The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mojave Microphone
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Head

Mojave Microphone

Dear Sylvia,

Thank you for doing this, lots of great information!

I saw on your website that you like the Mojave M-200 (I think it's now the MA-200)

"If you don't have a Telefunken U47 in your mic cabinet, try one of these great mics on your vocals."

Would like to care to elaborate on that? Do you ever use it yourself, on vocals even? I'd be able to afford one of them main use would be vocals but would obviously try it on acoustic instruments too if I had it.

Thank you!
Old 16th February 2014
Radiant Being

I love the Mojave MA-200 and use it on vocals all the time. I own a beautiful classic Telefunken U47 which unfortunately has a chronic connector problem, so although I would reach for the U47 first, I'm often using the Mojave as back-up. No problem.

On a recent Sublime session my U47 was on the blink and we wound up using the Mojave MA-200. The singer, Rome, immediately went out and bought one.

The Telefunken has a wooly, somewhat grainy sound, warm and round and not too crisp. The Mojave has a similar body and warm breath without the stinging top end that I hate in most modern reproductions. I've bought and sold many of the newer boutique mics, and have tried dozens of them in studio "shootouts" over the years. The Mojave is one of the nicest most versatile mics you can have in your collection. I suggest buying a pair and using them for overheads, vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, piano, Leslie cabinets, etc.

http://www.mojaveaudio.com/

Mojave Microphone-mojave.jpg
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I've got one, and I like it with an Avedis MA5 pre, but a lot of people seem to find it has too much sizzle up top.

When you are tracking vox with the MA-200, may I ask what pre(s) you are using with it?

Thanks!
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Addict

I totally agree. I love my MA200! What a great mic!
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Head

OMG Yay! you answered my question! Thanks so much.

So that's it then, I'm going to order an MA200, return it if I don't like it but the way you describe it sounds like what I'm after. It was the top end I was worrying about.

By the way, love your website and all your other creative undertakings. I always think Euros when I see Dollar amounts but the exchange rate being as it is your prices are well reasonable, so hopefully finances will allow me to budget for that this year.

Cheers!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search