The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Unhinged artwork
Old 21st July 2016
Recording Unhinged artwork

Sylvia, I love your art work in Recording Unhinged. Just wondering what kind of gear you use for your drawings? Ink? Markers? And is the book hand painted? Lots of fun in those drawings and love how you share your inventive approach to recording.

View most liked answer
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Addict

The illustrations have a Robert Crumb feel to them, very cool!
Old 23rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, right between R. Crumb and Gilbert Shelton. Nice work!
Old 25th July 2016
Radiant Being

Drawing "Recording Unhinged"

Thank you so much for asking about the book illustrations! I spent many stoned teenage hours enjoying "Zippy The Pinhead" and "Fat Freddy's Cat" by Gilbert Sheldon... and R. Crumb, well that guy is a frickin' hero to me. And I'll always be fascinated with the imagination of Dr.Seuss.

My partner and I, Chris Johnson, are both Trailer Park Boys fans. TPB is a silly "docu-drama" on Netflix about a bumbling trio of Canadian mis-fit stoners. Chris and I decided to make a fan poster in the style of "Where's Waldo" to send to the show, just for fun. It came out so good that it empowered me to try other things.

I start with a pencil on paper, the old fashioned way, inking in the image with sharpies after I get it laid out. After erasing all the pencil hatch, Chris scans it and colors it in Photoshop. The world of computer art is new to me so the "analog/digital" hybrid is my way of operating for now. Spending more time illustrating now than I have for the last 25 years has made me the happiest I've ever been.

It was here on my first Gearslutz Q+A that I started drawing diagrams in the cartoonish style. This directly led to several of the images in the Recording Unhinged book. In the book, Chris and I worked together on most of the concepts, gags and "easter eggs" that you'll see in the more detailed panels.

Stay tuned for several other art projects we are working on, spawned from the Recording Unhinged book, which may include trading cards, coloring books and hopefully Recording Unhinged Part II. I'm also working on a separate series of illustrated portrait galleries, including "Great Inventors", Great Scientists" and "Great Industrialists." These are more serious projects, because I want to give school kids something fun to learn with.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Unhinged artwork-sunnyvalecolor8.jpg   Recording Unhinged artwork-img_3271.jpg  
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Wow. 20/10 on that TPB Poster!
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search