almost every time someone brings in their own kit we end up using mine - no matter how fancy and well kept up theirs is, and it's not just me making the decision.

I've been kicking myself, because a while ago at a used store they had a really beat up old marching band snare that was like $30 and really sounded cool and I didn't have the money on me at the time. I bet I would have gotten a lot of use out of it.

You're right - strange phenomena! Maybe it's kind of like how an old guitar just sounds better because it's been played for years and the wood has changed over time...

I need to go out and look for old ones again and start to build a collection...
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have a old 14x4-5 Sonor snare with diecast hoops. It is very thin and its of the lowend side of the Sonor series. But its full, crisp and sensitiv!
Any one got som plastic Sonor lugs? They staret to break!
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Personally I go for anything that works, steel, brass, wood, thick or thin. Usually find that good kit players have good snares. Many players I know use fairly standard snares and just tune them right to get a good sound.

Have to say though one of the best snares I've ever heard is a solid one piece wood snare owned by Neil Wilkinson. Pearl made it for him especially. If I remember correctly, he told me it took them six months to form the shell! No damping required! Hit by the rim it rang like a timbale, hit in the centre it was beautifully damped!

Regards

Roland
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah, IMO a snare should sound like a really good timbale when the snare is released- unless you're going for the Spector thing.
Old 6th March 2003
One with big hooves

I have 6 snares here to pick from. Most drummers will bring 2-3 more with them so choices are always around. I don't have anything super expensive or exotic but there is some cool stuff and I try to keep them in good shape. Probably the coolest snare is the one that doesn't get used a lot. It's a 5x13 staved job from the Woodstock Drum Company. It was sitting in a BanjoDepot for a long time, close to 2 years before I made them an offer and gave it a good home. One of my happiest moments was tracking a project last year where the drummer brought in an OCDP that was about $1100 (bragging the whole time) and we eneded up using my $60 Yomama on about half the songs. And it was his choice!!!

The collection here is all over the place. Two metal snares, 4 wood, shells are all kinds of different thicknesses and one of them is a free floater. It's not uncommon to swap them around for each new song.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
8 and even 6 lug monsrosities
SM.
I really like snare drums with 8 lugs instead of 10. They sound more open to me. It seems that TAMA is the only mass produced snares that have 8, most have 10.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Watche out for that Pearl Omar Hakim 13x5 mahagony snare.
It can do the piccolo thing, the 14x5 lowmid thing and anything in between.
I love that little critter! Very versatile and allways with a fat low/lowmid punch. The shell is of 6 plys of african mahagony and its quite thick.
I bought mine at a shop clearance and it has the gold hardward so it would fitt onto a yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
Snares- metal or wood, thick or thin?-omarhakim.jpg  
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

well this thread is highly entertaining. i was looking at "investing" in a snare... or 4, maybe today i will hit up all the pawn shops in town. i was hoping to get a so so nice one [not $1k, but more like $300... all i have is a 3.5"... i need some deeper ones]
Old 6th March 2003
Can't stop buying gear...

Alpha, look for a 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic - probably the most versatile metal shell ever made. I had a '67 that I'm still kicking myself for selling.

For wood shells, it's all over the map. I agree with Drumsound about 8 lugs sounding better than ten. I have one of the Tama's he mentioned, an 8-lug, 5x14 Starclassic - it's a killer drum and less than $400. I pulled the cast hoops off and put on flanged to open it up a bit more.
Old 6th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
well this thread is highly entertaining. i was looking at "investing" in a snare... or 4, maybe today i will hit up all the pawn shops in town. i was hoping to get a so so nice one [not $1k, but more like $300... all i have is a 3.5"... i need some deeper ones]
World Max makes a great copy of a Black Beauty called the Black Dawg. It's about $260-280 and well worth the cash. With $300 I'd go out and get a chrome snare from a Rockstar or similar kit, probably 6x14 and a Tama maple snare from the Artwood line, maybe the 5x14 and that should cover most of the bases. The only problem with pawn shop snares is that sometimes the shells are warped or something else is ****ed up and the snare is junk because of it.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bleen
Alpha, look for a 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic - probably the most versatile metal shell ever made. I had a '67 that I'm still kicking myself for selling.
Tee hee. I have on esitting within an arms reach as I type this.

Anybody have any experience with Rodgers hardware? I have been informed that Mitch Mitchell used to swap out his hardware for Rodgers. The only Rodgers hardware I have experience with is that funky ass snare thingy.
Old 6th March 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Tee hee. I have on esitting within an arms reach as I type this.
Damn, G-man, that's harsh!!fuuck heh

I'm keeping my eye on a couple of them on Ebay - I may indeed take the plunge again!
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

anyone used those pearl "floating" snares? i was looking at those, only @ $350 for a 6.5x14 wood shell.
Old 7th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I had one of the Pearl floaters several years ago. They don't take a beating very well, at least not the one I had. It went out of tune fast and the shell lost all its tone after about 4 years of playing gigs on it about twice a month, plus practicing 2-3 times a week. It sounded a-****ing-mazing for the first year, though. Quite a love affair. I wasn't playing music that could baby that snare, though.

