The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Production...
Old 6th April 2007
Lives for gear

Production...

Hi Russ,

Iwan here again. I know Michael Brauer does nothing but mixing these days, but wondered if you also did production work as opposed to exclusively mixing projects.

I know there is some overlap between tracking/engineering and production but am interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 8th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Hi Russ,
Iwan here again. I know Michael Brauer does nothing but mixing these days, but wondered if you also did production work as opposed to exclusively mixing projects.
I know there is some overlap between tracking/engineering and production but am interested to hear your thoughts.
hey iwan,

yes, there is an "overlap" especially if the mixer/engineer is adding that much in the creative process. i'll sometimes ask for a co-production credit for some projects and most people feel it's fair.

i am trying to make my move more into the production side of things. i've been producing keziah jones next record with him (which is going to be great) and also producing an unsigned artist named krystle warren. i will supervise the tracking (obviously) and mix all of the things i produce. it's the natural progression for me and i have a lot of things i want to do to expand on my concepts and move into my next phase. i still want to continue mixing as my passion for it has not been quenched. the difficult part is now finding the artists to produce who will fit my musical personality...someone who knows my style...
anyone looking for an amazing producer ???

for anyone interested check "what's moving you now..." as i'll be talking about keziah and krystle there.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-russell-elevado/115527-whats-moving-you-now-russ.html

cheers
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

Smile Thanx for all!

Hello Mr Russell!

Its My right here and i've been reading almost all your thread and the ones that Gearslutz fellas have created asking you question and the only first thing i can say is: THANK YOU so so so much for taking the time to respond because its not everyday that we got the chance in real life to get to exchange with people that inspires our work daily. So for that "Hands down and Thumbs up" for the inspiration. Thank you.

I also because this thread is about Production, i would love to hear from a very respected and known Music Engineer like you, reknown all over and who have worked with so many great and big talent and artist, how does these two Status are seen or treated in the music industry overall.

I mean what is today the REAL meaning of or the difference of:

A) A MUSIC PRODUCER (not an executive producer) and
B) A BEAT MAKER

Because all of time i get to meat Beatmaker that does Great Beats or some just not there yet (but we all know its a matter of practicing to make it perfect) that take themselves or give themselves the Status of "Music producer". And i know that a lot of people have or make their own STATUS. So i would love to hear from "You" who've worked with the BEST out there from BEatmaker and Music producer, HOW do they or would you DEFINE the JOB of Each of them in your own WORDS and POINT OF VIEW?

So finally, what normally is the JOB of the or A Music Producer and the BEatmaker. (And we all know that major of time the Music producer be a lot of things starting from the guy who can do BEATS right?)

I'm really curious and i believe a lot here would be curious to have your Opinion on this. Thank you again for all your time and for sharing with us these great INPUTS.

All the best!

Truly

thumbsup
Old 12th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hello Mr Russell!
Its My right here and i've been reading almost all your thread and the ones that Gearslutz fellas have created asking you question and the only first thing i can say is: THANK YOU so so so much for taking the time to respond because its not everyday that we got the chance in real life to get to exchange with people that inspires our work daily. So for that "Hands down and Thumbs up" for the inspiration. Thank you.
I also because this thread is about Production, i would love to hear from a very respected and known Music Engineer like you, reknown all over and who have worked with so many great and big talent and artist, how does these two Status are seen or treated in the music industry overall.

I mean what is today the REAL meaning of or the difference of:
A) A MUSIC PRODUCER (not an executive producer) and
B) A BEAT MAKER
Because all of time i get to meat Beatmaker that does Great Beats or some just not there yet (but we all know its a matter of practicing to make it perfect) that take themselves or give themselves the Status of "Music producer". And i know that a lot of people have or make their own STATUS. So i would love to hear from "You" who've worked with the BEST out there from BEatmaker and Music producer, HOW do they or would you DEFINE the JOB of Each of them in your own WORDS and POINT OF VIEW?

So finally, what normally is the JOB of the or A Music Producer and the BEatmaker. (And we all know that major of time the Music producer be a lot of things starting from the guy who can do BEATS right?)
I'm really curious and i believe a lot here would be curious to have your Opinion on this. Thank you again for all your time and for sharing with us these great INPUTS. All the best! Truly thumbsup
hello solar,

this is an interesting subject. the role or definition of a producer today is not the same as it was pre-1980. today, i think it has mostly to do with the genre of music. in hip hop, and in most of the r&b world, the "beat maker" or "song writer" is considered the producer. but now that i think about it, hip hop/r&b (some pop stuff) are the ONLY genres where the producer's role is not seperate from the songwriter's role. in other genres, like rock for instance, the artist is usually writing the songs and the producer is giving suggestions on arrangement or getting the best performance from the band/artist. this is more of what i would be doing as a producer. getting the best performance from everyone, making sure the session is running smoothly, getting the right people together, getting the vision or concept of the project materialized. this is the traditional producer role, like phil spector, tom dowd, george martin, etc.

