The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what does russell listen to...
Old 7th April 2007
Lives for gear

what does russell listen to...

hi russell first id like to complement you on your work and also the way you respond to the questions asked here. they are all done with a high degree of class and the answers seems to address the questions very directly and with sense that your having a face to face conversation, which is a beautiful thing.

im wondering, whats in heavy rotation in your ipod or changer,or whatever you use ?

what do you hold as top 5 or top 10 records or artists or songs?

or what do like as your reference cd's besides your own?

thank you in advance, and keep doing what you do.

neil.
Old 9th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
hi russell first id like to complement you on your work and also the way you respond to the questions asked here. they are all done with a high degree of class and the answers seems to address the questions very directly and with sense that your having a face to face conversation, which is a beautiful thing.
im wondering, whats in heavy rotation in your ipod or changer,or whatever you use ?
thank you in advance, and keep doing what you do. neil.
hello neil,

thanks very much for the comps heh!
in my cd player in my car i've got hendrix "jimi plays berkely".
and, right now as i'm writing, i'm listening to Galt MacDermot's LP "woman is sweeter" on my computer. believe it or not, i just bought my 1st ipod a couple of weeks ago. (i confess to playing a lot of ms. pac man on it ).

i bought a new car radio recently and it came with an aux input.
i was against the ipod for awhile, as they don't sound good to me and i don't really listen to music with headphones anymore. but i couldn't resist using that damn aux input staring at me all the time! it was like, "i HAVE to use that input!" i got the 30GB ipod and i keep the files in aif. i'm suprised how many songs fit even as aif files. anyway...

i don't really have things in constant rotation. i listen to different things all the time. so this is what i've listened to in the last 2 weeks: some in it's entirety, some not and no particular order...

*the roots "phrenology", "game theory"
*"voodoo" (being here on gearslutz made me listen to this..it's been some time)
*funkadelic "hardcore jollies" and "standing on the verge of getting it on"
*donald byrd "ethiopian knights"
*the mars volta "deloused in the crematorium"
*tv on the radio "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes"
*EPMD "strictly business"
*de la soul "de la soul is dead"
*red hot and riot (fela tribute w/various artists)
*amy winehouse "back to black"
*beck "odelay"
*the meters "uptown rulers" live

i'll have to think about my top 10...and refs

later
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

nice selection, donald byrd, epmd and beck are great. i'm a HUGE fela fan too... your post made me wonder if you listen to much of the stuff you worked on once its done?
Old 10th April 2007
no ssl yet
Good to know you listen to the Meters. I was just thinking that your mix style/approach on a meters/New Orleans Brass Band type record would be cool.

(I grew up in the same neighborhood as the meters. Well, clarify that I'm MUCH younger. I grew up in the neighborhood they are from. I actually grew up with Aaron and Cyril Neville's sons. So I'm MUCH younger.)

That's a cool list of music you're listening to.

I may be doing some production work with Zigaboo from the meters soon.

As much as I love the Roots, I can remember on Jazz Festival in New Orleans where the Roots were slated to perform at the same time as the meters. I had to miss the Roots. (I have a sneaky suspicion if the Roots could have left to see the meters they would have. It was the original Meters reunion and not the other incarnations that have played over the years without the original crew).

Dart Stovall
Old 10th April 2007
top artists/songs/albums...whew

hello again,
Quote:
this is a tough question man. i've got so many influences. the easiest for me would be to do top artists. could i edit the list on a daily basis ?
  1. hendrix
  2. beatles
  3. prince
  4. james brown
  5. bob marley
  6. frank zappa
  7. pink floyd
  8. parliament/funkadelic
  9. miles davis
  10. stevie wonder
  11. sly stone (and the family)
sorry i cheated...this is really hard because there's so many other big influences to mention.

my main references these days are albums i've worked on for obvious reasons. and luckily, i'm a big fan of (myself ....just kiddingheh) the albums i've done! but i used to reference some of the old classic stuff like the artists mentioned above. but this is a good topic to expand on in the voodoo mixologies thread. we like studied all the old classics like we were in school or something.

all the best
Old 11th April 2007
Gear addict

I'm getting back into the Floyd, Jimi and Led Zeppelin, the music I grew up on.

Thanks for your insight, Russ.

frank lyon

PS: I want an aux on my car stereo!
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

yeah i know that is kind of an unfair question to ask, me personally i cringe when asked to do the same,but it comes easy to others...

its funny cause everyone you have listed are cats i listen to as well,which is apropos, i suppose considering how much i like your work...

Thanks for responding and keep on keeping the dream alive....

neil.
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
hello neil,
i bought a new car radio recently and it came with an aux input.
i was against the ipod for awhile, as they don't sound good to me and i don't really listen to music with headphones anymore. but i couldn't resist using that damn aux input staring at me all the time! it was like, "i HAVE to use that input!" i got the 30GB ipod and i keep the files in aif. i'm suprised how many songs fit even as aif files. anyway...
Russ,

If you're using a Pioneer Deck you can buy an iPod adapter box that'll connect the iPod to your car stereo via it's digital/power supply output like you would you're computer. Some of the newer Pioneers decks have the adapter built in, you can connect using a proprietary cable made by pioneer (which is cheaper than the converter!). This is so you're not using the 1/8 inch converter (which I agree sounds like ass).... you'll then be using the converters of your car stereo.

That's what I do... it's saved me hundreds in blank CD-R's for referencing mixes.

Hope that helps...

here's an a link for that adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288271433
Old 13th April 2007
Gear Head

Geezes did we grow up next door to each other ??? lol man that is really close to my own list !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAter
Buzz
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search