The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
finding a balance in it all - work and play
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Head

finding a balance in it all - work and play

Hi Mr. Maserati, thank you for taking the time to be with us.

I'd like to know your thoughts on how you perceive your work as a mixing engineer relates to the rest of your life.

I find it difficult to not allow the "culture" of my work to influence the rest of my life. It's very easy to get caught up with the work and the pace and the clients and the scene, and allow marriage and friends and home to take a backseat to the work.

What role does your work as an engineer play in the grand scheme of things for you? Are you an engineer who loves to xyz, or an xyz who happens to engineer? What boundaries do you find necessary to draw between your work and your life to maintain a healthy balance?

Do you have other passions in life that you find inform your mixes, or the way you relate to clients? Are there other fields of the arts that you like or love? does fashion or visual art spark creativity for you?

I apologize for the redundant nature of my question, I'm trying to get a grasp on many of these things for myself, and am finding myself fleshing out my ideas as I type.

Bottom line: Is Tony Maserati a Renaissance man?

Thank for your consideration sir.

-David Kuwabara
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Family life ...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for being here.

How do you fit all this with family life ? (Kids/Wife/Ex wife/Mistress Etc.

Do you work crazy hours or 'just' take it easy and do 8 hours a day ?

My second wife is a lot more understanding heh...

Cheers

Mac
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Excellent Question...work/life balance.
Please, hints would be most welcome!
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Smile What do you do to relax when your away from work?

What do you do to relax when your away from work?

I guess you spend far to much time in the studio....

How do you balance this work lifestyle?

Golf?
Holidays?
Reading?

just curious...

Cheers...
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrade View Post
Hi Mr. Maserati, thank you for taking the time to be with us.

I'd like to know your thoughts on how you perceive your work as a mixing engineer relates to the rest of your life.

I find it difficult to not allow the "culture" of my work to influence the rest of my life. It's very easy to get caught up with the work and the pace and the clients and the scene, and allow marriage and friends and home to take a backseat to the work.

What role does your work as an engineer play in the grand scheme of things for you? Are you an engineer who loves to xyz, or an xyz who happens to engineer? What boundaries do you find necessary to draw between your work and your life to maintain a healthy balance?

Do you have other passions in life that you find inform your mixes, or the way you relate to clients? Are there other fields of the arts that you like or love? does fashion or visual art spark creativity for you?

I apologize for the redundant nature of my question, I'm trying to get a grasp on many of these things for myself, and am finding myself fleshing out my ideas as I type.

Bottom line: Is Tony Maserati a Renaissance man?

Thank for your consideration sir.

-David Kuwabara

Dear David,
I'm sorry to say, I haven't been able to get a handle on 'regular' life. My girlfriend is always frustrated by my lack of abiltiy to 'book' a vacation or weekend. I recently had a ski weekend planned and had to take slices of the front and back end of the trip to finish a mix. I don't know anyone who has got it together, cept maybe Andy Wallace. I hear he's got a good schedule worked out. (though I've been so busy, I haven't had time to ask him personally what he's doing)....

It's really a sore subject with me, cuz I'd love to have a more ballanced life. Soon as ya try tho, a gig comes in you can't really turn down, or a bill comes in you've gotta pay off...

It ain't easy man, buy lots of flowers and find a partner who likes to read...

sorry folks,
t
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search