these days there might be 5 different producers and 5 engineers on one album. IMHO this makes for an album which is more "single" driven and unfocused. and the role of the artist is more or less a puppet and is just told what to do. this is fine for some artists but also frustrating for other artists. there is a lot of talented singer/songwriters out there but are not given the oppurtunity because the market is saturated (by the labels) with the one hit wonders. the labels are not so concerned with having a career artist like they did in the past. the labels used to give more attention to their artists like aretha franklin or stevie wonder were helped to develop their careers. now it's, more than ever, about the disposable artist...but there's hope. i think the industry is shifting a little toward the songer/songwriter, especially with the successes of the independent labels. let's try and help the shift further.

all the best
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post

[/B]for anyone interested check "what's moving you now..." as i'll be talking about keziah and krystle there.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=115527

cheers

Hey Russell, I emailed you. Please let me know if there's a better means of contacting you and if we can converse privately.

All the best.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the difficult part is now finding the artists to produce who will fit my musical personality...someone who knows my style...
Yes! I'm looking for an amazing co-producer! heh Hehe! But seriously I think we would make a good team!

I just finished mixing my demo this week! I put the four songs up on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/highhouseproductions

Russell, I'd be honored if you would listen to the songs.

If you ever need an assistent engineer/producer/songwriter/coffee-maker/etc don't hestitate to contact me! I'll be in NY before you know it!

Best regards,
Anders
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the difficult part is now finding the artists to produce who will fit my musical personality...someone who knows my style...

for anyone interested check "what's moving you now..." as i'll be talking about keziah and krystle there.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=115527

cheers
Hi Russel,

another one joining the (probably very long) list of artists who would love to have you for producer heh. The artist is Alise, Dutch singer and songwriter who also plays trumpet. I'm the co-writer and arranger and take care of the production for now together with Alise. Alise is unsigned and due to the conservative nature of the small Dutch record industry we have to look abroad to devellop our music. All the ideas are there, the sound isn't there yet. Style is a mixture of pop, soul and jazz. You can listen to some of the demos at myspace.com/alisemusic and some older demos, live material and a bio in english at alisemusic.com.

We would be very honoured if you had the time to listen to our work. We'll always be listening to yours

all the best
Budy

ps: I've send you a private email as well.
Old 14th April 2007
Gear Addict

Hi Russell,

I'm looking for extra producers to work with my sister Amber Melody

www.myspace.com/ambermelody

I've not thrown any music on her page yet as she's in current talks with a major.

She UK born and has a rich jazzy Roberta Flack / Alecia / Mary J / Lilly Allen sound.

Her pen is dope too, real topics, real lyrics. I hate to say such a cliche it but shes gonna be massive.

hit me on the private messaging here if your interested.

oh and for me you can read up a little here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Jackson
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you very much!!

Quote:
hello solar,

this is an interesting subject. the role or definition of a producer today is not the same as it was pre-1980. today, i think it has mostly to do with the genre of music. in hip hop, and in most of the r&b world, the "beat maker" or "song writer" is considered the producer. but now that i think about it, hip hop/r&b (some pop stuff) are the ONLY genres where the producer's role is not seperate from the songwriter's role. in other genres, like rock for instance, the artist is usually writing the songs and the producer is giving suggestions on arrangement or getting the best performance from the band/artist. this is more of what i would be doing as a producer. getting the best performance from everyone, making sure the session is running smoothly, getting the right people together, getting the vision or concept of the project materialized. this is the traditional producer role, like phil spector, tom dowd, george martin, etc.

these days there might be 5 different producers and 5 engineers on one album. IMHO this makes for an album which is more "single" driven and unfocused. and the role of the artist is more or less a puppet and is just told what to do. this is fine for some artists but also frustrating for other artists. there is a lot of talented singer/songwriters out there but are not given the oppurtunity because the market is saturated (by the labels) with the one hit wonders. the labels are not so concerned with having a career artist like they did in the past. the labels used to give more attention to their artists like aretha franklin or stevie wonder were helped to develop their careers. now it's, more than ever, about the disposable artist...but there's hope. i think the industry is shifting a little toward the songer/songwriter, especially with the successes of the independent labels. let's try and help the shift further.

all the best
Hello Mr Russell!

Thank thank you very very much for taking the time to respond to my thread. Really appreciate and i totally agree that Music producer back in the days was totally different thing then today. But again i wanted to hear the opinion of an well established Producer/Engineer and more like you.. its always good to have great feedback cuz we learn from them.

again thanx a million...

I will be sending you a PM soon! Truly

My
Old 19th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je55 View Post
Hi Russell,
I'm looking for extra producers to work with my sister Amber Melody
www.myspace.com/ambermelody
I've not thrown any music on her page yet as she's in current talks with a major.
She UK born and has a rich jazzy Roberta Flack / Alecia / Mary J / Lilly Allen sound.
Her pen is dope too, real topics, real lyrics. I hate to say such a cliche it but shes gonna be massive.
hit me on the private messaging here if your interested.
oh and for me you can read up a little here..
Jess Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hello jess,

can't seem to send you a message from here. you should try sending me one from here. click on my name and you can hit me up...heh

best
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search