The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Standard Mixing Setup?
Old 26th May 2007
Gear addict

Standard Mixing Setup?

Apologies if this has already been asked -- haven't seen it...

But I'm hoping before you get back to your busy life of creating wonderful listening experiences for the rest of the planet, maybe you can describe your 'basic' starting point setup for a mix.

How many effects busses do you usually use and what's typically on them? I know you've said you don't use a lot of reverbs, so do you have standard delays that you start out witih on a few busses?

And for all your mults and parallel compression/distortion, what's the usual routing - do you duplicate the track, or use dedicated fx/aux busses for drums, gits, vox, etc?

If this gets answered THANKS, and if it doesn't... THANKS for being part of the incredible audio nirvana that IS Gearsluzt.com!

Old 26th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi,

I believe that if you do a search you will find that he has already answered this question.
Old 26th May 2007
Gear addict

As I say, apologies if it's been covered. I just went over all the threads I could see and still didn't find it. Lots of fabulous and helpful, insightful information though... I advise all gearslutters to go on a fruitless search through this forum like I did -- what you find along the way will be well worth the trip. Even stuff I'd read already, it seems I'd pick up a few cool new tidbits that sank in better the second time around.

Especially this:

"Music is changing, I'm changing, and I don't want to make the same sounds forever. What better time to change up."

Whether or not I find the answer to my original question, I think this quote more than makes up for it. Makes me realize how rare it is these days to feel truly 'inspsired', so I sure do appreciate it when some new high quality head-spinning like this comes around.

(Now the obligatory smilies-- sorry, my 5 year old demands it!)

heh
Old 27th May 2007
mongrell mixer

ITB mix start point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
As I say, apologies if it's been covered. I just went over all the threads I could see and still didn't find it. Lots of fabulous and helpful, insightful information though... I advise all gearslutters to go on a fruitless search through this forum like I did -- what you find along the way will be well worth the trip. Even stuff I'd read already, it seems I'd pick up a few cool new tidbits that sank in better the second time around.

Especially this:

"Music is changing, I'm changing, and I don't want to make the same sounds forever. What better time to change up."

Whether or not I find the answer to my original question, I think this quote more than makes up for it. Makes me realize how rare it is these days to feel truly 'inspsired', so I sure do appreciate it when some new high quality head-spinning like this comes around.

(Now the obligatory smilies-- sorry, my 5 year old demands it!)

heh
ITB start up, for now:

EQ=URS API (550 style) on all channels.
Compressor=SSL channel on kick & snare, Massey MT4 on all others.
Drum bus= C4 multi band comp+SSL comp(sometimes 2 SSLs).
Mix bus=Phoenix, ML4000.
FX channel= mono dly/Echoboy(TelRay or Binson), stereo FX/Altiverb.

from there, anything goes.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear addict

Thank you! (big fan of URS API and Altiverb myself...)

And thanks to you and Jules for making this yet another 'legendary' month for Gearslutz everywhere.

cheers.

(apologies for the smiley overload).

Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search