The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LCR Mixing
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

LCR Mixing

Dear Sylvia,

on your first Gearslutz Q+A you mentioned how Rick Rubin requested a dry upfront vocal and most everything else hard-panned. Reading this was a major reason for me to go LCR, it was like a final confirmation after realizing how many classic albums were mixed that way.

Are there elements in a mix that you usuallay don't pan LCR? Are there bands or producers that request a different panning approach and/or is this ever a point of discussion in your work?

Thanks so much!

Andi

View most liked answer
Old 25th July 2016
Radiant Being

LCR Strategies

I guess I'm lucky in the sense that for the last 20 years I've been tracking and mixing on a console that only gave me L-C-R in the monitor section. My old Neve 8038 has been modified to allow for panning in the expanded mixing mode, but the hard choice of Left, Center, or Right was imprinted into my work flow.

There are a few things that I will place in those spaces between the center and hard left or right. Hi-hat I will usually place just off-center to the left. Toms I will often narrow the span from high to low so the power of the drums is mostly coming from the center.

A single acoustic guitar and vocal together could typically sit in the center of the audio picture, but I might offset the acoustic to let it come out from behind the vocals a bit.

I might fill in those middle spaces more dense and busier mixes, but usually with more airy sounds, keeping the power and punch coming from the center and far panning positions. I have enjoyed using 3-dimensional processors to throw sound behind the listeners head too. On Tool's "Opiate" there is the sound of a phone ringing on the behind right side of the mix during a drums solo. Hah!
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search