The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
On the subject of autotune
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

On the subject of autotune

Where do you stand on it's use, how often do you use it, and how much of an aid is it in your work now?
Old 27th February 2009
I'm definitely interested to hear your view on it as well, do you need to apply a lot of autotune on the artists you mix or are the tracks well recorded from the start?
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I'm definitely interested to hear your view on it as well, do you need to apply a lot of autotune on the artists you mix or are the tracks well recorded from the start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
Where do you stand on it's use, how often do you use it, and how much of an aid is it in your work now?

Hey Guys,
It depends what the intention is; creatively. Meaning if the producer is interested in using autotune (or melodyne) as a trick effect or hooky sound for the song, that's a choice he's made; i.e. Lil Wayne, Kanye. In those cases the producer most likely adds it him/herself. And I mix the track they send.

If I'm sent a vocal that mostly well performed and has a couple spots that needs attention, I'll do that myself. I have been sent vocals that were so bad they were in a different key, those i send back to the producer to hire someone to tune for a couple days or the vocalist to re-sing.

I don't think we need to make comments about the aesthetics, regarding the use of autotune. As far as I'm conserned if it's used as a trick or hook, it's no different than a choice of instrument. If it's used to make a bad singer sound better; that's just our business fella's, get used to it. There's smoke and mirror's happening all over the charts in every catagory!

t
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Agreed totally bout it just being the way things are. Thanks so much for the comment!
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Maserati View Post
There's smoke and mirror's happening all over the charts in every catagory!
yessiree - tell it like it is... thumbsup
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search