The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One More Chance...
Old 5th March 2009
Gear addict

One More Chance...

Tony,

Your story about the "One More Chance" record was amazing. You stated you spent 2 weeks mixing the record, before Biggie laid down his vocals (unless I misread your post). Can you you describe the challenges of mixing the Instrumental, and then how much time was spent mixing the record after the vocals were laid. Have you witnessed what happens when this record comes on in the Club (to this day)...

Finally, when you mixed 1 Thing (which I think was a Meters Loop... might be wrong, could've been Crazy In Love), What was your approach to processing the Drums...

Jay
Old 10th March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta View Post
Tony,

Your story about the "One More Chance" record was amazing. You stated you spent 2 weeks mixing the record, before Biggie laid down his vocals (unless I misread your post). Can you you describe the challenges of mixing the Instrumental, and then how much time was spent mixing the record after the vocals were laid. Have you witnessed what happens when this record comes on in the Club (to this day)...

Finally, when you mixed 1 Thing (which I think was a Meters Loop... might be wrong, could've been Crazy In Love), What was your approach to processing the Drums...

Jay
Dear Jay,
The "One More Chance" record was actually a complete remix/redo from the album version. Most of those two weeks went into the production of the remix. All new vocals and a completely new track were created by Puffy and Biggie. So during that period, there'd be times when Big would ask me to play and replay the track. But when he was ready to hit the mic, it was on.

"1 Thing" drums; as with any song with a sample of drums in it. The additional overlay drums need to sound like they belong in the loop. So, essentially the loop prevails as the dominant sonic character. The rest of my drums and in the case of "Crazy in Love" have to match that vibe. Including sometimes the vocals.

Hope that helps,
t
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search