The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snare reamp trick
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Nut

Snare reamp trick

Hi Sylvia

I would like to know a little bit more about the specific details of the snare reamp technique hitting the snare with the sound coming from the speaker.

Regarding microphone placement, how do you put your room microphones using this technique? I saw people like Cenzo Townshend puting a pair of condenser microphones high in the ceiling pointing to the kit using this kind of trick.
How are your choices regarding microphones and placements for this task?

Thanks!!

View most liked answer
Old 31st July 2016
Radiant Being

Snare Re-Amp Room

When I do a snare re-amp, the room mics are placed depending on the size and type of room. Generally I will choose mics and techniques similar to how I would place room mics on the initial recording of a drum kit. A good reference might be the placement and measurements for the Bonham drum sound. Paul Wolff turned me onto this technique. I drew the diagram below for the Recording Unhinged book.

When Matt Wallace first showed me the snare re-amp technique, he had placed the PA speaker and snare in an old echo chamber at Bear West Studios in San Francisco. The chamber was narrow and tall and was painted with a very thick, glossy paint that was acoustically very reflective. I think he had a pair of pencil mics, maybe KM54s, pointed at the snare in an XY position.

I'd like to try doing a snare re-amp in a bright room with an M/S miking technique. I just haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. Because snare re-amping is usually done to repair a problem with the original snare recording, hopefully I won't need to try it. Recording a great live sound in a good room to begin with is always a better option!
Attached Thumbnails
Snare reamp trick-fig06-34-copy.jpg  
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

Can I just check... what does the 2/3 measurement refer to?
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMassy View Post
When I do a snare re-amp, the room mics are placed depending on the size and type of room. Generally I will choose mics and techniques similar to how I would place room mics on the initial recording of a drum kit. A good reference might be the placement and measurements for the Bonham drum sound. Paul Wolff turned me onto this technique. I drew the diagram below for the Recording Unhinged book.

When Matt Wallace first showed me the snare re-amp technique, he had placed the PA speaker and snare in an old echo chamber at Bear West Studios in San Francisco. The chamber was narrow and tall and was painted with a very thick, glossy paint that was acoustically very reflective. I think he had a pair of pencil mics, maybe KM54s, pointed at the snare in an XY position.

I'd like to try doing a snare re-amp in a bright room with an M/S miking technique. I just haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. Because snare re-amping is usually done to repair a problem with the original snare recording, hopefully I won't need to try it. Recording a great live sound in a good room to begin with is always a better option!
that's really cool! are you playing back the full range sound of the existing snare through the speaker and then having that excite a new snare drum? if so, how is the drum placed relative to the speaker? would it be like firing up at the new snare drum? or am I misunderstanding it and you just playing back the old snare into the room and mic'ing the room itself? thx
Old 2nd August 2016
Radiant Being

More About Re-Amping Snare and Drum Placement

Most of the time when re-amping I will send the full-frequency snare track through a PA to excite a live snare that is actually gaffer taped to the PA speaker. Here is the thread that fully describes the technique:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sy...l#post12043000

You'll see a diagram of how the speaker and snare are set up.

On the Bonham diagram earlier in this thread, "2/3" refers to the placement of the drum kit in the room. Whatever sized room you are working in, the kit should be placed 2/3rds down the length of the space.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search