The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
green jello!
Old 21st July 2016
Lives for gear

green jello!

not a question...but damn....you did green jello's record! i loved those guys.

marty

View most liked answer
Old 7th August 2016
Radiant Being

Before Green Jello Became Green Jelly

When I first moved to LA, I took a job at Tower Records in West Hollywood for a while. Bill Manspeaker and Bill Tutton also worked there. They had just moved from Buffalo, New York, and had this comedy band that performed rock versions of nursery rhymes while dancing around in ridiculous costumes on stage. I love musicians with a sense of humor, and arranged to record them on a friend's 8-track. It came out so funny and good that they got a deal with Zoo Records.

We set out to record the album "Cereal Killer" at Sound City with two drummers, one of which was Danny Carey who had another band called Tool. Zoo Records had also inked a deal with Tool, so to save the budget we tracked the drums for the first Tool record "Opiate" at the same time since all the mics were set up. The Tool guys were hanging around on the Jello sessions, and you'll hear Maynard James Keenan singing on the Green Jello hit "Three Little Pigs". He is the high voice that sings, "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!"

On occasion I would perform on stage with Green Jello when they played the song "Food Fight". This is when a half-dozen people dressed as different food items would storm the stage and start fighting. There was a french fry, a chicken drumstick, a pack of juicy fruit. I was usually a piece of pizza.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search