The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
drums in a small room
Old 7th May 2007
  #1
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
drums in a small room

hi tchad, great to have you here

My question(s) pertain to your philosophy of recording drums in a small room. I too have been heading this way, albeit with quite a dry sound, so I am interested in your take on a few issues.

I have been told that you like to use "the smallest possible room" (quote some people that have worked with you, yes I am from new zealand), is this true? is there no limit (besides the size of the kit i suppose!)?

do you use just standard rectangular rooms, standing waves and all? or do you like to dampen, or diffuse, the sound in the room? what about bass trapping?

I am finding my preference for ribbons for overheads is not mixing well with my small room tangent, as they pick up too much room sound. Do you use a typical pair of cardoid condensers for OHs? and are they positioned unusually close to the cymbals to minimise room sound or?

thanks alot
I am looking forward to hearing the new crowded house!
narco
Old 7th May 2007
  #2
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
hi tchad, great to have you here

My question(s) pertain to your philosophy of recording drums in a small room. I too have been heading this way, albeit with quite a dry sound, so I am interested in your take on a few issues.

I have been told that you like to use "the smallest possible room" (quote some people that have worked with you, yes I am from new zealand), is this true? is there no limit (besides the size of the kit i suppose!)?

do you use just standard rectangular rooms, standing waves and all? or do you like to dampen, or diffuse, the sound in the room? what about bass trapping?

I am finding my preference for ribbons for overheads is not mixing well with my small room tangent, as they pick up too much room sound. Do you use a typical pair of cardoid condensers for OHs? and are they positioned unusually close to the cymbals to minimise room sound or?

thanks alot
I am looking forward to hearing the new crowded house!
narco
Yes I like small, dead rooms. If it's small and live you may have to put some absorbers in there. Never had a problem with bass trapping.
I use a Neuman KU100 binaural head for the OHs.
In the dead rooms I've used there is no room sound to speak of but I do close mic everything.
The Sound Factory studio B vocal booth I used for years was just big enough for a medium size kit but the player needed to be quite agile to get out.
Does that help??
Old 7th May 2007
  #3
gem
Gear maniac
 
gem's Avatar
 

hi tchad,
which fx do you use on the kit when tracked in small room
but want some bigger drum-room sound in mix?
which fx boxes have worked for you in the past?

ever tried reamping in bigger place later?

another question:
how much lowend do you mostly filter out(or if any) of the overheads?

thank you

cem
Old 8th May 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Wow. That is one wierd looking mic.
Old 8th May 2007
  #5
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
yes thanks, it seems quite a dead room is the key, which is what I've been doing anyway, damn I'll have to think of another question now

thanks
narco
Old 9th May 2007
  #6
Gear nut
 
Local 47's Avatar
 

cymbals?

Hi (T)chad,

How do you start setting up drums (and I'm not talking about mics or preamps and stuff)? I mean, how early in the recording phase do you start bringing your own drums and cymbals?
Let me give you a typical example: generally when I record a drummer, he/she starts by bringing in the loudest snare, biggest kick and heaviest (loudest) cymbals: more is more and louder is louder. Next comes the drums setup; hihat right above the snare, cymbals horizontal to the ground (to be able to hit them harder ), ride two inches above the toms. You get the picture: smeared out cymbals all over the place.
That's why I'm wondering how soon you would react to this kind of issues.
PS: is that why I see Pete Thomas on records you do so often?heh
Thanks a lot, D
Old 9th May 2007
  #7
Gear maniac
 
pedrohead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem View Post
hi tchad,
which fx do you use on the kit when tracked in small room
but want some bigger drum-room sound in mix?
which fx boxes have worked for you in the past?

ever tried reamping in bigger place later?

another question:
how much lowend do you mostly filter out(or if any) of the overheads?

thank you

cem
yeah, i'd really like some insight into this, as i'm in the same situation.

(Tchad Blake gives renewed hope to millions recording in their garages- heh Jules )
Old 10th May 2007
  #8
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

small rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 View Post
Hi (T)chad,

How do you start setting up drums (and I'm not talking about mics or preamps and stuff)? I mean, how early in the recording phase do you start bringing your own drums and cymbals?
Let me give you a typical example: generally when I record a drummer, he/she starts by bringing in the loudest snare, biggest kick and heaviest (loudest) cymbals: more is more and louder is louder. Next comes the drums setup; hihat right above the snare, cymbals horizontal to the ground (to be able to hit them harder ), ride two inches above the toms. You get the picture: smeared out cymbals all over the place.
That's why I'm wondering how soon you would react to this kind of issues.
PS: is that why I see Pete Thomas on records you do so often?heh
Thanks a lot, D
Live kits don't work for me without a lot of alterations unless you record them in a fair size room as if live.
Live is great but it's another world.
Studio recording is a fantasy where if you want the band to sound live you have to fool the listener and that can be done in strange ways. Like big sounds from a small kit.
I've always had lousy luck with big loud kits hit hard so if I see one come in I'll listen to it but my gear is already coming out.
If the player is unwilling to change you have to be honest with them and give your reasons why it just won't sound good no matter what you do unless you can make some adjustments.
Thicker heads, quieter cymbals and hats, or a different kit entirely.
As far as placement, any drummer thats any good should be able to move drums around slightly to accomodate the sound, like hats for instance.
I remember days like you describe, don't miss 'em. So much easier with a great drummer who knows how to hit.
Old 10th May 2007
  #9
MonsterIsland.com
 

What makes cymbals quieter, thickness, size or both?

Do you ever manipulate them physically, like taping them or anything?
Old 11th May 2007
  #10
Gear Nut
 
supafuzz's Avatar
 

Original sans amp tricks

Hi Tchad.
I recently started using my original sans-amp for bass and it sounds amazing.

I was wondering if you had any particular dip switch settings you like to use for kick drums and any other off the wall uses and recommendations. I was lucky enough to receive 3 as a gift some years ago...
thanks

harley
zeroville recording
Old 11th May 2007
  #11
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
What makes cymbals quieter, thickness, size or both?

Do you ever manipulate them physically, like taping them or anything?
There's alot to cymbals. Diameter, weight and size of bell all contibute to loudness. Generally light to medium weight are lower in level and have more tone with less stick. They're also quicker to react than big heavy cymbals but also quicker to decay. I have some hats that are sheet cut (as opposed to cast metal) that are weird but sound great to me. Very low level.
Yes, gaffer tape has been on many a kit I've recorded, cymbals included. Too many ways of taping and treating cymbals to mention. EXPERIMENT!!!!
Old 12th May 2007
  #12
MonsterIsland.com
 

I do! I was wondering if I was the only one with the tape on the cymbals.

I work pretty much weekly with a drummer who has some custom cymbals that started as Zildjian thinnes cymbals, but then he had them cut or lathed even thinner. They bend with finger pressure. Unfortuately for me, even though the cymbals reside a my place, they in hiis off limits collection. I was curious what other people do. I'm going to look in to sheet cut.
Old 13th May 2007
  #13
Gear interested
 
Loudmac's Avatar
 

Tchad ,

Sounds like we drive down the same road when it comes to cymbals.
I love those cheap stamped cymbals...wuhan...etc...
they are quiet and with a short decay they dont eat up all the compression...the seceret is out and I may lose my Paiste deal
Thanks for all your advice this last month!
cheers,
Brian MacLeod
Old 14th May 2007
  #14
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmac View Post
Tchad ,

Sounds like we drive down the same road when it comes to cymbals.
I love those cheap stamped cymbals...wuhan...etc...
they are quiet and with a short decay they dont eat up all the compression...the seceret is out and I may lose my Paiste deal
Thanks for all your advice this last month!
cheers,
Brian MacLeod
Hey Brian, cool stuff.
Old 19th May 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 

6x6 Room

Hey Tchad, Thanks for being here... I would like to hear your thoughts on Recording Drums in a room thats 6x6, Should I go A bit bigger? What Size do you recommend at the least?
Old 19th May 2007
  #16
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoe View Post
Hey Tchad, Thank for being here... I would like to hear your thoughts on Recording Drums in a room thats 6x6, Should I go A bit bigger? What Size do you recommend at the least?
Is it a relatively dead room? Deader the better. I know someone doing their drums in a vocal booth that's 5'x6' and they sound great. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 19th May 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
yumdrum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Is it a relatively dead room? Deader the better. I know someone doing their drums in a vocal booth that's 5'x6' and they sound great. Shouldn't be a problem.
Tchad, this is good to hear as I just purchased a Wenger booth not much bigger than this for that very reason.
What are the best tom mics for close micing in this situation? I currently have the 421's and e604's. Will these be good in the small area as well?
Thanks much. Dave
Old 19th May 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
yumdrum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Is it a relatively dead room? Deader the better. I know someone doing their drums in a vocal booth that's 5'x6' and they sound great. Shouldn't be a problem.
Tchad, thanks for your insight. I just purchased a Wenger booth for this very reason.
Any mics you prefer over others on the toms for close micing in this small of an area?
Old 22nd May 2007
  #19
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumdrum View Post
Tchad, this is good to hear as I just purchased a Wenger booth not much bigger than this for that very reason.
What are the best tom mics for close micing in this situation? I currently have the 421's and e604's. Will these be good in the small area as well?
Thanks much. Dave

I never use anything but 421s on toms. Should be fine.
Loading mentioned products ...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PurpleGuitars / Low End Theory
10
karatemanjohnny / So much gear, so little time!
79
dim light / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
nodell / So much gear, so little time!
1

Forum Jump