The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making PT work for you
Old 23rd April 2007
  #1
Gear addict
 
Prickstein's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Making PT work for you

HI Tchad,
you mentioned in another thread that you are starting to mix a lot more in the box because you're learning how to.
What plug ins/techniques have you discovered to help achieve the sound you're after?
Old 23rd April 2007
  #2
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

In the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
HI Tchad,
you mentioned in another thread that you are starting to mix a lot more in the box because you're learning how to.
What plug ins/techniques have you discovered to help achieve the sound you're after?
Lots of great stuff out there. URS API EQ is my fav. Massey MT4 compressor for light level control. Compressors are the week link for me just now. They're great at doing a job and being transparent but I usually want a bit of character in a compressor which I still only get in the analog world. Tape simulators give the most character compress I've heard so far such as Massey and McDSP.
Eventide Omnipressor comes very close to real fun. DD Smack is good.
URS, Massey, McDSP, Soundtoys, Phoenix, Prosonique, SSL, iZotope, Ohmboyz. All great.
Audioease stuff blows me away. Can't wait for Speakerphone.

I set PT up like a normal desk. API EQ and MT4 on every channel before I start. Many of them won't get used but I have an ICON which works well like this. Sometimes feels like I haven't changed things so much from being at an analog desk. It's taken me six solid months of recording and mixing this way to START feeling comfortable but I'm lovin it now.
Old 23rd April 2007
  #3
Gear nut
 
tclash's Avatar
 

Comp character

Hey again Tchad-

It's really cool of you to take the time to do this. Thanks for responing to my earlier question. I'm well, thanks.

The big question is: When is someone going to model the SS 610 and Shure Level Lok?
Old 23rd April 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Hi Tchad, wondering if you use an analog summing box or just mix all inside protools. During mixing, do you insert any analog gear either on individual tracks or the master stereo output? Do you still go to big studios to do your final mixes, or are you trying to do all your work on your home setup?
Old 23rd April 2007
  #5
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
Hey again Tchad-

It's really cool of you to take the time to do this. Thanks for responing to my earlier question. I'm well, thanks.

The big question is: When is someone going to model the SS 610 and Shure Level Lok?
I wonder if you can do it with Speakerphone. I'll try when it comes out.
Old 23rd April 2007
  #6
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

summig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
Hi Tchad, wondering if you use an analog summing box or just mix all inside protools. During mixing, do you insert any analog gear either on individual tracks or the master stereo output? Do you still go to big studios to do your final mixes, or are you trying to do all your work on your home setup?
All in the box except for the odd effect, compression...? I'm doing all my mixing at Mongrel (home). Still track at Real World.
Old 23rd April 2007
  #7
So if I may, what is your home studio set up?

A Digidesign Icon?

A bunch of ourboard?

Is there a website for the studio?

Or yourself?

Many thanks!
Old 23rd April 2007
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
I wonder if you can do it with Speakerphone. I'll try when it comes out.
Personally a bit tired of waiting for this software to come out. Its a year behind schedule!
Old 24th April 2007
  #9
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
So if I may, what is your home studio set up?

A Digidesign Icon?

A bunch of ourboard?

Is there a website for the studio?

Or yourself?

Many thanks!
No websites yet. I've got a collection of gear that's to much to list here but I'm still using all my mainstays you've already heard of.
New stuff = the Toft ATB 32 desk(wicked), PT accel HD 5, DD ICON(fantastic), Linn328As(love'm), Studio projects T3 & B1 mics(great AND cheap), iMac for running stand alone virtual instruments(motu/native stuff.Can't get m-tron working and can't get a response from the company?????), James Trussart guitars (the best ever.)
Old 24th April 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Hi Tchad,

I had the same issue with the M-tron. It took a while to get it to run and get a response from g-force but they did get back to me and we did sort it after a few emails, so hopefully you will too.

Its a fantastic piece of software.
Old 24th April 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
Have you been tempted yet to bus your tracks out to the ATB and do a mix on it like the 'old days' or are you just having too much fun with the ICON in the box?
Old 24th April 2007
  #12
Gear Head
 

Just a little clarifying question: You said that you only started using Protools recently .... so up until then was everything you mixed recorded to tape or transfered to tape before you mixed it?

And thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

Best regards
Thomas
Old 24th April 2007
  #13
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Way too much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Have you been tempted yet to bus your tracks out to the ATB and do a mix on it like the 'old days' or are you just having too much fun with the ICON in the box?
I've mixed on a analog desk> tape for 20 years, I'm ready for something new. WhooHa.
Old 25th April 2007
  #14
Gear interested
 

Do you leave the API Eq and MT4 on every channel or turn off the channel that dont need those ?

And what do you put on your master fader ?

Old 25th April 2007
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Studio projects T3 & B1 mics(great AND cheap)
Great of you to do the Q&A, thank you Mr Blake. What do you like the B1 on?
Old 27th April 2007
  #16
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho_dk View Post
Just a little clarifying question: You said that you only started using Protools recently .... so up until then was everything you mixed recorded to tape or transfered to tape before you mixed it?

And thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

Best regards
Thomas
Protools has been the 'tape deck' for about five years now with the odd session really on tape. I always had an assistant and never touched PT until the Phish record 2(?) years ago.
I bought my first rig last year and started to use it myself regularly in September.
Up until last year, all different M.O.'s. Mostly, track to tape then transfer to PT's. More recently it's all Tools.
Mixage, to SADiE and .25 tape 15ips dolbySR ATR100. I'd say 70% of the time SADiE won out on what went to mastering.
Old 27th April 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

Hi Tchad,

If your Imac is intel, you need that Universal Binary Update. Which I can't even figure out how to purchase from the website.

kb
Old 27th April 2007
  #18
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync View Post
Hi Tchad,

If your Imac is intel, you need that Universal Binary Update. Which I can't even figure out how to purchase from the website.

kb
Exactly!!!!!!
Old 28th April 2007
  #19
Gear interested
 
Martian's Avatar
 

Hey Tchad, great of you to hang out!

