The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gates
Old 11th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Gates

Hello Russ, do you use gates when mixing drums ?
Old 17th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroise View Post
Hello Russ, do you use gates when mixing drums ?
hey ambroise,

it depends on what i'm going for. for a song like "chicken grease" on voodoo, i gated everything to get that tight "drum machine" type of sound out of the whole kit. but a song like "the seed" on the roots "phrenology", i probably didn't gate anything to get a real open sound.

but i'll use gates for overall control over the sound as well and not just for tight gating. gates really help me to fine tune once i get the main sound going especially the snare and kick mics. i'll use them sometimes to get rid of unwanted bleeding, noise or undesirable frequencies. eg: toms ringing out and making a tone which is clashing with some notes on the guitar. the SSL 9k gates work really well for me in conjuntion with the eq/side chain filters. i like the drawmer gates as well. but as with any processing, i won't use them unless necessary.

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search