The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Secret Sauce
Old 25th July 2016
Secret Sauce

Hi Sylvia!

Beautiful name by the way! That's also my mother's name too! I saw your diagram regarding the secret sauce! I know you don't want to reveal it but despite that I wanted to ask what's your second seasoning that you sprinkle unto your mix?> I respect every producer's magic but I'm also interested in learning as we will pass what we have learned to the future generation of producers.

As a mbr of Gearslutz, I'm graced by your presence and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining us here.!

Thank you!

Max
Old 6th August 2016
Radiant Being

Today's Secret Sauce

Aaaah, the secret sauce. It changes from time to time, but lately it is this:

A pair of Western Electric 111c passive transformers on the stereo bus ~~~

Slap those suckers across your mix!

A friend named Devin Powers sent me the unit pictured below. He started using passive transformers on his mixes and his idea has caught on with several Los Angeles mixers, including Ross Hogarth. Ross turned me on to the technique while I was doing research for the Recording Unhinged book.

You can find a your own pair on eBay and try this too. The Western Electrics are great, but RCA, Malotke and UTC have made similar transformers. I'm sure there are also European equivalents. These are passive audio transformers that were often used in telephone operations. They are usually wired 1:1 but if you go in the 160 ohm terminals and out the 50 ohm terminals it will give your mix a ballsy saturation that is very exciting. Pumps up the sound of your mix!
Attached Thumbnails
Secret Sauce-img_3383.jpg   Secret Sauce-fig13-12.jpg  
Old 6th August 2016
Thanks for sharing Sylvia!

I'm always impressed in the way technology designed for a specific function ends up being utilized in music recording.
Old 6th August 2016

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search