The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Welcome Tim & "Slipperman"!
Old 2nd March 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

Welcome Tim & "Slipperman"!

Big hello to Tim de Paravicini & Slipperman! I hope you both enjoy your time here.

I recomend folks read up on Tim & EAR-Yoshino here

http://www.ear-yoshino.com

In particular - the Pro Audio section!

As for Slipperman, well known over on ProSoundWeb.com he has agreed to co-host this months forum. He knows a lot and gives a lot - so LETS TAKE IT! He owns and operates a 8000sq. ft.- 4 room analog and digital recording facility in the NYC area with the help of a dozen or so very talented young individuals. Nearing the end of his second decade of audio engineering, 'Slipperman' only pretends to know one thing for sure.... "If you're not laughing about something, you're probably crying about it".

Old 2nd March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Welcome, Tim and SM...looking forward to it!

Slipperman, how's the NY market holding up? I'm hearing terrible rumors coming out of NY and even LA at the moment.
Old 2nd March 2003
Super Moderator

Welcome Gentlemen...

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 2nd March 2003

Slipperman, moderator at Gearslutz, <couf, couf, arrgh ...couf>
Damn, I almost died choking the sunday roast ( it is noon in France, thank you)
You really did this this time you big Gearslutz minion, you gonna have a hard time back home (mixerman forum,PSW).
Anyway, listen carefully, for thoses who don't know old Slip: he is a most knowledgeable guy in AE, and the funniest lovable person I know on the internet.

Great move from Gearslutz moderators, this site rocks

malice
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear interested

Good to have you over here slipperman.
Old 2nd March 2003
One with big hooves

Oh man... HA! Welcome aboard sailor. grggt
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Greetings to slipermann and Tim from the new sailing country Switzerland.rollz

Jo
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

W E L C O M E
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Oh oh, Slipperman looked into Jules eyes and he was Hypno'ed.

A fitting moderating scenario seeing as slipperman is such a gearslut from way back.

Tim, I don't know you yet, but welcome.
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

I like this already!
Old 3rd March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

The top three or four studios in Paris (my market) are doing just fine. It's all the others who are doing so-so or worse.

We've just finished our best month ever...I guess we're sort of a sound hotel...one main J studio doing the business...and two PT project/OD rooms (one with an analog desk, the other with a DM2000) rented out to producers for the next year.

The J room is doing three things: Music mixing, live tracking (mostly drums, gits, piano and string sections), and 5.1 tracking+mixing for picture. I see the 5.1 for picture as an important part of our future.

You never know what's ahead, though.

SM...what IYHO would be the best strategy for a Sound Hotel right now....continually invest to stay at the top of the business, or retrench to ride out the lean times?
Old 3rd March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Thanks, SM...back to you too.

I'd agree with you.

Seems to me that at the end of the day, a few important issues like reputation, image, how the rooms and mains sound, the console, how comfortable clients feel there, how big the CR or live space or lounge is, overall vibe, how far a drive it is...and for first-time clients, the "buzz" and word of mouth...seem to outweigh all the other stuff.

*Sigh*...the big advantage of the top rooms who play the "arms race" is that they attract the clients who have to have the "best" and are willing to pay for it...like one studio in town here that has Sting for 3 months followed by Celine Dion for several more. That studio has the right image, a good location, and the biggest new XL in Europe. Of course, only a handful of studios like that can survive in a given market.

Jon
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear nut

WOW..it rocks in here1

slippie many blessings
happy to watch you at your work
i will give booboo a bath and a fresh lab rat for you as i know you will be busy
Old 4th March 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

jon - "Seems to me that at the end of the day, a few important issues like reputation, image, how the rooms and mains sound, the console, how comfortable clients feel there, how big the CR or live space or lounge is, overall vibe, how far a drive it is...and for first-time clients, the "buzz" and word of mouth...seem to outweigh all the other stuff."

Does this mean you are going to slow down on gear purchases then?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

grggt grggt grggt grggt grggt

Still, it was amusing thought there for a second!

Psst! Wanna buy a second hand Apogee AD8kSE?

Old 4th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Actually, I kind of did slow down on gear these past months, concentrating more on building improvements and the staff/service side of the facility.

That will change soon, however.

Email me about the Apogee.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search