The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting Started in the Business
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

getting to the place you are.

hey tony,

Could you tell us the route you took to getting where you are today?
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

Getting Started in the Business

Mr. Maserati, my name is Matt and I just finished up college and I'm in the process of looking for a job. I was interested in hearing a little bit about how you got started in the music business and a few important lessons you have learned along the way. It's always fascinating for me to hear how different engineers and producers get started.

Any other advise you have on getting started would be appreciated. I just finished watching the videos on the Waves website talking about your new plugins and you had a lot of great things to say, very helpful! Thanks.
Old 28th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Mr. Maserati, my name is Matt and I just finished up college and I'm in the process of looking for a job. I was interested in hearing a little bit about how you got started in the music business and a few important lessons you have learned along the way. It's always fascinating for me to hear how different engineers and producers get started.

Any other advise you have on getting started would be appreciated. I just finished watching the videos on the Waves website talking about your new plugins and you had a lot of great things to say, very helpful! Thanks.
+1 except I'm haven't finished school yet.
Old 28th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
hey tony,

Could you tell us the route you took to getting where you are today?
Hey Rhythmtech, (nice handle btw)

I started doing live sound in the Boston area while attending Northeastern University and later Berklee College of Music. From there moved to New York City (after being fired from a local band because I said they sucked)

After moving to NYC and getting a job at Sigma Sound, my start was typical of many guys back in the mid eighties early nineties... we were 'runners', 'teaboys', 'general assistants' etc... at major facilities and worked our way up the ranks from there to 'house engineers'.

I made a point of getting my name out to all the local studio managers and told them to hire me if they ever needed an engineer. I also embraced the new technology of the day (in those days MIDI and electronic synthisis), where not many of my contemporaries did. That gave me an edge and made me different than the 'purest' recordists around me.

Clients came to me because I knew how to use drum machines, the lastest consoles, MIDI implementation, and could also record. Basically, I made myself indespensable.

Hope that helps,
t
Old 28th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post

Hey Matt,
Well, including the info I posted to Rhythmtech (above), I'd say, look for your windows. They'll open for you and you've got to be ready to jump thru. That means practice your 'art' and study everything that enthralls you. If you do that, you'll know which window is for you and which window to let close behind you.

Good luck,
t
Old 28th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Maserati View Post
Hey Rhythmtech, (nice handle btw)

I started doing live sound in the Boston area while attending Northeastern University and later Berklee College of Music. From there moved to New York City (after being fired from a local band because I said they sucked)

After moving to NYC and getting a job at Sigma Sound, my start was typical of many guys back in the mid eighties early nineties... we were 'runners', 'teaboys', 'general assistants' etc... at major facilities and worked our way up the ranks from there to 'house engineers'.

I made a point of getting my name out to all the local studio managers and told them to hire me if they ever needed an engineer. I also embraced the new technology of the day (in those days MIDI and electronic synthisis), where not many of my contemporaries did. That gave me an edge and made me different than the 'purest' recordists around me.

Clients came to me because I knew how to use drum machines, the lastest consoles, MIDI implementation, and could also record. Basically, I made myself indespensable.

Hope that helps,
t
cheers for that, different times back then (although coincidently i get a lot of my clients thru the fact that i can program aswell [been releasing techno a number of years now].. maybe waves should do a rhythmtech bundle )

thanks again
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search