The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prince and the NPG - Diamonds and pearls
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Prince and the NPG - Diamonds and pearls

Hey Sylvia,

I was wondering if you would share with us some interesting highlights about the recording and/or mixing process of this great record.

Just anything you remember and is worth typing shall suffice, but I'm really curious about the NPG recording sessions.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos
Old 16th February 2014
Radiant Being

During the "Diamonds And Pearls" sessions, I often had extra instruments lying around in the studio in case Prince wanted to try them. One was a Yamaha Gemini II acoustic guitar that I had bought at Guitar Center on sale for $200. A nice sounding guitar but nothing too extraordinary. He used it on many tracks on Diamonds And Pearls. "Walk Don't Walk" has the Gemini as the main instrument. At the end of that week of sessions I saw him having my guitar packed up in his roadcase. I had to put a stop to that!!!! Anyways, I wrote an article for Mix Magazine about Prince and the Gemini II. You can read the whole story here:

Sylvia Massy Mix Magazine Gear Stories

Look down the page for: "MIX MAGAZINE 'GEAR STORIES' – PRINCE CHAIR ARTICLE".

Yes, some day I outta write a book!
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

That was a great read Silvia. Thanks!

Looking forward for the book
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search