The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your influence
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Your influence

My last question might be uncomfortable for you to answer. You're obviously a humble, non-self-aggrandizing guy:

Are you aware of your influence?

Do you ever hear the impact of the innovations that you brought to pop music echoed in the work of others? You've mentioned Missy Elliott and Beck's "Guero" as records you like. I love them too but to me they almost sound like records you could have made.

And there are aspects of, say, Nigel Godrich and Jon Brion and Dave Fridmann's work that I feel have strong parallels to the signature Froom/Blake aesthetic. Whether or not there was a direct influence, it seems that you paved the way for more creative sonics in popular records.

These days, nobody blinks when an engineer adds distortion to non-guitar elements. No one looks at you funny or thinks you're weird. I credit you for making some formerly unorthodo practices more orthodox. So thank you for that.
Old 24th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
My last question might be uncomfortable for you to answer. You're obviously a humble, non-self-aggrandizing guy:

Are you aware of your influence?

Do you ever hear the impact of the innovations that you brought to pop music echoed in the work of others? You've mentioned Missy Elliott and Beck's "Guero" as records you like. I love them too but to me they almost sound like records you could have made.

And there are aspects of, say, Nigel Godrich and Jon Brion and Dave Fridmann's work that I feel have strong parallels to the signature Froom/Blake aesthetic. Whether or not there was a direct influence, it seems that you paved the way for more creative sonics in popular records.

These days, nobody blinks when an engineer adds distortion to non-guitar elements. No one looks at you funny or thinks you're weird. I credit you for making some formerly unorthodo practices more orthodox. So thank you for that.
THX for the accolades.
From my perspective I've just tried to mimic the records I grew up liking. All kinds of records.
I don't think I've created much that's new here, maybe just helped to revive some good ideas and even make some of those my own.
That's cool if I've done that.
I've never thought of myself as very influential but if I've been able to garner interest enough for this forum I'm over the moon about it.
It's been an eye opener and very instructional for me.
THX again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search