The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Phish Record
Old 26th April 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MJGreene Audio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Phish Record

Tchad,
Can you talk a little bit about working on the Phish CD that you produced with them? I saw the Video of the album making and it looked like it was really fun. How did the Drum cage sound and how was the barn to work in? I especially love when your talking to the drummer about finding all his old trashy cymbals.

Thanks for being here,
Michael Greene
Old 26th April 2007
  #2
where could i find that video? is it online somewhere?
Old 27th April 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
MJGreene Audio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by willylumplumps View Post
where could i find that video? is it online somewhere?
Comcast runs it every 4-6 months in the "On Demand" section. I think you could probably find it on DVD though if you looked. I seem to remember that it was either released as a Dualdisc or at lease some kind of DVD. Not positive though.

Michael Greene
Old 27th April 2007
  #4
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Tchad,
Can you talk a little bit about working on the Phish CD that you produced with them? I saw the Video of the album making and it looked like it was really fun. How did the Drum cage sound and how was the barn to work in? I especially love when your talking to the drummer about finding all his old trashy cymbals.

Thanks for being here,
Michael Greene
The cage was awesome, but we didn't end up using it all that much. The band sounded much better all in the same room, no barriers. They actually put old Dodge van doors on it for access. Fantastic.
The Barn is one of the most beautiful studios I've ever been in. Great vibe.
Old 28th April 2007
  #5
Gear interested
 
digidisaster's Avatar
 

Hello Tchad,

Thanks so much for answering our questions. I am a big fan of Trey's guitar tone. I was wondering what mic(s)/pres you used to capture his sound. I thought I read somewhere that he uses a custom semi-hollow body guitar and usually has 2 tube screamers with a ross compressor behind them. Did you use predominantly small fenderish amps for recording? Thanks.
Old 28th April 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MJGreene Audio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
The cage was awesome, but we didn't end up using it all that much. The band sounded much better all in the same room, no barriers. They actually put old Dodge van doors on it for access. Fantastic.
The Barn is one of the most beautiful studios I've ever been in. Great vibe.
Thank you. How much did you end up using the Neumann KM-105's for vocals or did you end up overdubbing vocals in the more "proper" way?

Did you ever have any issues or problems with the console and monitors all being in the same room or did it just add to the ease of communication?

I love the look and vibe of that room. It would be a dream room to have.

Thanks again.
Michael Greene
Old 28th April 2007
  #7
which one

which Phish album was that?
Old 29th April 2007
  #8
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Thank you. How much did you end up using the Neumann KM-105's for vocals or did you end up overdubbing vocals in the more "proper" way?

Did you ever have any issues or problems with the console and monitors all being in the same room or did it just add to the ease of communication?

I love the look and vibe of that room. It would be a dream room to have.

Thanks again.
Michael Greene
No 105's on that one that I remember. We used 57's live but didn't use any live vocals in the final mix. A Tele 251 re-issue was used for the OD's.
It's not all that comfortable all in the same room for me. I've done a fair amount of control room recording at Real World but find the sounds suffer a bit and need more work in the mix.
The Barn, my dream as well.
Old 1st May 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Drumsound's Avatar
I just got that video from client. The two best parts are Fishman talking about you wanting him to use old messed up cymbals and the look on your face when you're air drumming.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #10
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidisaster View Post
Hello Tchad,

Thanks so much for answering our questions. I am a big fan of Trey's guitar tone. I was wondering what mic(s)/pres you used to capture his sound. I thought I read somewhere that he uses a custom semi-hollow body guitar and usually has 2 tube screamers with a ross compressor behind them. Did you use predominantly small fenderish amps for recording? Thanks.
API pre's. Shure 57. Can't remember all the amps. Lot's of GTRs around.
Sorry so little info.
Old 8th May 2007
  #11
Gear maniac
 
madcowvt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
The cage was awesome, but we didn't end up using it all that much. The band sounded much better all in the same room, no barriers. They actually put old Dodge van doors on it for access. Fantastic.
The Barn is one of the most beautiful studios I've ever been in. Great vibe.
Hey Tchad.. is the Barn in Westford? I live in the Burlington area and cannot escape Phish it seems :-)
Old 9th May 2007
  #12
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowvt View Post
Hey Tchad.. is the Barn in Westford? I live in the Burlington area and cannot escape Phish it seems :-)
I don't remember the name but wouldn't be at liberty to say if I could.
Old 18th May 2007
  #13
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
It's not all that comfortable all in the same room for me. I've done a fair amount of control room recording at Real World but find the sounds suffer a bit and need more work in the mix.
The Barn, my dream as well.

mmmmmm... I believe The Barn is in a LOT of other peoples dreams & thoughts...


Tchad, what did you find most uncomfortable about 'open room' recording?

At the moment I'm in the over/underdub phase of a record where 98% of the work is being done in an open room environment which is somewhat unusual for me... We've been at it for a few weeks and so far I'm fairly happy with the tones & VERY happy with the performances and communication~interaction that's taking place!


There's still a long ahead though...





Second question!!!

While you were working at The Barn did you ever sense the feeling that it might've been "alive" or have sprits living inside it? Do you have any first hand experiences with 'strange phenomenon' such as jackets & other inanimate objects moving around, seemingly of their own free will or other bizarre incidents that aren't easily explainable or believable?

Really, any memorable event or story really would be great to hear if you're at liberty to share...

For anyone who hasn’t seen pictures or knows about it, The Barn is (was??!) an 'open room' environment with no separation between anything, built into a circa 1800's barn somewhere WAAAAY outta the way...at least an hour from ANY mere sight of civilization in Vermont.

Truly a special place.



Loading mentioned products ...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
fivestarstudios / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9
Jay Kahrs / So much gear, so little time!
7

Forum Jump