The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Colossol Head FLANGE, Lisa Germano SNARE, Mapfumo, A.M.F !
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Head

Colossol Head FLANGE, Lisa Germano SNARE, Mapfumo, A.M.F !

Hi Tchad,

Years ago, Danny Kopelson put LOS LOBOS Colossol Head on the "mains" in the studio, and that is STILL my favorite of yours!

I have to know WHAT / HOW you did the intro to "MARICELA".
It sounds like good ol reversed reverb, but in MONO, it becomes this lush FLANGE !
I must have "rewound" this one a thousand times, and it can still stop me in my tracks when it comes up in "shuffle" on my iPod.

Also, am guilty of listening to the INTRO to "EVERYBODY LOVES A TRAIN" in MONO w/ the Speakers OUT OF PHASE. Really amazing inight into what the panning and sansamp leaves as "remnants" (the NEVE Capricorn is one of the only "consoles" that makes this a 2 button move: MONO / Monitor Phase)

And my last question for this record (for now) is the DELAY on the SNR / HAT for "CAN'T STOP THE RAIN"
Not only is the tone killer, but the delay time is much longer than I would have thought. It fools me everytime!
Howdja do it?

Lisa Germano's SLIDE is a SNARE fest (for me!).
How are you getting that sound on "CRASH", "BETTY", etc...(this shows up on some SOUL COUGHING too...)
It sounds like much compression on a bottom head being hit with Blasticks, and possibly some Slap Echo !

Your Kick, Snare, Hat, and Bass tones / balances are generally the best I know, but this album in particular seems to stand out for the Snare Drum tones and variety!
Anything especially special about those sessions??

And finally, THOMAS MAPFUMO's Chimurenga: African Spirit Music is supposedly a BINAURAL RECORDING, but I can't help but grab the limited liner notes everytime I hear this CD ! It just sounds TOO good (!?), that my brain is tricked into thinking it is Multi-Tracked, Mixed, etc...
Please set me straight on this one!

Thanksomuch,
Brian

p.s.
I have ALIEN MOTHER FILTER #16 for sale at bennettstudios.com
I hear you have 2 of these! LOVE THEM TO PIECES!!!
Old 24th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu-tron-kid View Post
Hi Tchad,

Years ago, Danny Kopelson put LOS LOBOS Colossol Head on the "mains" in the studio, and that is STILL my favorite of yours!

I have to know WHAT / HOW you did the intro to "MARICELA".
It sounds like good ol reversed reverb, but in MONO, it becomes this lush FLANGE !
I must have "rewound" this one a thousand times, and it can still stop me in my tracks when it comes up in "shuffle" on my iPod.

Also, am guilty of listening to the INTRO to "EVERYBODY LOVES A TRAIN" in MONO w/ the Speakers OUT OF PHASE. Really amazing inight into what the panning and sansamp leaves as "remnants" (the NEVE Capricorn is one of the only "consoles" that makes this a 2 button move: MONO / Monitor Phase)

And my last question for this record (for now) is the DELAY on the SNR / HAT for "CAN'T STOP THE RAIN"
Not only is the tone killer, but the delay time is much longer than I would have thought. It fools me everytime!
Howdja do it?

Lisa Germano's SLIDE is a SNARE fest (for me!).
How are you getting that sound on "CRASH", "BETTY", etc...(this shows up on some SOUL COUGHING too...)
It sounds like much compression on a bottom head being hit with Blasticks, and possibly some Slap Echo !

Your Kick, Snare, Hat, and Bass tones / balances are generally the best I know, but this album in particular seems to stand out for the Snare Drum tones and variety!
Anything especially special about those sessions??

And finally, THOMAS MAPFUMO's Chimurenga: African Spirit Music is supposedly a BINAURAL RECORDING, but I can't help but grab the limited liner notes everytime I hear this CD ! It just sounds TOO good (!?), that my brain is tricked into thinking it is Multi-Tracked, Mixed, etc...
Please set me straight on this one!

Thanksomuch,
Brian

p.s.
I have ALIEN MOTHER FILTER #16 for sale at bennettstudios.com
I hear you have 2 of these! LOVE THEM TO PIECES!!!
>Colossal Head;
1- Yes, stereo backwards reverb through the Hughes SRS crossfade to mono percussion on the left.
2-Don't know what's going on there but I'm glad you like it.
3-Delay is a DOD (powder blue) analog delay EQ'd to **** but not that long really. 200 ms???? or something.
>Slide;
Jerry Marotta used some crazy Taos drums on this record and that's what you hear, with some more of the DOD delay. No bottom mic.
The wild card here is Jerry. Nobody sounds like him.
>Maphumo;
I'll have to check on the binaural thing. I don't remember it being binaual. Does it say that it is?
>Kanwal Dulay AMF, he's a crazy guy who made that pedal. I have a few things he's made. Why are you selling it? He's not making anymore.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Head

Thanks Tchad!
You are always an inspiration, especially when I feel like everything out there is sounding BAD.

I had AMF #1 +2 way back when and have worked with him to get them out to people in the US.

I love all his gear and try to keep them available to the public whenever I get stock.

I just got a bunch of prototypes (Earth Pedal, ring-choruses, etc...) SOme of these will go up on the site and be available for demo at Rumble Seat Music.

I am a huge fan of running "guitar" pedals (mostly mu-tron's of course!) as EFX during tracking and mixing, and am always happy to hear your use of them so I know I can "still get away with it".

Thanks Again for taking the time to do this!
Brian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search