The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compression: SSL vs outboard
Old 4th April 2007
Gear interested

Compression: SSL vs outboard

Hey Russ.
Thanks for introducing me to gearslutz - really enjoying this forum...

Question for you: Is there ever a time when you prefer using the onboard compression on the SSL, or do you nearly always use the more boutique outboard compressors? Do you ever use a little on the board before hitting the outboard?

thanks man.
tony

Last edited by Buchman; 4th April 2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 5th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchman View Post
Hey Russ.
Thanks for introducing me to gearslutz - really enjoying this forum...
Question for you: Is there ever a time when you prefer using the onboard compression on the SSL, or do you nearly always use the more boutique outboard compressors? Do you ever use a little on the board before hitting the outboard? thanks man. tony
hey tony!

nice to see you here. you got room for me if i come out to sydney?heh
most of the time i do go for the outboard gear. but i do really like the onboard compressors on the channels. they're really useful and add a nice punch on things. and yes sometimes, on the kick for instance, i will use a little onboard before i hit the outboard. or towards the end of the mix and everything is sitting right, and the automation is happenning, there might be that one thing that might need a slight push or tuck, in which case i'll go for the onboard.

see you soon
Old 6th April 2007
Gear interested

SSL compression E vs J/K

Always room for you brother.
In Sydney I mix on an SSL E (believe it or not - there's still a few around!). I find the compressors lack character, but often let them control the kick or rooms a little before hitting the outboard. Are the compressors on the j and k's much better? Heard they're totally different and are much more usable...

Thanks!
tony
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search