The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your opinion about mastering Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Addict

Your opinion about mastering

Hello Sylvia,

As my actual core business is becaoming mastering, I would ask you an opinion about that, taking into account your great experience as engineer, mixer and producer too: when you go through mastering what's the most important thing you look for choosing ME and studio?

Thanks a lot for your answer and the time you're spending in this interesting (...for us...) activity!

Gianni
Old 2nd February 2014
Radiant Being

Beware of mastering engineers who are just frustrated recording engineers! They insist on putting their sticky fingerprints all over your carefully polished mixes, often gumming it up with too much EQ and compression. Or worse yet, they sausage your mixes through their standard settings without listening for what the track really needs!

I don't leave much for the mastering engineer to screw up. I finish the overall EQ on my mixes by running them through a GML 8200 for a bit of pre-mastering detail. I also usually use a stereo compressor, a Neve 2254, Fairchild 670 or Alan Smart C2. I like to have the mix leave my studio as close to absolutely complete as possible, so it will compare to any commercial release it may be played against, even before mastering.

I had a well-known L.A. mastering engineer argue with me on the mastering of a guitar heavy track. The mix sounded big and ballsy with a nice crunch when it left my studio. But what I got back from his mastering was unlistenable, harsh and thin! He said: "This is what I always do to rock guitars". I knew I was dealing with an cretin. Last time I ever went to that mastering house!

The magic of a guy like Bob Ludwig is that he won't attempt to fix what isn't broken.
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for taking the time Sylvia!

What's your take on loudness?
A.
Old 3rd February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMassy View Post
Beware of mastering engineers who are just frustrated recording engineers! They insist on putting their sticky fingerprints all over your carefully polished mixes, often gumming it up with too much EQ and compression. Or worse yet, they sausage your mixes through their standard settings without listening for what the track really needs!

I don't leave much for the mastering engineer to screw up. I finish the overall EQ on my mixes by running them through a GML 8200 for a bit of pre-mastering detail. I also usually use a stereo compressor, a Neve 2254, Fairchild 670 or Alan Smart C2. I like to have the mix leave my studio as close to absolutely complete as possible, so it will compare to any commercial release it may be played against, even before mastering.

I had a well-known L.A. mastering engineer argue with me on the mastering of a guitar heavy track. The mix sounded big and ballsy with a nice crunch when it left my studio. But what I got back from his mastering was unlistenable, harsh and thin! He said: "This is what I always do to rock guitars". I knew I was dealing with an cretin. Last time I ever went to that mastering house!

The magic of a guy like Bob Ludwig is that he won't attempt to fix what isn't broken.
Great To have you here, really! May I ask you if you ever use more than one compressor on your mixbuss or you think one comp is more than enough?

Thanks
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search