The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Click track
Old 19th April 2007
Gear interested

Click track

Hi Russel,

first thank you so much for sharing all the knowledge and musical vibe. I really appreciate that. It really helped me further (technical and in music creation).
My question: Do The Roots (Ahmir) use a click track when recording?

With my actual hiphop band we record a new song (with live drummer). Now, not as usual, the drummer will come in later. So I first programmed a beat. Bass and guitar wil be performed over that. The drummer comes later. I hope that the human factor won't get lost (and the drummer can work around the beat - I may mute the programmed drums and give him a click. What he wants).
What do you suggest?

A short answer I would appreciate.

Peace

D'Andrew/ Germany
Old 4th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Andrew View Post
Hi Russel,
first thank you so much for sharing all the knowledge and musical vibe. I really appreciate that. It really helped me further (technical and in music creation).
My question: Do The Roots (Ahmir) use a click track when recording?
With my actual hiphop band we record a new song (with live drummer). Now, not as usual, the drummer will come in later. So I first programmed a beat. Bass and guitar wil be performed over that. The drummer comes later. I hope that the human factor won't get lost (and the drummer can work around the beat - I may mute the programmed drums and give him a click. What he wants).
What do you suggest? A short answer I would appreciate.
Peace D'Andrew/ Germany
hello d'andrew,

thanks for the comps heh.
i'd say 90% of the time ahmir will play to a click or he'll play to a beat he creates in the mpc. and sometimes he's playing to a loop that we're trying to recreate. i think it's perfectly okay to record the drummer last. it depends on the drummer and how able he is to play to a click. some drummers can play better without a click and others can play right on it. if the drummer is playing a constant pattern and he's not doing a lot of improvising and fills, then recording him before or after doesn't make a huge difference. but there is the interaction between the musicians that can bring nice suprises in their performances if they all play together.

all the best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search