The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RadioStar - LIVE LOUD
Old 22nd July 2016
Radiant Being

RadioStar - LIVE LOUD

Life is like a sine-wave. If you are making noise, you are going to get some highs and lows. And if the noise is LOUD, the greater the amplitude, the higher the crest, and the deeper the trough.
Thanks for asking the question "What happened to RadioStar?"

Here is a summary:
We had a successful 5-room recording studio in Weed, California for ten years.
We put on an awesome festival to celebrate a decade of the studio’s success.
Some small-minded people in the little town got jealous.
We put on a second festival. The small-minders got in the way and it was a financial disaster (even with 5000 attending).
Within months my life collapsed, marriage ended, studio closed, sold most everything to survive.
The small-minders celebrated!
I was forced to look inward to discover what is truly important. The answer is art.
I moved to Oregon and brought with me the Neve 8038 console.
I sued the small-minders and won a big fat settlement for them ruining the festival.
The settlement allowed me the financial freedom to take a year off to write a book.
Today I happily continue with music production but have learned that ART is truly what I love. And art takes many forms. It can be music, painting, dance, cooking, writing, inventing, film, gardening, fashion. I immerse myself in all of it. Every day. That is what matters. To live art as a 24x7 lifestyle.

RadioStar Studios was a very special place, a gift, starting with one studio in 2001 in an old haunted vaudevillian theater, eventually growing to FIVE busy studios in a sprawling multi-building facility in downtown Weed, California, population 3000. We not only had installed the classic Neve 8038 console that I brought up from Sound City, but we also had an SSL J-9080 and a Trident 80-Series console, with a huge collection of rack gear, guitars and amps, synths and organs. People came from the far reaches of the globe to record, from New Zealand, Israel, Columbia, South Africa, Norway, Australia, Spain, Japan, as well as every state in the US. We had apartments and a community kitchen for our visiting clients. It was truly tragic to shut it down, but divorce and festival fallout pushed me to sell the buildings and move.

Most of the studio equipment was sold, including the SSL J-Series console and my Fairchild 670, Arp 2600, Chamberlin, Mellotron, Trident 80-Series, but I saved my wonderful Neve and many other choice items. Today they are cranking away in their new home in idyllic Ashland, Oregon. Still open room recording like RadioStar’s old theater, except now in an old church with windows overlooking a lush green park. The sounds and the vibe of the new place are better than ever! In fact everything is better now! Ashland is only 50 miles up the road from Weed, but a WORLD away from that dusty little one-horse town. Ashland is full of galleries, restaurants and clubs, carried in by Los Angeles and San Francisco transplants. There is a world-renowned Shakespeare Festival here, and tons of musicians, artists and progressive thinkers. I really feel like I belong here. And it is alive with color and excitement, with none of the small-townie activists bent on maintaining the status quo, mistrusting anyone with new ideas.

Perhaps more importantly than rebuilding the music production business, I have re-discovered my passion for illustration and painting, which has been dormant since my teens. The book "Recording Unhinged" is the first attempt at expressing my life through art - through describing studio life and the fun we all have recording music. And this is only the beginning. Several new art opportunities have come up recently that will be transformational!

I have to take a moment to really think about all of this, as my sine-wave cycles back towards it’s next crest. If it wasn’t for the small-minded troublemakers in Weed, I would not have re-discovered the artist within myself. I would not have had the opportunity to write this book, “Recording Unhinged”. I would not have dug down to my foundations and rebuilt myself, brick by brick to the person I am today. So yes, I regret the loss of a big piece of my life, as any of us would. But I am extremely excited about the future. Perhaps “regret” is even the wrong word. I “celebrate” what RadioStar was and how it’s story brings me here now. RadioStar just needed to get out of the way so that I could really “LIVE LOUD!”
Attached Thumbnails
RadioStar - LIVE LOUD-05-theater.jpg   RadioStar - LIVE LOUD-01-studiofacilityr-072ea449a3.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMassy View Post
The small-minders celebrated!
How thoughtful!

Sorry to hear about your recent difficulties Sylvia, and congrats on making the most of a difficult situation.
Old 23rd July 2016
daf
Here for the gear

Circles within circles

That's great Sylvia, being brave is where its at.

I started out as a painter, got into music and recording (40+ years) as I found it
a faster form of expressionism. You know fairly quickly whether you have crap or not.

Expression is expression its not either or, obsession on the other hand I find a difficult thing to find balance (is it the only way to go soul mining?).

I'm glad you have found kindred spirits in your new abode.

Travel well

daf williams
Old 23rd July 2016
Lives for gear

I was at the second TapeOpCon and met a woman who worked for you, shortly after you bought the theater (I might still have the business card somewhere). She was excited and spoke of the magic of the place. I'm sorry to hear that you were forced to leave, but am glad to hear that you are still at it, persevering and making art. Viva La Sylvia!
Old 23rd July 2016
Gear Addict

I am so happy for you Sylvia. Life wins, everytime !
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Well done for bouncing back, finding the positive steam for taking it to the next level Sylvia. Happy trails and best wishes in all the forthcoming projects. Reading your book now and it's a corker!
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Head

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search