The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi Kittens, I'm Sylvia Massy. Mee-frickin-oww!
Old 30th January 2014
Radiant Being

Hi Kittens, I'm Sylvia Massy. Mee-frickin-oww!

Hey All,

Sylvia here, just returning to earth from the frozen planet called Toronto, in the galaxy of Canadia-eh. Great session, mixing on a lovely SSL Duality at Phase One Studios. Even though it plugs in a regular wall outlet (so pedestrian) I think I actually love that board!

Mmmm, a bit wiped out after the long flight, but thankfully I'm absolutely STOKED to get to do this Q&A here with all you like-minded gear critters! I'll answer a few tonight before I put myself to bed and count wooly analog pre-amps until I fall asleep.

So then, see ya' all in the morning, eh? I mean, right?
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

Thanks for doing this! We're lucky to have you here.
Old 30th January 2014
Welcome back!
Old 31st January 2014
Hey Sykvia,

Great to have you here!

Funny you should talk about the Duality, as I was just curious about that board. Many people still seem to prefer older series like the 4K for heavier, rock stuff. But you, apparently, are loving the board? So for instance if you had the money to buy an SSL 4K or a Duality, would you pick the Duality over the 4K? The Duality probably doesn't have that classic 4K crunch as much , but it's modern, less power consuming, and not as prone to give up on you in a long time. What are some things you love about the Duality, and what are you missing? Can be sound-wise as well of course. Also, have you every worked on an AWS?

Enjoy your stay!
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMassy View Post
Hey All,

Sylvia here, just returning to earth from the frozen planet called Toronto, in the galaxy of Canadia-eh. Great session, mixing on a lovely SSL Duality at Phase One Studios. Even though it plugs in a regular wall outlet (so pedestrian) I think I actually love that board!

Mmmm, a bit wiped out after the long flight, but thankfully I'm absolutely STOKED to get to do this Q&A here with all you like-minded gear critters! I'll answer a few tonight before I put myself to bed and count wooly analog pre-amps until I fall asleep.

Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Sylvia,

Sorry I missed your "grand opening" here at GS......... I knew your were a gear freak - but didn't realize you were a gearslutz as well......

I guess I should come out of the construction cave a little more often to see what's happening in the rest of this world........

Welcome and enjoy..........

Rod
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Silvia, just read your first answers.

We're here for a treat, guys!

Thanks a lot for doing this again.

Carlos
Old 31st January 2014
Thanks for agreeing to do this and thanks to Gearslutz moderator George Necola for making the invitation!
Old 31st January 2014
Indeed - welcome Sylvia - speaking as a Canadian (expat), you've nailed the lingo, eh?

Thanks for hanging out with us!
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Guru

I'm just an old alley cat, but a Big Hi Howdy and Welcome!
Old 31st January 2014
Wow, what a delight to have you here, welcome!
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward to hearing about you. I'm a big fan. Thanks for joining us!
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing this -- I'm still in Toronto and it's still COLD!!!!
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Addict

I just wanted to say that I LOVE YOU SYLVIA!
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Hugs from London UK !!
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

From one Syl to another (i'm a Syl too - a Mr Sylvester from the land down under) - I just wanna high five you for your participation. You're living the dream, and i'm hanging off every word you say! Very few of us get to dwell in the pinnacle of talent you've experienced, but I live in vicarious envy of your skills.

Syl's rule!!!
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Sylvia! Thanks for your presence and sharing all your deepest darkest trade secrets with us at GS!
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for spending some time with us.
So far every post has been an insightful joy!
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Addict

Meoow
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Sylvia.

Nice to have you here. Thanks for taking the time.
Some really good discussion going on the past few days.
Old 8th February 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMassy View Post
Hey All,

Montréal here, in the snow, the SSL Duality is too cold for our winter...Studio 270 bought an API Legacy to keep us warm
Old 10th February 2014
I can only say, this Q&A was awsome! Lots of great info and a very fun writing style, VERY detailed drawings, etc. Thank you Sylvia Massey AND Gearslutz!
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Greetings from the frozen north: you are certainly correct, its been one of the coldest winters in the GTA - ever! Speaking as an ex-pat Yukoner, this has been the toughest, longest winter to date in this area...

In any case, a warm welcome here at GS - your earlier post in "What do you do as a Producer" thread stands amongst the most informative and spot-on replies from any guest moderator to date on GS. Bravo.

I look forward to any and all other insights you provide during your tenure here.

cheers,
Old 24th February 2014
Sylvia, you have obviously taken a lot of time to seriously answer our questions. Many producers in the spotlight don't seem to have / make the time to provide serious explanations. You seem to have carefully and thoughtfully focused on every topic thrown at you. We all really appreciate this so much.

Thanks for hanging out w/ us.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions and providing the wealth of education you have to all of us!
Old 6th March 2014
Radiant Being

You guyz frickin RULE!!!!!!!

I LOVE Gearslutz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XXXOOO

-S
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

A Radient Being in our midst! Thanks!
Old 6th March 2014
Thanks very much for hanging with us and sharing so kindly.

We will save this Q & A in our archives so people can continue to learn from it.

We hope you drop in on us in the open forums from time to time.

Happy trails.

All the very best,

Jules
Gearslutz admin
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search