The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snaps, Claps and things???
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Snaps, Claps and things???

Peace Russell...

First off I'd like to start by saying that I appreciate the work you've done for the artists that you have worked with, and also taking the time in "speaking" with us on GS.

Voodoo and Like Water for Chocolate are two of my most favored albums on sonic quality alone. I can't deny the fact that I use both albums to reference when I mixing my own material. I didn't realize that you mixed Voodoo when it released, for some reason I thought that (and please don't take offense) Bob Power mixed it. Unfortunately that assumption was done by association...but Voodoo did put you one my radar as an inovator in the industry. Regardless, between you and Bob I couldn't think of anyone else I'd have mix my material besides myself. So in reading your posts I feel that I'm going in the right direction in how I approach trying to acheive "that sound". I say this because when I'm asked by my peers how I got "that sound" I'm getting now, my responses are similar to what I've read in all your posts. So thanx for pushing the envelope and making music I love have life.

Now for my simple question... I was listening to Voodoo recently and I have to ask.... How did/do you capture the snaps and hand claps on the album or when you record? What micing techniques, polar patterns, signal chain, etc....did you use? On Voodoo it just sounds so natural that I just have to ask. Is it because it was recorded to tape? what is it? I know it's something simple, but it's something that I'd ask you over a cup of coffee, ya know? But we've never met and I don't drink coffee. So hopefully in the future I'll be able to watch you work... until then... Thanx ahead for your time.

PS.... I forgot to mention Mama's Gun as well.
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for making this thread! the quality of this album is indeed amazing
Old 4th April 2007
Gear addict

Yes! The finger snaps at the start of Voodoo sound incredible. People think I'm crazy when I rave about the sound of snapping, but the way you captured it is stunning. You really feel like they are standing right next to you, snapping in your ear.

After reading your post on capturing the initial transients, I think that must have a lot to do with the sound. Thanks again for everything Russ!

-Ryan Miller
Old 6th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
Peace Russell...
Now for my simple question...How did/do you capture the snaps and hand claps on the album or when you record? What micing techniques, polar patterns, signal chain, etc....did you use? On Voodoo it just sounds so natural that I just have to ask. Is it because it was recorded to tape? what is it? I know it's something simple, but it's something that I'd ask you over a cup of coffee, ya know? But we've never met and I don't drink coffee. So hopefully in the future I'll be able to watch you work... until then... Thanx ahead for your time.
hello,

thanks very much for everyone's compliments heh
if my memory is correct, i used mostly tube mics like a u67 and u47 through neve pre's. expensive clap tracks huh? for the snaps i had them each about a foot (30.5cm) away and the claps about 2 feet. i remember they played them all live and we didn't loop it. and in the mix, i believe i used the console compressor without much eq, if at all. i do think recording to tape was a factor as well as D and ahmir having the loudest snaps and claps i've ever heard anyone play.

cheers
Old 6th April 2007
Lives for gear

Great snapping! Hehe
But I totally agree, it sounds awesome! And the rimshot/clap/snap combo is just priceless and works everytime!
I actually think one of them (from "Chicken Grease" maybe?) has been sampled and used by quite a lot of beat makers! But I could be wrong!
You should sue them! heh
Old 7th April 2007
Gear interested

sue me ..(how does it feel)

for those snaps/claps, big up jaydee
Old 8th April 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
Great snapping! Hehe
But I totally agree, it sounds awesome! And the rimshot/clap/snap combo is just priceless and works everytime!
I actually think one of them (from "Chicken Grease" maybe?) has been sampled and used by quite a lot of beat makers! But I could be wrong!
You should sue them! heh
The rims, snares, claps, snaps etc. from Voodoo have been ALL over hiphop and RnB productions. Big records, even. The names escape me. I have used some 'em, too.
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
hello,

thanks very much for everyone's compliments heh
if my memory is correct, i used mostly tube mics like a u67 and u47 through neve pre's. expensive clap tracks huh? for the snaps i had them each about a foot (30.5cm) away and the claps about 2 feet. i remember they played them all live and we didn't loop it. and in the mix, i believe i used the console compressor without much eq, if at all. i do think recording to tape was a factor as well as D and ahmir having the loudest snaps and claps i've ever heard anyone play.

cheers
Russell,

Thanx for taking the time to respond... I'm honored actually.

And yes... Voodoo has been raped many of times for it's drums, ****.... ?uestlove, how can you resist?

Thanx again Russell
Old 11th April 2007
jp_
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
Great snapping! Hehe
You should sue them! heh

I've prolly heard like 50+ tracks with Voodoo Drums. Even the program FruityLoops borrows like 3 or 4 samples from Voodoo's drums to make up it's Hip Hop Kit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search