Have you done any work yet where you have tracked and mixed completely ITB? If so what album?

Thanks
Old 29th April 2007
  #20
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

all ITB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Hey Tchad, great of you to hang out!

Have you done any work yet where you have tracked and mixed completely ITB? If so what album?

Thanks
I'm just finishing State Radio's new album, all done ITB.
Mixed ITB: new Suzanne Vega, Crowded House, Conil.

Early days.
Old 29th April 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
5down1up's Avatar
 

Hi Tchad !

Can you tell us a lil about your mixing templates using protools ?
Guess you have a standart config with a layout that pops up when you start your mixing sessions ? Are you using procsessing on individual tracks or are you a busing maniac ?

12 zillions of Qs more to come

THX for sharing your ideas stike

Have a good day, Kai
Old 2nd May 2007
  #22
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendogs View Post
Do you leave the API Eq and MT4 on every channel or turn off the channel that dont need those ?

And what do you put on your master fader ?

On all channels, many don't get used but are there.

Just now 2 buss=Phoenix+ML4000
Old 2nd May 2007
  #23
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp View Post
Great of you to do the Q&A, thank you Mr Blake. What do you like the B1 on?
Everything so far.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #24
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
Hi Tchad !

Can you tell us a lil about your mixing templates using protools ?
Guess you have a standart config with a layout that pops up when you start your mixing sessions ? Are you using procsessing on individual tracks or are you a busing maniac ?

12 zillions of Qs more to come

THX for sharing your ideas stike

Have a good day, Kai
Mostly individual. URS API+Massey CT4 on very channel.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #25
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Have you been tempted yet to bus your tracks out to the ATB and do a mix on it like the 'old days' or are you just having too much fun with the ICON in the box?
I'm really liking the box so for now no summing.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
seawell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
On all channels, many don't get used but are there.

Just now 2 buss=Phoenix+ML4000
Do you ever use the Phoenix plug-in on individual tracks as well as the 2-buss? What setting do you like on the 2-buss? Thanks for doing this!
Old 3rd May 2007
  #27
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawell View Post
Do you ever use the Phoenix plug-in on individual tracks as well as the 2-buss? What setting do you like on the 2-buss? Thanks for doing this!

Oh yeh, I mix Phoenix and Tape Head on different things individually. I use them as compressors. They have character.

2b=Dark Essence, saphire.
Old 4th May 2007
  #28
Gear interested
 

hey tchad, like everyone else around here, i'm a big fan, and when i see your name on a cd, i know i have to listen. ron sexsmith's whereabouts and suzanne vega's nine objects kick my ass when i listen, and usually my client freak out at how good they sound. the bottom end on nine objects especially is unbeleivable. i have no idea how you do it. anyway, are you using higher sample rates in pt and do you use the urs api "550" or the "560" eq's? or both. thanks for being around and letting us ask you stupid questions like the one i just posted
Old 4th May 2007
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Hey Tchad, Dave McNair here. How did you arrive at the ML 4000 on the 2 mix? Did you try any of the SSL style emulations? Just curious. I've been mixing totally ITB these days as well, and I'm lovin it. Good to 'see' you.
Dave
Old 4th May 2007
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
I've mixed on a analog desk> tape for 20 years, I'm ready for something new. WhooHa.
hello tchad,

i hope you're having fun as i had, at the guest spot here. i finished up my Q&A just before you. it was quite hard remembering all the things i did but it was great fun. hope it all goes well for you too...

first i wanted to tell you that i enjoy listening to your work. nice to hear other people doing creative mixing and apporoach. i couldn't resist posting something on this thread. during my Q&A, i've made it quite clear that i'm not the biggest fan of mixing ITB. i'm wondering if jules filtered out some of the negative responses to my posts? (never would edit a guests posts! - Jules heh )i was suprised (as other people) that you're mixing primarily ITB. i've not been able to embrace the technology, sound or ergonmics of DAW's. i'm still doing about 75% of my tracking/mixing from and to tape. i know a lot of veteran engineer/producers that have gone completely DAW and to me it seemed like more convenience than preference. i see that you've got all the latest and greatest plug-ins and such but i still don't know how you could completely abandon the analog desk and outboard? i could just be completely ignorant because of my limited experience, but i'm curious to know your views from one experienced engineer to another.

--has the transition been a combination of convenience, budget and because you love the sound, editing and manipulation possibilities? or is it because you just want to try something new and nothing technically related at all?

--since you've had so much exposure to the best gear in the world, do you feel your DAW system and mixing ITB compromises depth and warmth as compared to an analog desk and outboard? or do you feel you can generally achieve the same results and all things are equal?

--what convertors and clocking do you prefer? i guess you're using less D/A these days but nonetheless, what's your preferences?

-- and what's your take on the fader at "0" equals optimum resolution theory. it's an issue that is not mentioned much and i'm wondering how much of that is a factor ITB. what's your thoughts?
Quote:
("curve dominant" sent me this email in response to this---"This was an issue when the old PT Mix systems' internal processing operated at 24-bit fixed-point math. In those systems, reducing the fader level would indeed degrade the audio on that channel to an extent. Since the introduction of 48-bit fixed point internal math processing, and the dithered mixer, this is no longer an issue.") thanks eric!

all the best
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
no ssl yet / So much gear, so little time!
9
no ssl yet / So much gear, so little time!
1
Robot Vomit / So much gear, so little time!
2
Mike Jasper / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump