The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hughes AK-100 Settings & Mono-Compat
Old 11th May 2007
Gear interested

Hughes AK-100 Settings & Mono-Compat

Hi Tchad,

I luckily found one of these units in storage at my parents place and I'm going to give it a whirl. I searched for a manual but was not successful. Can you give a quick rundown of typical button (in/out) / knob positions you have your unit set with. It would be a real help. Also, I wired the in/outs to the "Unit" not the "Loop" on the back panel, is this correct?

A second question I had was with mono-compatibility using this effect. Is it pretty much not possible, or can it be depending on settings.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Joey
Old 11th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Mono no mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey raia View Post
Hi Tchad,

I luckily found one of these units in storage at my parents place and I'm going to give it a whirl. I searched for a manual but was not successful. Can you give a quick rundown of typical button (in/out) / knob positions you have your unit set with. It would be a real help. Also, I wired the in/outs to the "Unit" not the "Loop" on the back panel, is this correct?

A second question I had was with mono-compatibility using this effect. Is it pretty much not possible, or can it be depending on settings.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Joey
In and full on. 'Center' 7-10 o'clock. 'Unit' is correct.
Yours is the second question about mono compatabilily this week and I'm trying to figure out why it's important. I haven't checked in years.
SRS is not mono compatable. If you put your FX (reverbs, room,delays) through it they will diminish in the mono fold down. I always liked that effect and wanted to utilise it so mixes sounded really different depending on how they were played. How cool would that be.
Old 16th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
In and full on. 'Center' 7-10 o'clock. 'Unit' is correct.
Yours is the second question about mono compatabilily this week and I'm trying to figure out why it's important. I haven't checked in years.
SRS is not mono compatable. If you put your FX (reverbs, room,delays) through it they will diminish in the mono fold down. I always liked that effect and wanted to utilise it so mixes sounded really different depending on how they were played. How cool would that be.
i agree with you in theory. only case for mono compat might be if you used the SRS as 100% of your lead vocal sound because you wanted it to sound really extremely wide- not everyone would be cool with the lead vocal going away in some environments. but i get what you mean - it would be fun to hear the mix differently sometimes - but maybe not in the case of the LV...
Old 17th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancook View Post
i agree with you in theory. only case for mono compat might be if you used the SRS as 100% of your lead vocal sound because you wanted it to sound really extremely wide- not everyone would be cool with the lead vocal going away in some environments. but i get what you mean - it would be fun to hear the mix differently sometimes - but maybe not in the case of the LV...
I dunno, what happened to the good 'ol instrumental in pop music. The Pretenders used to have one on their records, Pink Floyd, Beatles...???
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Head

Bring back the mono instrumental

Yeah, bring back the instrumental!
Until Bob Ezrin put his oar in, Floyd's Brick II was pretty much going to be an instrumental ... all those edits, all those kids ... (all that work) ... PF could have beaten Bob Seeger to that Grammy if the original spacey version had been released!
:-)
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search