The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Go To Vocal Effect/Treatment?
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Go To Vocal Effect/Treatment?

Hey Tchad,

Firstly, Thanks Again! We all appreciate your time very much.

My question is, do you have any vocal effects or treatment to the voice you like to start a mix with? i.e., reverbs, distortion effects, certain compressors/settings, etc? thanks!
Old 30th April 2007
mongrell mixer

Vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Hey Tchad,

Firstly, Thanks Again! We all appreciate your time very much.

My question is, do you have any vocal effects or treatment to the voice you like to start a mix with? i.e., reverbs, distortion effects, certain compressors/settings, etc? thanks!
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.
Old 4th May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.
Hi tchad,
you mean analog delays on vocals I suppose? Like the ones you mentioned? What about your classic digital studio delays like PCM 42, AMS DMX, SDE 3000, 2290? Or do you use those more for instruments?
And second, running stuff through the Neves when you mix: are you after distorting the vocals by running them through the mic input again?
Thanks.
Doug
Old 4th May 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Tchad! What did you use to distort Ed Vedder?
Old 5th May 2007
mongrell mixer

whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 View Post
Hi tchad,
you mean analog delays on vocals I suppose? Like the ones you mentioned? What about your classic digital studio delays like PCM 42, AMS DMX, SDE 3000, 2290? Or do you use those more for instruments?
And second, running stuff through the Neves when you mix: are you after distorting the vocals by running them through the mic input again?
Thanks.
Doug
Thanks for the correction.
I also use the digi delays but rarely on vocals.
Neves- no, I'm using the line amp (and sometimes EQ) when mixing just because I like the sound.
When needed, the old Neve mic pres have no rival for distortion on vocals and GTRs and.......
Old 6th May 2007
Gear interested

Quote:

Hi tchad

whats your favourite flavour of neve

73? 81? 95?
Old 7th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
Hi tchad

whats your favourite flavour of neve

73? 81? 95?
I own four 1084's, so they're my favorite.
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Maniac

which phoenix settings do you usually go to for vocals?
Old 15th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
which phoenix settings do you usually go to for vocals?
Not used a lot on vocals but when I have there's been no 'go to' setting. I try them all if I need to, though I usually start with Dark Essence.
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

thanks Tchad!
Old 18th May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Tchad,
The Pultec thing seems to be a constant (for you) when it comes to mixing vocals. On the other hand, the API 550A is not exactly the worst eq either; can you explain what you don't like about it, so you need to use the pultec? Is it too harsh for you on vocals?
Thx. Doug
Old 18th May 2007
mongrell mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 View Post
Tchad,
The Pultec thing seems to be a constant (for you) when it comes to mixing vocals. On the other hand, the API 550A is not exactly the worst eq either; can you explain what you don't like about it, so you need to use the pultec? Is it too harsh for you on vocals?
Thx. Doug
I use both in a mix. The Pultec I use for HF (16K) boost which unlike the API you can shape. Very smooth airy sound. The API is used for reducing harshness and sibilance (5-7K) and adding mids, if needed, in the 1.5K range, my favorite frequency on an API.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search