My other snares are a 14x14 (you read that right) wood Ludwig power lug marching snare - I have only one snare stand that goes low enough to play it... loud as a cannon and twice as durable... plus very tuneable... serious thud to extreme high tap. Next is the Pork Pie wood 12x4.5 little singer, without dampening, it sings more than any timbale you'll ever hear, which can be very useful... killer pop and crack but no body.
Then there's the Noble and Cooley Alloy Custom. This is my favorite snare by a longshot. It was costly but it has more range and flexiblity of tone than any metal snare I've heard.
Last is the DW Craviotto piece of ****. I don't want to get into the details, but DW shouldn't say they can make something that they can't. I got stuck with a very expensive custom built snare that sounds and functions like ****. I'll fix it up someday, but that was the last time I shopped GC or bought anything DW. It looks beautiful but who gives a ****.

Then N&C is a thin alloy, the rest of the snares above are medium thickness except for the Crappiotto which is very thick and has those extra fat support rings inside.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
[B]Tee hee. I have on esitting within an arms reach as I type this.
Me too! No wait... OK now it's sitting on my lap. Bought this snare in 1967 when I got a used Slingerland set and the seller didn't want to include his "good" snare, so he threw in the Ludwig. It has been my Main Snare ever since.

I also have a Ludwig Acrolite- the kind made from some sort of Alien flying saucer metal. Weighs almost nothing. It gets recorded only rarely.

To me a snare drum was always metal - I never much cared for wooden snares- until I heard the Ayotte with the wooden hoops!
Old 7th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
anyone used those pearl "floating" snares? i was looking at those, only @ $350 for a 6.5x14 wood shell.
I have a 5 or 5.5 x14 (not sure how they measure that) maple shell one. It's OK. Fairly dry sounding and pretty crisp but not overly cutting. For the money there are other things that I think are better. I got mine used when I didn't know a lot about drums, but it was a maple shell and took it in trade for an Adat rental so in theory it didn't cost me anything. Look at the Tama Artwoods, those are pretty solid and cheap. So are the Pacific snares, the one with the wood hoops is pretty cool and about $250.

I've got a late '70's Ludwig Supersensitive, a '67 Rogers Powertone COB and a '72 (or so) Rogers 6x14" maple that got some love (edges and finish) by Bill Detamote who is the guy behind Pork Pie. I love that drum and it only cost me $150.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear nut

I have a Pearl floating snare. It's a 14" piccolo, brass shell, cast-iron hoops, and I use a coated Ambassador head and double-wide snares. It is a GREAT snare - the only piccolo with sustain. It should hold up fine if you have the cast-iron hoops.

For a deep wood snare, I use the snare in my Peavey Radial Pro kit. Lots of "crack" for a wood snare. If you haven't heard Peavey's weird-looking, patented drums, you're missing some great drums. I think they're better than DW.

Too bad about Melinda Peavey - RIP.
Old 7th March 2003
SawSlut

For metal music, I prefer wood. I've got a DW collector's 6X14 that sounds like Thor's hammer. Memorable snares the clients have brought in: A Premier artist maple 6X14 was wonderful, a Pearl maple 6X14 (I forget the title, but it sounded great) and a Mapex Picolo worked wonders on a NuMetal band I did.
I've had some clients bring in Tama Rockstar snares (chrome) with mixed results. It really depended on the band & the drummer.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear maniac

snaresnaresanaresnaresnare

Slipperman is right . Go cheap.

I've got a mint Ludwig (repro) Black Beauty that no one ever uses. A Yomama maple Steve Gadd that has never been touched. An aluminum snare from Trick that gets used about 1/3 of the time, and a fu**in cheap steel POS from Tama that everybody loves. Got it for $100.

wurly

by the pond
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Well, seeing as our place is run by drummers the list would be too long....
among my favs are:

Late 60's Ludwig super 400 (that's a brass "Black Beauty" without the black)
Bleiyphuss custom 4x13 (local drum builder)
Pork Pie 3x13
Yamaha Brass 6 and 1/2 (big fat ballad drum)
Brady 4x14 Jarah wood (think Spin doctors early 90's)

boat loads of other boutique drums collected over the years, but the one that gets most use is the early 70's Ludwig Acrolite (aluminum 8 lug student) that I picked up in denve for 50 bucks. Not a loud drum, really controlled and great for tighter funk n RnB stuff.
Old 7th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Pricey
I have a Pearl floating snare. It's a 14" piccolo, brass shell, cast-iron hoops, and I use a coated Ambassador head and double-wide snares. It is a GREAT snare - the only piccolo with sustain. It should hold up fine if you have the cast-iron hoops.
I'm glad it's working for you. I used to have a brass 6 1/2 x14" free floater which sucked donkey dick. There were two drummers that really loved that snare in the 3 or 4 years that I owned it. I tried all kinds of heads, tunings, snare wires and couldn't get anything I liked. It always went 'plink' rather then 'crack'. Yeah, it did have a lot of ring to it and it was loud. Those were the only good qualitys. I sold it right after I got the 6x14 Rogers/Pork Pie.

I'd love to get a GMS or a Spaun one day, probably a 5x14 or 5.5x14. Every one of those that I've heard sounds great. Then again, the players playing those kits always sound great too.
Old 9th March 2003

I just picked up a used Ludwig Acrolite ($129) that I'm stripping and putting tube lugs and cast hoops on - this should be one hot-rodded, cheap-ass snare when I'm done!

I'll try and post a photo later!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search