The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mentor
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Addict

Mentor

Sylvia,

Did you have a mentor, or engineer you spent time with at any point in your career that shaped your success or style?

Have you brought others with you into the studio to mentor them? If so, any notable names?
Old 4th February 2014
Radiant Being

NARAS P&E Wing Director Maureen Droney was a huge inspiration. Back when I was a puppy she and Leslie Ann Jones showed me that I could be a great engineer, and the fact that I was a girl had nothing to do with it. Maroon 5 / Faith No More producer Matt Wallace inspired me to think outside of the box. He was the first engineer I assisted, and I fell asleep during that first long late-night session. He has not let me forget it to this very day. As the assistant to Dave Pensado, Dave Bianco, Michael Brauer, Keith Cohen, and Tom Lord-Alge, I learned how to pace myself and work within time constraints. Prince taught me patience and how to stay on my toes. Rick Rubin is my true hero. I learned how to love producing music through him. He taught me how to listen.

In an effort to give back, I have mentored many young engineers, and helped them learn the craft. Some notables are recognizable names: Nick Raskulinecz, Rich Veltrop, Todd Montfalcone, Lori Castro, Ulrich Wild, Jared Scott. You can see a page set up to acknowledge all the interns and engineers I've taken under my wings:
Sylvia Massy Alumni

People who love production and relentlessly work towards their dreams have a good chance of turning it into a rewarding lifestyle.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear nut

You have managed to get mentorship from some of the most talented individuals in the music industry.

What advice would you give to someone who is looking for mentorship?

I have already graduated from school, interned, and assisted at a mid size commercial facility.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search